Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple monitors display only 262,144 colors??

Apple monitors display only 262,144 colors??
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 09:33 AM

Apple is being sued because it's iMac monitors can only display 262,144 colors, though it advertised them as capable to display “millions of colors”.

What do you think? I think if it is true, Apple should get a kick in the butt for deceptive ads and selling inferior products.

Apple Sued Over iMac�s Lack Of �Millions Of Colors�

OreoCookie
Apr 1, 2008, 09:54 AM

No, not Apple monitors, but most (cheap) TN displays. That includes many portables (including at least 15" MacBook Pros) and now the 20" iMac. The old 20" iMac has used a more expensive S-IPS panel that used 8 bit-per channel circuits. Cheap TN monitors just give you 6 bit per color.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 10:07 AM

I didn't take this story very seriously at first--but it seems to have merit. If it turns out that Apple is actually using inferior materials than previous generations that will certainly affect my buying decision as I'm up for a new laptop soon.

OreoCookie
Apr 1, 2008, 10:41 AM

What are you using now?
BTW, I wouldn't really say inferior, I would say, they go more with the industry standard here. I hope Apple will somehow reverse this when 8 bit panels become available (again) for small displays.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2008, 02:22 PM

Been true for years with the laptops. Got to do something to keep margins up on the iMacs since they continue to use the laptop CPU/chipset/GPU which raises costs over the competition.

Palm got nailed for advertising their 4096 color PDAs as 65k colors (using spatial dithering, IIRC), but Apple hasn't had a big lawsuit loss yet over their temporal dithering.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 02:59 PM

I got reamed by this very issue after I had the display panel in my girlfriend's MacBook replaced. Apple uses four different manufacturers for their MacBook displays -- LG/Philips, Samsung, Optronics, and Chi Mei. It's relatively easy to figure out, through software, which one you have.

The colours on the original panel (an LG/Philips) were superb. The colours on the replacement (a Samsung) were absolutely disgusting. It was also noticeably dimmer. Not even Leopard's slightly-transparent menus were being displayed without major dithering, making everything look like a grid/pixelized mess.

I brought the issue up with a contact I have at Apple HQ, as well as my tech, and they both agreed to try to resolve it by replacing the panel again. This time I got an Optronics display, and the colours are just as good, if not better, than the original LG/Philips.

There is dithering on all the displays (can be seen using a test image), but in the better two, the only really visible dithering is in the extremities of the red band. The Samsung was visibly dithering ~30% of the test image.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 01:36 AM

I'm going to post some follow-up information because I've had some inquiries about the above post:

You can use ColorSync Utility to check up on which model of LCD you have in your MacBook. The steps are simple:

1. Open ColorSync Utility
2. Click "Color LCD" under Displays
3. Click "Open" beside the color profile information
4. In the new window, scroll down to item #13

The "Model" field is the one to look for. It should be one of these:

9C5E/5E9C - Chi Mei N133I1
9C5C/5C9C - Au Optronics B133EW01
9C5B/5B9C - Samsung LTN133W1
9C5F/5F9C - LG Philips LP133WX1

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
I'm going to post some follow-up information because I've had some inquiries about the above post:

You can use ColorSync Utility to check up on which model of LCD you have in your MacBook. The steps are simple:

Thanks for that. Turns out I have the LG/Philips screen; no wonder why I think its so much better than some others with MacBooks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2008, 12:07 AM

It's a non-issue for 99% of the people.

They wouldn't know the difference unless you told them. Stupid litigious Amaraca.

-t

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2008, 12:57 AM

Well, whether or not they would notice the difference surely is not the issue. If Apple is claiming something that is not true, that's grounds for litigation.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
If you had seen the **** Samsung panel Apple tried to peddle, you wouldn't say that.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 05:40 AM

My screen has dreadful colour representation, as well as the worst dithering ive ever seen on an lcd!!!!

Went to the apple shop to quiz them about it, and i was told that "ALL" lcds are like this..... errrrr no they are not!!!!

TOMCHU= What are the chances of me getting my LCD replaced by a different brand under applecare??
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post

Turns out I have a Chi Mei, the name doesn't sound good... I've not noticed any major dithering, but I can see it if I look closely on the finer window top bar and the backlighting is pretty uneven/tinted yellowy on the right.

EDIT: If some more pixels die, I'll go get it replaced.
( Last edited by seanc; Apr 13, 2008 at 12:30 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2008, 07:47 AM

They wouldn't know the difference unless you told them. Stupid litigious Amaraca
The difference in brightness alone is stunning.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 03:00 PM

First, make sure that your screen is actually doing the ugly dithering (compare it to a friends' or something), then ...

Work your way up the chain. Be respectful, but be firm. Say that this is not the standard of quality you expect from Apple (because it isn't!).

I finally ended up emailing someone at corporate about the issue, and talking to my technician at the store I go to to get repairs done. Apple agreed to send him a new display so he could install it -- but we were taking a chance because we both knew that there was no way to ensure that we would get a particular brand of display.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Turns out I have a Chi Mei, the name doesn't sound good...
CMO is one of the largest (4th, I think) LCD panel makers in the world. They own Westinghouse's LCD brand IIRC.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 09:23 PM

They wouldn't know the difference unless you told them. Stupid litigious Amaraca.

-t
I can tell the difference between TN panels and other panel types, and I'm colorblind.

Probably wouldn't be able to pick apart an MVA, PVA, or IPS monitor from each other, but put a TN panel in the room, and I'll tell you which one it is.

If I can tell the difference, anyone can.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Apr 17, 2008, 04:10 AM

You can easily tell the difference, the colors are very much dependent on the viewing angle (which is bad if you are concerned with accurate colors).

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 02:50 PM

I disagree, apple misrepresented the product they were selling. I notice a difference in the number of colors. Its not right that they did this and you grossly overstate the percentage of people who don't notice.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
you grossly overstate the percentage of people who don't notice.
Ouch, that hurt.

I put eleventy billion hours of research and study into coming up with that number. I dedicated my whole life to it.

Let nobody think I picked this number arbitrarily to make a point.

-t

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 08:58 PM

Ouch, that hurt.

I put eleventy billion hours of research and study into coming up with that number. I dedicated my whole life to it.

Let nobody think I picked this number arbitrarily to make a point.

-t
Well, you do know that 90% of all statistics are made-up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Well, you do know that 90% of all statistics are made-up.
Yes, and the remaining 70% are lies. What's your point ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules