Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why does iPhone treat SMS replies differently than initial message?

Why does iPhone treat SMS replies differently than initial message?
FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 09:56 AM

I noticed that my iPhone treats replies in an ongoing conversation by text messages differently than original messages, in regards to sound and notification. Particularly, the sound it produces is completely different and the volume is much lower, and the reply doesn't appear in an overlay over the iPod app (for exemple), which make me miss a lot of replies because I often put the phone in my pocket while waiting and I often don't hear the reply, or I simply don't see it if I just wake the phone because it will not show up on top of other app. Yesterday I was waiting for a reply so I put the phone on my desk and regularly checked by waking up the phone, but nothing showed up.. It was only an hour later when I returned to the SMS app that I noticed that the person had written back an hour ago, but I was never notified of that fact...

Why did Apple make it that way?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I noticed that my iPhone treats replies in an ongoing conversation by text messages differently than original messages, in regards to sound and notification. Particularly, the sound it produces is completely different and the volume is much lower, and the reply doesn't appear in an overlay over the iPod app (for exemple), which make me miss a lot of replies because I often put the phone in my pocket while waiting and I often don't hear the reply, or I simply don't see it if I just wake the phone because it will not show up on top of other app. Yesterday I was waiting for a reply so I put the phone on my desk and regularly checked by waking up the phone, but nothing showed up.. It was only an hour later when I returned to the SMS app that I noticed that the person had written back an hour ago, but I was never notified of that fact...

Why did Apple make it that way?
Apple didn't make it that way - all SMS replies should have popup notifications just like the original message (at least they do on my phone).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

-Q-
Jul 8, 2010, 10:13 AM

That's not the behavior I see. If I leave the Text app open, it'll make the noise but it won't pop up the notification. But if I close it, I get the notification overlay. Those will sometimes get dismissed by another app's notification but that's more of a problem with how Apple deals with notifications system-wide than the Text app, I think.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 10:32 AM

You definitely need to get in the habit of hitting the lock button once you're done, or as -Q- said, you get the weak sound and lose the notification. I used to miss messages all the time before I got in this habit.*

Of course, now I have a similar problem wherein I'll hit the lock screen and walk away/pocket it, which means I won't notice a sending error. If your reception is spotty, you have to ride herd on the weak outgoing sound.

* Just to be clear here, this only happens if you get a text in that minute before the phone automatically locks itself. After it's done that, you'll get proper (loud) sound and notification.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM. )

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 10:58 AM

A few times it happened while it was not locked, but yesterday the phone was definitively locked, and when I pressed the Home button, all I saw was the background and the Slide to unlock, without any pop-up, so I assumed that I didn't receive any new reply.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 11:02 AM

I can't say I've never had it miss a notification when it was locked, but it's been really uncommon in my experience. It most definitely shouldn't be happening enough where it's noticeable.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 11:13 AM

OK, it must be a random bug then.. It just happened again! I woke up the phone and saw nothing, then unlocked it and there was a new reply in the sms app (which was still open). Then, the next reply showed a pop-up.. strange!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 11:20 AM

Do what I do. Blame AT&T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules