Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone buying an XBOX 360 now that it is the cheapest machine on the market?

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy the 360 now that is is only $199?
Poll Options:
No, I hate XBOX regardless of the price! 2 votes (9.09%)
No, I am waiting for the model with a hard drive to hit this price. 3 votes (13.64%)
No, I'm still waiting for it to get lower. 0 votes (0%)
No, my PS3/Wii are good enough for me. 3 votes (13.64%)
Yes, that is an excellent price! 0 votes (0%)
Yeah, but I wish it came with a hard drive. 1 votes (4.55%)
I will ask for it for christmas. 3 votes (13.64%)
I already own one. 10 votes (45.45%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
Anyone buying an XBOX 360 now that it is the cheapest machine on the market?
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 07:11 PM

Starting on September 5th Microsoft has rolled back the price of their basic XBOX 360 from $279.99 to $199.99. It is now the cheapest console on the market. Anyone planning on buying this now that the price has been reduced?

I don't think I will, but only because I don't really have the space for it and the controllers around my TV.

Think Nintendo will drop their rates as well?

Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9e544564-7...077b07658.html

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 08:27 PM

I would love to have an Xbox, but before I couldn't justify the price. Maybe this will help.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 09:40 PM

Really in my mind the Clearance Price 20GB 360's are the best deal, your getting a premium xbox with the 20GB harddrive and wireless controller for 10$ cheaper than the arcade was only a week ago. Definitely a good time to buy, (if i didn't already have an elite)

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 11:57 PM

I've thought about it, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 01:24 AM

My brother mentioned this to me. The truth is, I'm not all that impressed with either the PS3 or the 360. Of course, I don't like supporting M$ in any way shape or form. But how easy is it to add a drive to the bottom end XBox?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 04:03 AM

ah, we already got one!

/monty python

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
My brother mentioned this to me. The truth is, I'm not all that impressed with either the PS3 or the 360. Of course, I don't like supporting M$ in any way shape or form. But how easy is it to add a drive to the bottom end XBox?
Very easy with a few dollars.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2008, 03:09 PM

I still see the Arcade model as a very gimped machine. They at least include a memory card now so thats not an additional cost, but it still lacks an HD cable in the box (though the same can be said for the Wii and PS3). Overall though, the most gimped part is the lack of the hard drive. I find most of the use for my 360 is based on the downloadable games, and I'd be blowing through tons of memory cards if my system didn't have a hard drive.

And it's still not the cheapest console on the market. The PS2 is still selling well, and is $129. People like to beat on Sony a lot for various things, but it's hard to find fault with their longer lifespan plans for their hardware. If people buy a PS2 or PS3, it's still money in their pocket. I think MS should have kept the old XBox alive and positioned it as the cheep console back when the 360 was higher priced. With some work, they could have opened up a lot of the XBLA games to both units. The killer 360 games would have still pushed the new console sales, while the older unit would have brought more people into the MS console world.
<This space under renovation>

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 03:40 PM

I play infrequently enough that I'm not going to need another machine to supplement my PS3 for quite a while. There are enough exciting upcoming titles and old ones I've not gotten to, that I don't think I'll be at a loss for things to play on this one console anytime soon.

Surely some XBox 360 exclusives are really amazing, but with the little time I spend gaming, it's not going to kill me to miss some good titles. I just don't pay that much attention to what's coming out for 360, so's not to start coveting the good exclusives.

Maybe if/when a hard-drive unit hits the 200-dollar mark, I'll start giving it some more thought. But by then we might be on the verge of a new generation of consoles.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
... I don't like supporting M$ in any way shape or form...
Can't say i blame you on that... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169798 . I keep this company's products at arms length. Microsoft ? more like 'Dodgy'soft.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Can't say i blame you on that... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169798 . I keep this company's products at arms length. Microsoft ? more like 'Dodgy'soft.
Yeah, but it's not like Sony is Mother Teresa.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Think Nintendo will drop their rates as well?
Nope. everyone is still going crazy looking for them in stores.

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
Nope. everyone is still going crazy looking for them in stores.
I'm still hoping for a price drop on them for Christmas. $250 is still quite a bit to spend on a console in my opinion.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 07:54 PM

If you are selling out everywhere at $250, why would you charge less?

Rumor
Sep 10, 2008, 06:11 AM

Can a hard drive be installed with these models?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 11:03 AM

Yes, you have 2 options. 20GB or a 120GB.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008, 02:35 AM

The "Arcade" appears to be a pretty desperate attempt to get the system to a reasonable price point (maybe they should have included an HD-DVD drive as standard, heh!) and pray that the customer base doesn't really look at how the XB360 and PS3 compare. I'd rather have a Zune than an Xbox, and I really don't want a Zune.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yeah, but it's not like Sony is Mother Teresa.
Oh yea, Sony's got 'evil cooperation' written all over it, but not as far along in the process of world domination as Microsoft .

On the issue of RRoD..... that story i linked from above has a follow up.... http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/12/mi...o-venturebeat/

Whistle blowers beware, i guess.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules