Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Floyd reforming with Roger Waters

Floyd reforming with Roger Waters
Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 08:35 PM

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2005, 09:01 PM

Awwww.. Misleading thread title.
You had me all excited.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 09:12 PM

Only a one time deal for charity. No need to get excited...

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 09:16 PM

I read a little bit about Mason performing with Waters in Inside Out. Good book, by the way. I was just saying the other day that I'd wish they would get back together again.

REM, U2, Coldplay…how the hell do you walk on stage after Pink Floyd? I mean, maybe McCartney, but REM is nothing compared to Floyd.
"Alright, "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. Next up is…REM to play "Losing My Religion." Oh, man I wish I could get a tape of that. Best guitar solo followed by most annoying song ever.
It might only be a one time thing, but I hope the Gilmour camp is like, "Alright, maybe Roger has mellowed over twenty four years. Meh, wouldn't be so bad…" I doubt it, but seeing them on stage together is equal to the Stones concert I'm going to.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 09:32 PM

I would not be at all surprised that if it goes well for them at the show that they don't go out for a tour....they know how much $$$ it could bring in and add to their retirement funds.....one final "goodbye" tour done properly for the fans.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 10:41 PM

I hope the concert is video taped and then marketed.

I've seen Pink Floyd 3 times, but I was too young to ever see Waters play in the band.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gilmour's stuff, but Pink Floyd has a much grittier feel with Waters. Gilmour has a definitely smoother feel to his writing and guitar playing. I prefer Gilmour's voice, but I like Water's guitar better.

On a side note: Dave has done quite well in the wife department!

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
I would not be at all surprised that if it goes well for them at the show that they don't go out for a tour....they know how much $$$ it could bring in and add to their retirement funds.....one final "goodbye" tour done properly for the fans.
My wife and I would be investors in just such a situation. Travel would not be out of the question if the venue warranted it.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
prefer Gilmour's voice, but I like Water's guitar better.
You actually think Waters is a better guitarist than Gilmour?
Really?
Like, really really?
Not to make a big issue of this, but you've listened to Pink Floyd before, right? You've listened to Water's solo albums, right?

Water's guitar better...
Wow...

That's interseting.

Wack.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 11:07 PM

Yeah really...

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:11 PM

I concur. I also noticed Rolling Stone put David Gilmour below Joni Mitchell in their list. Duane Allman number 2. What a joke. Eddie Van Halen…70.

I've listened to almost all of the Floyd stuff there is, sans 2 live CD's. I think I have over 14 hours of Floyd, even the obscure **** like More, Obscured By Clouds, and Relics.

Arnold Layne…had a strange body

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 11:13 PM

Oh YEAH!? I have TONS of bootleg stuff. SO TAKE THAT.

I am talking live rare recordings!

From teh 70s!

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:15 PM

Oh yeah, well, I wasn't alive in the 70's and I'll give you $15 for anything ya got so there!

Who has mint copied of The Madcap Laughs and Barret?
Who has over 1.5GB of space in a 70GB HD devoted to Floyd?
Also, who's arguing over the size of their penis, er, Pink Floyd collection [equally important] over the internet for no reason when it's clear both parties know Floyd and have no use of arguing, but will keep going back and forth in very large, rambling run-on interrogative sentences?

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
You actually think Waters is a better guitarist than Gilmour?
Really?
Like, really really?
Not to make a big issue of this, but you've listened to Pink Floyd before, right? You've listened to Water's solo albums, right?

Water's guitar better...
Wow...

That's interseting.

Wack.
I wasn't clear... Prefer Water's music writing for guitar than Gilmour's music writing for guitar. I do think Gilmour has a better ability to play, but his music writing ability is behind Water's. IMHO.

Clear?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
I wasn't clear... Prefer Water's music writing for guitar than Gilmour's music writing for guitar. I do think Gilmour has a better ability to play, but his music writing ability is behind Water's. IMHO.

Clear?
Yes, that's better. I disagree, but at least the clarification helps. Most of the guitar lines from Floyd came out of Gilmour's mind, such as the line that created the foundation for Shine on you Crazy Diamond. Waters is a self indulgent genius, but I'd take Gilmour any day.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
Who has mint copied of The Madcap Laughs and Barret?
Unless they're first-edition vinyls, that's a pretty worthless statement.

Actually, later-edition vinyl would be interesting, too - just not the recent re-issues.

But a "mint" CD - hah!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 05:01 AM

I guess they won't be playing Learning To Fly.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2005, 05:09 AM

Well, so Live 8 will actually be worth watching. 19 days to go, eh? Can't wait!

Most of the guitar lines from Floyd came out of Gilmour's mind, such as the line that created the foundation for Shine on you Crazy Diamond. Waters is a self indulgent genius, but I'd take Gilmour any day.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 06:27 AM

Actually, while this is sensational news, musically, it's going to be pretty much just of historical interest.

The chemistry that made Pink Floyd a truly great band got burned up in the Wall and the subsequent animosities (witness the tired whining of The Final Cut for evidence).

Gilmour, Mason, and Wright have made some pretty decent albums since then, but even so, it's pretty clear (and Mason has explicitly said so) that they're in it for the money.

That said, if I'm wrong and this show is more than the usual rock-legends-get-back-together-for-a-mediocre-show-all-but-reminiscent-of-former-glory, and they *do* hit it off and end up going on tour, I'll be in line for tickets first day.

-s*

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 08:31 AM

i wouldn't say waters writes better music than gilmour, but he does easily beat gilmour in writing lyrics. waters used clapton on "pros and cons", i think.
one post closer to five stars

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 09:04 AM

I got a question. It's dumb, but I've heard Poles Apart somewhere in a movie before. Anyones? I know I heard Remember A Day before I bought "A Saucerful Of Secrets."

Rolling Stones concert vs. Pink Floyd concert. Hmmm
I don't think I'd give up Stones tickets to see a reunited Floyd…unless it was a one time tour. They're all about the same age, too.
BTW, I do say he has done well in the wife department. Looks like a 20 year age difference there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules