Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Critique my home theater plans!

Critique my home theater plans!
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 12:20 PM

Ok, 'home theater' might be a bit of an exaggeration, but we're planning on getting a TV, and I'm looking for some feedback on my plan for how to set it up.

For the space we want to put it in, 42"-46" is the ideal size, and I've decided that 720p makes the most sense given the screen size and viewing distance (~11'). We're not planning on getting cable or satellite or anything like that and instead I'm just going to get an antenna for OTA HD content (we're in the Boston area, so there's no shortage of that). Most of the shows we want to watch are on broadcast anyway, and the ones that aren't are on premium channels so it doesn't make much sense to pay for all the basic channels that we'll already have as well especially when we can get the shows we want through iTunes.

Hardware wise, I think the Ölevia 342i is the best value for us. It's a 42" 720p HD ready screen. It has no built-in tuner, but that's ok, because I plan on using an HDHomeRun in combination with ElGato's EyeTV. Originally I was thinking about buying/building a MythTV box to then get the picture to the screen, but it then discovered that a Mac Mini with EyeTV is only slightly more expensive and a whole hell of a lot easier. However now I'm thinking that maybe I'll run EyeTV on my iMac (C2D) and use an Apple TV to get the content to the TV. This would seem to have the advantages of a) leaving a free license to run EyeTV on my MacBook so I can also watch recorded content there (of course I could also watch live TV there with VLC thanks to the HDHomeRun), b) having a better on-screen interface for the TV, and c) saving a bunch of money.

So the questions I have are really about usability. If I have EyeTV running on my iMac, will I be able to access live content via the Apple TV or only the recorded stuff? Is this going to be a reasonable setup, or are there better ways that I can accomplish the same goals? Getting a little more technical, would it be unreasonable, given this set up, for my media to be stored on a separate server connected to my iMac (and/or Mini) over 802.11n?

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 04:55 PM

After doing a little more research, it sounds like there isn't any way that I'd be able to watch live tv if I was using the Apple TV. So I guess it's got to be the Mini, unless someone can recommend a better solution? My biggest problem with the Mini is that the onscreen interface won't be as good. Unless there's some way to integrate EyeTV into Front Row?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2008, 06:52 PM

May I recommend an Apple TV and a TiVo HD?
The quality of cheap computer-based DVRs usually leaves much to be desired.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 10:48 PM

I wouldn't get any HDTV that doesn't support full 1920x1080 resolution. Your 720p TV has to downsample any 1080 signal resulting in a loss of information.

There's nothing wrong with 1080 on a 42".

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 01:23 AM

What movies are going to play in this home theater?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 01:25 AM

I wouldn't go with a cheapo Olevia.

I have seen those, I think, at macmall.

Better wait and get a good unit.

Better get a good quality unit with less resolution. For movies a plasma screen would be best, and of those Panasonics are great.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I wouldn't get any HDTV that doesn't support full 1920x1080 resolution. Your 720p TV has to downsample any 1080 signal resulting in a loss of information.

There's nothing wrong with 1080 on a 42".
There's very few 1080p signals out there though... Broadcast TV, which is mostly what we'll be watching, is only 720p at the most.

If we get a game system it will be a Wii, so again, no need for 1080p.

I suppose there's the very remote chance that we'll decide to get a 360 or a PS3, but I seriously doubt it, and I have no plans to get a Blu-ray player (though if I was going to I'd probably get a PS3).

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I wouldn't go with a cheapo Olevia.

I have seen those, I think, at macmall.

Better wait and get a good unit.

Better get a good quality unit with less resolution. For movies a plasma screen would be best, and of those Panasonics are great.
I've really heard nothing but good things about Olevia from people who own their TVs. They were originally a parts manufacturing company that sold LCD screens to the bigger brands and decided to cut out the middle man and start selling their own TVs as well, so it's not as though their hardware is significantly lower quality that what you'd get otherwise.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
What movies are going to play in this home theater?
Not that many, but those that we do watch will probably be off DVDs.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2008, 06:31 PM

I second the suggestion of using the TiVo HD. It is true that you have to pay a monthly subscription (or buy one when TiVo is offering their lifetime subscription plan, which still costs a grundle), but the system is genuinely user-friendly and expandable. Note that this isn't the super-expensive TiVo Series 3 -- that thing is for enthusiasts. The TiVo HD is affordable.

Some things that I like about mine:
  • I can listen to internet music through Live365
  • I can download BSG episodes from Amazon the day after they show up on TV (and same is true for most other programs)
  • The remote allows a 30-second skip (thank god!)
  • Searching for programs and programming the DVR can be done through the web

I totally understand the desire to go with a computer-based DVR system, but honestly, they're just complicated enough to be annoying and time-consuming. TiVo's worth it, I think.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:36 PM

The biggest advantage, to me, of using the EyeTV instead of a TiVo is that not only will I be able to watch stuff on the TV, but I'll be able to watch it on my computer in a windows while I'm working, or on my laptop in bed without missing a beat. I'll also be able to easily transfer recorded content to my iPhone if I'm traveling.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
The biggest advantage, to me, of using the EyeTV instead of a TiVo is that not only will I be able to watch stuff on the TV, but I'll be able to watch it on my computer in a windows while I'm working, or on my laptop in bed without missing a beat. I'll also be able to easily transfer recorded content to my iPhone if I'm traveling.
This is true. TiVo offers this through a software package called TiVoToGo or something like that. Last I heard, this software had been disabled with TiVo HD. Bear in mind, however, that transfer times take forever. Standard definition would take forty minutes to transfer a half-hour program on TiVoToGo for me. High-def could take forEVER. Not exactly the sort of thing that you'd do on a whim to watch Venture Bros in bed. More like the sort of thing you'd transfer overnight to watch on the plane the next day.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:51 PM

I just set up a 802.11n network in my home so that I can watch HD content without having to copy the file over.

In the past I've just used FireWire to transfer movies from my iMac to my MacBook at acceptable speeds (hooray for IP over FW!), before taking it into the bedroom to watch movies in bed.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 08:24 PM

There's very few 1080p signals out there though... Broadcast TV, which is mostly what we'll be watching, is only 720p at the most.

NBC and CBS broadcast in 1080i.

ABC, FOX and ESPN are 720p.

So you're statement is not accurate.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 08:37 PM

Interesting, I was not aware of that.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 7, 2008, 10:02 PM

I wasn't aware of that either. I think you're setup sounds good enough for me. Although I would want cable, I love to watch the Discovery Channel

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 09:04 AM

Yeah, there's a few non-broadcast channels I wouldn't mind having (Discovery, Showtime, HBO, and Setanta), but I just don't see it being worth the money for just those.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 9, 2008, 07:42 AM

...Unless there's some way to integrate EyeTV into Front Row?
PyeTV is a Leopard Front Row plug in for EyeTV - pyetv - Google Code

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 10:23 AM

Awesome! Thanks.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 06:15 PM

Well, my HDHomeRun came in the mail the other day along with the EyeTV software. So far, I've got to say I'm loving it. I'm using it right now with a cheap Radio Shack antenna which gets good, but not great reception, but even still I was able to watch Law & Order last night on my MacBook live in HD which was pretty awesome (and who knew that BIlly Chenowith was a detective now!). Tonight we'll be testing out the recording for the first time with Grey's Anatomy and then Lost. So far so good, and I think that with a better antenna the experience will be much better; we're getting some choppiness, especially during the day and on farther away stations, which is annoying.

At this point I'm pretty confident that a Mini hooked up to the tv with EyeTV (and PyeTV which I haven't played with yet) will do a very good job of meeting our needs.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 11:51 AM

I just set up a 802.11n network in my home so that I can watch HD content without having to copy the file over.
You're post gives me the impression that this works quite well?
I have a TimeCapsule and all the movies I tried to watch from it are choppy (no matter if HD or not)...well more like they hang every 4-5 seconds...not really choppy but unwatchable nevertheless!

What do I have to do to make this work???

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 11:52 AM

I just upgraded from a 11b Netgear to Time Capsule, and I've noticed the speed increase quite well on both my PB and 360.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

Yes, it's fast but can you watch movies which are stored on the TC?

I can transfer data with a 6-10MB/s transferrate but movies just don't play fluently...so I think the problem is somewhere else!?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 12:30 PM

I can't say, I haven't tried.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
You're post gives me the impression that this works quite well?
I have a TimeCapsule and all the movies I tried to watch from it are choppy (no matter if HD or not)...well more like they hang every 4-5 seconds...not really choppy but unwatchable nevertheless!

What do I have to do to make this work???
Yeah, actually it's not working out as well for me as I had planned either. I think it has more to do with the encoding than anything else though, as I'm able to watch live HDTV streaming across the network from my HDHomeRun just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules