Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So who's the liar, Apple or Google?

So who's the liar, Apple or Google?
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 05:23 PM

According to Apple, they "never rejected" the Google Voice application. But according to Google, they did. So who's telling the truth? My opinion is that it is Apple. Though I don't know how they thought they could get away with it.

Apple's Letter to the FCC:
Apple Answers the FCC’s Questions

Google's Letter to the FCC:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/releases/918...ing_iPhone.pdf

Related Article:
Google Says Apple Rejected Voice App -- InformationWeek

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2009, 05:25 PM

Apple, and possibly AT&T as well.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 05:39 PM

Apple for sure in this case.

AT&T did lie however when they said they never get involved in the approval process as obviously they did when it came to apps that use a lot of network traffic.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2009, 07:22 PM

Apple was weasel-wording.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 07:24 PM

Apple.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2009, 08:35 AM

Definitely Apple.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2009, 11:14 AM

Is this really a case of "what do you mean by the word 'is'?" If Apple did not generate a form letter that said "Your app is rejected," they can honestly say "we didn't reject the app," even if they told Google "it won't ever go on the App Store." Likewise, AT&T could be as honest, but careful in their wording.

In any case, this is business involving lawyers. Doesn't that say there's going to be at least two layers of untruth in the whole thing?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2009, 01:32 PM

I think I'm going to google the answer

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2009, 02:31 PM

This is typical of Apple. They don't allow themes in OSX because they don't want people hacking and replacing the core OS for stability and support reasons. They have mentioned in interviews that support becomes difficult when you ask someone over the phone to click the red close button but they say they don't see one only a pink kitten shaped button (due to some theme). Remember how the first mac didn't even let you open up the hardware? Even now apple makes some hardware a pain to open and upgrade (Mac Mini).

Same goes for the iPhone. The beauty of it is that it is super easy to use and you can grab anyone else iPhone/iPod and know exactly what to do. Once you no longer have to click on the green phone icon and on the google icon instead Apple feels as if you are destroying the whole user experience and the essence of what the phone itself is meant to represent. Clean, simple, constant.

I understand where they are coming from 100% but Apple shouldn't have the right to reject an app that is a major worldwide service that can save people tons of money from greedy telecoms.

I also get the feeling that Apple rejected it knowing that AT&T would also definitely have a problem with it as it takes away much of AT&T's core business (minutes, add on features, voicemail, text, long distance). AT&T might be telling the truth when they say they didn't reject it as it didn't get that far yet.

We all know AT&T sets limitations on data apps. They rejected VOIP calling on data plans (wifi only). They don't want any video streaming apps other than youtube. They set limitations on app size downloads currently and in the past song downloading, delayed tethering and MMS because their shitty network just can't handle it.

We were lucky here in Canada to have MMS right after it was announced not to mention they also gave us tethering for free with our data plans (for now). On the other hand we also have data size caps ranging from 1 or 6 gig plans. I've gone absolutely nuts with data downloading a 800meg 10.6 beta update over 3G, stream music all the time from home and internet, surf and email as I like and I have never gone over 1.1 gigs in a month. All my friends average under 500megs a month at worst.

I think that the best solution is for AT&T and Apple to allow more freedom of apps that use data but to set data caps. That way if you are using VOIP calling you have to treat your data a bit like minutes. I seriously doubt that someone could easily exceed 6gigs and my telecom reported that under 5% came even close to using up their caps.

Most of all though, AT%T really needs to upgrade their network to support more data.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Most of all though, AT%T really needs to upgrade their network to support more data.
AT&T won't even upgrade their infrastructure when they're given free money to do it. They're in the business of making money, not making their customers happy. When you're in a tightly controlled oligopoly, you don't have to care about making customers happy. So that just leaves making money.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2009, 12:56 AM

This is typical of Apple. They don't allow themes in OSX because they don't want people hacking and replacing the core OS for stability and support reasons.
Err, no. Apple doesn't allow themes because they want a stable, unified user experience. Theming is a horrible replacement for an UI that works right from the start.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2009, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Err, no. Apple doesn't allow themes because they want a stable, unified user experience. Theming is a horrible replacement for an UI that works right from the start.
There is no single interface that is universally ideal, for any number of reasons.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2009, 02:39 AM

I don't think that not supporting theming has much to do with trying to preserve the user experience they had originally intended, but in brand awareness and marketing. If skinning your OS was a more mainstream thing to do, it would be very hard to identify a Mac without looking closely at the hardware. When you see a Mac on TV it is almost instantly recognizable by the dock, the fonts used, perhaps some of the icons, etc. The user experience argument is a valid one, and I think that this is true to an extent, but the sex appeal of having a Mac is in part what sustains Apple. If people were to associate a Mac with some guy's tacky Star Trek themed desktop much of this would be diminished.

Us computer geeks aren't always known for our good taste. I wear a bow tie and top hat all the time that my wife thinks looks stupid.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2009, 02:56 AM

Same goes for the iPhone. The beauty of it is that it is super easy to use and you can grab anyone else iPhone/iPod and know exactly what to do. Once you no longer have to click on the green phone icon and on the google icon instead Apple feels as if you are destroying the whole user experience and the essence of what the phone itself is meant to represent. Clean, simple, constant.
Maybe I'm missing something, but was the Google Voice app designed to replace the iPhone's dialer, or merely be an alternative to it? If the original dialer is there, I don't see the problem.

Not to mention that Google's damn good ad designing "clean and simple" UIs themselves.

My phone is jailbroken, and I have a theme that replaces most of the core app icons. When someone else uses my iPhone, they don't immediately know which icon to tap (if they don't read). Then again, someone shouldn't be using my iPhone without my permission to begin with...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2009, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Not to mention that Google's damn good ad designing "clean and simple" UIs themselves.
*snort*

Google's UIs are utilitarian at best. There is a reason why their lead designer quit.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2009, 11:03 AM

What a silly thing to say. If a person chooses to theme their OS, it means that for them, the theme's interface is better than what was previously given to them. The standard Mac layout and design might be best according to the opinion of someone at Apple, but that doesn't mean that it is the best for everyone. And the issue isn't whether it "works right from the beginning"... a theme doesn't change how it "works", it just changes what it looks like.

I agree 100% with what besson3c said; it is a marketing issue, not a usability issue.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2009, 12:53 PM

Err, isn't that the same thing as I was saying?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2009, 01:11 PM

Apple claims to be still studying Google Voice. They are possibly investigating native integration of Google Voice with the iPhone phone app, because a native Android + Google Voice phone app could be the "killer app" for Android.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2009, 01:14 PM

I think they're all liars and Google Voice was banned by the Turkmenistan government.

Forum Links
Forum Rules