Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine won't let me restore a folder

Time Machine won't let me restore a folder
FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2010, 10:47 PM

I had to leave my iMac to an Apple Store Genius for a couple of days to fix a problem, and I deleted some files for privacy, but when I tried to restore a particular folder, Time Machine says I don't have access to that file. I didn't reinstall the OS or mess with the users. It's just a straight restore. I tried repairing permission but it didn't fix it. I'm an admin user and the permission is set to read & write for my user, so I don't know why TM says I don't have the right permission. The exact message is:

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access “screenshots”

any idea?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2010, 03:26 AM

Go into Backups.backupdb/<your machine name>/Latest, find the folder, and copy it manually using the Finder.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2010, 09:57 PM

it won't screw up anything? i thought about logging in as root and do a manual copy but I was afraid it would mess up something

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 02:00 AM

Logging in as root is a terrible thing to do, and can easily mess up something. Manually copying it while logged into your normal user account, and entering the password when prompted, will not (unless, of course, you're replacing crucial system files or something. But it sounds like you're just restoring something you already deleted, which should be fine).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 02:16 PM

Damn it, it gives me the same error as before, even when doing a manual copy. That's really strange..

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 02:17 PM

One thing I've noticed, is that it always succeed to copy the same 20 files before the error happens.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 02:20 PM

Okay, I got it! I figured out some files were having incorrect permission inside the folder, so I selected "Apply to enclosed files" and so far it seems to be working, even within Time Machine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules