Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Career Opportunities?

Career Opportunities?
NathanA
May 18, 2002, 06:23 PM

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there are any folks on here that work for companies using MacOS X as either their development platform, target platform, or both. I just graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science from Gonzaga University and I'm searching high and low for opportunities to make a career out of what I love to do most, which is OS X development.

Any help or inquiries would be great, if you'd like to check my resum� or otherwise contact me my e-mail address should be properly listed in my profile.

Thanks,
Nathan

Embro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2002, 03:27 PM

I am a veteran {17 years} Mac developer who recently was laid off due to lack of work. I am amazed at how difficult it has been to find a new job or even contract work. There has always been lots of work but it seems to have dried up. I hope as the economy turns around things will pick up.

Good luck with your search.

My resume is at http://www.textiletech.com/myresume2.htm

Mark
My Resume

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2002, 01:31 PM

My advice would be to look for things which are obviously in need of a port, and contact the company about doing it on a contract basis for them.

Look for fairly small things, not "Quake IV" for example - game publishers are going to give game ports to established porting houses like Westlake, not to an independant contractor.

But look for things like scanner drivers, USB webcam drivers, small utilities, etc. If you see a PC app that you think would be popular on the Mac, contact the company and see if they've thought about a Mac port.

You'll have to be persistant and will likely strike out a lot, but you might get a contract here and there which will put food on the table. Naturally, you'll need to have some good samples of your work available.

Wade

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Embro:
<STRONG> I am a veteran {17 years} Mac developer who recently was laid off due to lack of work. I am amazed at how difficult it has been to find a new job or even contract work. There has always been lots of work but it seems to have dried up. I hope as the economy turns around things will pick up.

Good luck with your search.

My resume is at http://www.textiletech.com/myresume2.htm

Mark
My Resume</STRONG>
Greensboro, huh? I didn't know there was ANY Mac work in North Carolina. I graduate in December. If you just happen to stumble across any opportunities for a newbie, please let me know. I'd be willing to do some driving for a better job than Radio Shack.

(just to be clear: I'd be interested in the jobs you look at and think they don't pay enough... I read your r�sum�. I'm doing $6-7/hour now. You'd probably find a $10-15/hour job offer insulting.)

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: Detrius ]
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2002, 11:16 PM

I originally posted in the lounge, but noticed this thread, and thought I'd mention I too am seeking a Mac SE job of some sort. I don't mind doing Win32 ports, but I definitely want to be in a Mac environment when I'm sitting at my desk.

Frankly, Windows drives me nuts enough I turned down an otherwise decent job offer because they were unwilling to buy me a Mac--I think it speaks volumes about a company that is unwilling to make a small ($5000 tops) purchase to ensure an employee is as a creative as possible). The job was lead software engineer in a start-up, so it's unlikely that my failure to create well would have been unimportant to the company. Ironically, the last I heard they decided to just buy off the shelf tools (they are a research organization, not a software shop).

Ok, enough ranting.

FWIW, I too am in the NC area, but quite interested in going to either Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Denver, or West Palm Beach. If I can telecommute, that's fine, but in which case I'd like to relocate to the KY-Lexington area.

On the bright side, there are a LOT more job postings out there than there were 6-8 months ago.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2002, 12:39 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Bwa:
<strong>I originally posted in the lounge, but noticed this thread, and thought I'd mention I too am seeking a Mac SE job of some sort. I don't mind doing Win32 ports, but I definitely want to be in a Mac environment when I'm sitting at my desk.

Frankly, Windows drives me nuts enough I turned down an otherwise decent job offer because they were unwilling to buy me a Mac--I think it speaks volumes about a company that is unwilling to make a small ($5000 tops) purchase to ensure an employee is as a creative as possible). The job was lead software engineer in a start-up, so it's unlikely that my failure to create well would have been unimportant to the company. Ironically, the last I heard they decided to just buy off the shelf tools (they are a research organization, not a software shop).

Ok, enough ranting.

FWIW, I too am in the NC area, but quite interested in going to either Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Denver, or West Palm Beach. If I can telecommute, that's fine, but in which case I'd like to relocate to the KY-Lexington area.

On the bright side, there are a LOT more job postings out there than there were 6-8 months ago.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Where in NC are you located? If I can get my senior project working as expected, I may be starting up my own company within the next year or so. I could possibly need some help. (I still haven't graduated from college, just so you don't get your hopes up--it's a pipe dream for me too, but I'm going to try.)
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2002, 11:54 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"><strong>Where in NC are you located? If I can get my senior project working as expected, I may be starting up my own company within the next year or so. I could possibly need some help. (I still haven't graduated from college, just so you don't get your hopes up--it's a pipe dream for me too, but I'm going to try.)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well, good luck. I'm near Greenville, SC at the moment.

I don't know that I'm interesting in joining such a thing, but am always willing to hear more. I would certainly not join a start-up that doesn't have funds to issue paychecks on time, and am somewhat wary of a heavy VC influence. I've seen too many organizations have to cease operations on a whim.

Feel free to email me at support at degana dot com.

skeedog98
Jun 19, 2002, 08:14 AM

Noticed all the folk from NC and SC in here. I may graduate from USC next year, finally after my 5th, with my BS in Comp Engr. So I spend my time between Cola and Charleston.

Forum Links
Forum Rules