Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need 802.11g/n/b (?) for my MDD G4

Need 802.11g/n/b (?) for my MDD G4
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2007, 12:06 AM

The Mac Pro may go to my moms place since it has wireless while my MDD G4 doesn't (supports 802.11b). Since the 802.11b card isn't sold anymore I can't get it. My mom has a Airport Extreme 802.11n base-station. I am on the third floor while her office is on the first floor where the Internet connection, base-station, printer, etc will be (esp don't want her external HD in my room connected to AE and being noisy while trying to sleep).

What are my options PCI 802.11g wise for Mac? If I could get an 802.11b card, how well would it work on the 802.11n network (my understanding is that the slowest device is what the network will run at). I am in Vancouver B.C. if anyone wants to sell/give a used 802.11b working card to me.

Thanks for the help.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 8, 2007, 09:12 AM

You can, however, pick up an original Airport 802.11b card from eBay for $50-60.

For PCI, MacWireless has an 802.11g card at a not too unreasonable price.

There're also the USB WIFI adapters, but since your MDD is limited to USB 1.1, it might not be worthwhile unless you find a cheap used one.

Mixing n and g appears to work okay, b and n are another matter.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Thanks. Anyone use this card? My mom has green lighted the card, though should I wait for n since everything else is or will be N?
--Stephen King

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
should I wait for n since everything else is or will be N?
No.
Unless you plan on doing a lot of large file transfers between computers on a regular basis, and I mean gigs of data per day, then I would not see what added benefit you could get from a 802.11n over g.
And if all you are going to do it surf the net and maybe share iTunes music then you wouldn't see any difference.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:43 PM

Well she will have a 320GB HD hooked up to AE so I will need to access it wirelessly. but I also need to think over the next 3-years as needs grow (will not be upgrading the card) also have a 10mb Internet connection (well within g limits). Will need to move big scans from the scanner downstairs as well.
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules