Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Feedback on my brand idea

Feedback on my brand idea
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2011, 03:30 PM

I'm in the process of starting my own marketing/design business and have an idea I want to run by some people.

I'd like to call the company PhydeauxCreates. Something quirky and has personal meaning to me but still general enough to expand later. I've been playing around with some logo/business card concepts. This is really just the start. This idea would change according to its purpose. For instance:
On my website, I'd have tabs:
PhydeauxDesigns- showing my graphic design
PhydeauxSpeaks- my blog
PhydeauxFetches- my contact/email
etc. You get the idea. Can you take a look at where I'm at so far and let me know what you think of the overall idea/concept? I've had varied opinions on the name and domain, still trying to nail it down.
Thanks.
Logo/BC Concepts

andi*pandi
Jan 24, 2011, 05:19 PM

I like the pun, and the tab labels sound fun. I would worry that it would be hard for others to spell this variation of Fido, especially in URLs, searching, etc.

The sans serif you are using on most of your mockups is very nice. Not sure about the handwriting font, but it is a good contrast. I like the mockups that are more playful (bouncing ball). I didn't like the one example actually showing a dog, but I wonder if you need to have some kind of dog element there to maintain the pun (a dog balancing a ball on his nose, or crop it down to just his nose and the ball peeking over the edge of the card). Then again, if you have too much of a doggie feel I wonder if people will think you are running a dog training service of some kind.

Why are you going for the dog pun?

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2011, 05:50 PM

It's really a personal thing, I guess. Something different and a name version I always liked. However, like you said, the spelling could lead to my demise in terms of getting people to my site. It's not a web-based business necessarily, but still. I did a lot of brainstorming and stuck with this name at least for the time being. I'm trying it on for a while before I go back to the drawing board.

Also, I was planning on donating 5% (or something) of the bottom line to animal charities.

andi*pandi
Jan 25, 2011, 12:04 PM

That's cool. I do like the name. For some reason that spelling also makes it seem more european/industrial age/steampunk. Lots of fun possibilities.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2011, 02:17 AM

I don't know about a dog called Phydeaux, but you are riding the same hobby horse like most business founders.

I did it myself, and wasted months accumulating lists of names, reading three books about naming (no kidding) and coming to the conclusion the name doesn't really matter as long as it's not stupid or limiting.

Yours could be limiting. You don't know what you'll be doing in five years, or ten years.

Compared to some of the names I came up with for my photo business Phydeaux is still very usable. (Consider the cost of reregistering your business after a name change. As I did, after two months. Luckily.)

But, seriously, I'd recommend a name that's easier, or you'll spend many of your future hours spelling out the name.

More important than the name is:

1. What kind of designs do you want to do.

2. Who are your customers.

3. Create a business plan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules