Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need a new video/graphics card - Where do I begin?

Need a new video/graphics card - Where do I begin?
pmod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2011, 06:16 PM

Hello,
I am new to the forum.
I am a professional (commercial) automotive and fashion photo retoucher and illustrator and own two (older) model G5's. That being said I am also a computer illiterate - I know how to make Photoshop work it's wonders but know very little about the G5's I use (previous places of business that I was employed we had IT folks that knew all of this tech stuff - I am just a retoucher). Therefore PLEASE take into account that I am not well versed with this stuff - go slow with me and don't beat me up too bad Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

One of my G5's is now in need of a new graphics/video card.

So here is the info:

Dual 1.8 GHz Power PC G5
Running OSX 10.5.8

(current graphics card) ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
chipset ATY, RV350
Bus AGP

(any other info you need please let me know)

I was wondering if I could upgrade to something better/faster etc. Note I do use two monitors (one for the PS work, the other my PS tools).

What I need to know is what will work without the hassle (that the card will fit, compatible etc etc). I do not use my G5's for any gaming so issues pertaining to gaming need not apply here to my needs (if that even matters).

My price range is up to $150.00 I prefer new rather than used or refurb.

Favor to ask: Please be very specific regarding parts numbers, names, places to purchase etc - this computer illiterate thanks you in advance!

Peter

Velocity Arts

[email protected]

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 06:51 PM

Bad news. No new cards will work with your PowerMac G5. Why exactly do you need a new video card? is your current one not working, or just want a faster card?

The best card that it supports os the ATI Radeon X800 Mac:Edition. Since the video card was released over 6 years ago, you most likely won't be able to get it new.

If you in need of an "on call" Mac IT person. I do remote Mac assistance over the phone on a per call basis ($25 for 30 minutes of support then $15 per 15 minutes after that). I can remotely view your Mac and remotely work on it for software issues. 888.650.6504.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 07:15 PM

Actually the best card for AGP G5s is the nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL.

The top of line Radeon for these units were prone to overheating and noisy fans too. The 6800 was also a more powerful card (It should be, its the size of an MBP logic board).

You won't find a brand new one though.

The genuine Mac Edition one looks like this:
Mac G5 Edition nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 AGP | eBay

This one is a flashed PC version:
Mac nVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 For G4 AGP/G5 AGP | eBay

Not sure I'd risk a flashed one. They always tend to have a quirk or two. The genuine Mac version will power two dual-link DVI displays (30" Apple Cinema Displays for example). Flashed cards often have one port that doesn't work. The above flashed one only has the one DVI single link port which will only run a 23" Apple Cinema Display.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2011, 10:21 PM

Pretty sure the X850 was the top spec AGP card for the Mac.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2011, 04:37 AM

I agree, the X850 was the fastest native Mac card for the AGP G5, but the 6800 was a close runner-up.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thorzdad
May 5, 2011, 07:24 AM

It would help to know why you believe you need new video cards. If it's simply because the color you're seeing is off, you may simply need to calibrate the display (something a photographer should be doing on a regular basis, anyway.) This can be done either with hardware or with software.

pmod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2011, 10:25 AM

Sorry Thorzdad and Mac Write,
I need a new card because the current card does not work (an odd error sounding drumming thumping noise when I go into Photoshop)? Surfing the internet is fine (no noise).
The original card that came in the G5 was an ATI card of some sort (the person I bought the machine from was some GCI/Gaming) guy. The G5 ran fine for a while, then I began to notice pink horizontal lines skipping across the screen then much later pink/magenta colored "blocks" appearing intermitantly on screen then lastly a pink haze over a pixelized looking screen. Took the cover off and notice the video card flawed (fan blades had broken off the card, dust/dirt ect). A friend gave me another "free" card (currently what I have posted previous). This seems to work fine if I just want to surf, going into Photoshop locks up and I get error thumping noise).
Rather than pursue some long task of trouble shooting (my retouching workload I just haven't the time), I am looking for a quick easy fix (new/used card). I have been reading of ATI 9800 Pro? Any thoughts?
I am leary of buying used (esp electronics) as buying somebody elses troubles.
Thanks for all the help thus far. Much appreciated.

Mac Write,

I may take you up on your offer. How well are you versed in the area of trouble shooting stubborn "kernel panics"?

Peter

Thorzdad
May 5, 2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pmod View Post
I have been reading of ATI 9800 Pro? Any thoughts?
I put the ATI 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition card in my old 2x2 G5 several years ago and loved it. Never had a problem, and it ran silent. I do a lot of Photoshop work, too.

If you can find one that hasn't been abused, I'd certainly recommend it highly.

FWIW, those G5s need regular dusting and cleaning. Luckily, they're bog-simple to dismantle and thoroughly clean.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 03:54 PM

The X8x0s only have one DVI port. Plus they are kinda rare. And at least one of them was hot and noisy.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 5, 2011, 09:12 PM

Not so good on kernel panics, but it might be related to the video card or other hardware/drivers installed. I have a 9800Pro for my MDD G4 which needs a new fan. You might be able to just buy a new fan for the card and might fix the problems.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by pmod View Post
The original card that came in the G5 was an ATI card of some sort (the person I bought the machine from was some GCI/Gaming) guy. The G5 ran fine for a while, then I began to notice pink horizontal lines skipping across the screen then much later pink/magenta colored "blocks" appearing intermitantly on screen then lastly a pink haze over a pixelized looking screen. Took the cover off and notice the video card flawed (fan blades had broken off the card, dust/dirt ect).
That's exactly how my G5's original 9800 XT broke down. The card overheated and started displaying pink artifacts because the fan got too dirty. After my second 9800 XT died a few years later I got a PC flashed Nvidia card off eBay that worked just great until my G5's second processor died.

I should get around to selling that card because I doubt my G5 will ever run again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 04:55 AM

Some of those G5s will run on a single Proc. Try pulling the bad one and if needs be put the good one in slot A.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 07:04 AM

For some stupid reason Apple designed the Rev b. G5s not to run on only one processor. I'm probably going to have to sell it for parts unless I can cheaply find a replacement processor.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2011, 01:43 PM

If Big Mac's G5 is dead, then the battle to preserve the memory of PowerPC is truly over.

*lights a candle*
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kensington
May 6, 2011, 03:46 PM

Seriously...the best solution, is a new iMac...you'll find it's way better suited to the line of work you are trying to do. The current iMacs are waaaaay more powerful than your G5, and cost waaaaaaaaaaay less than what a G5 would have cost. Refurb's cost even less! There is currently a 21.5-inch iMac with a 3.06GHz Intel i3 processor, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive available at Apple's online store for $929. If your planning on doing this kind of work professionally this is the path you will want to chose. It's only going to cause you more trouble in the long run to try to keep a G5 going for business purposes now.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODY3Nw
( Last edited by Kensington; May 6, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: adding link to apple store refurb iMac)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
If Big Mac's G5 is dead, then the battle to preserve the memory of PowerPC is truly over.

*lights a candle*
Haha, thank you for the acknowledgment Lateralus. My G5 may be in permanent sleep mode, but at least my G4 mini is still running strong.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2011, 04:57 PM

I'd have been a holdout alongside you if it weren't for the fact that I had to go mobile a few years ago. Though with the Intel switch, the 'Mac luster' diminished quite a bit for me - hence the fact that I've been on the same MacBook since 2008.

Been looking at used Power Macs on eBay quite a bit these past few days, though I really don't have use for a desktop but I doubt that's going to stop me. Dual G4s have become ridiculously cheap...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
For some stupid reason Apple designed the Rev b. G5s not to run on only one processor. I'm probably going to have to sell it for parts unless I can cheaply find a replacement processor.
Have you actually tried it with one? I don't think the cut off is as simple as 'rev B'.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2011, 03:12 PM

I was pointed at this thread but haven't been here lately - the real card to get for a G5 is a flashed Nvidia 7800GS. I have to admit that card really made my G5 2.5 zing. One of my friends is trying to resurrect my G5 but if it comes to not being able to get it going that 7800 might be available. Of course, if the machine in question is toast presently then it's probably moot.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 PM

I'd have been a holdout alongside you if it weren't for the fact that I had to go mobile a few years ago. Though with the Intel switch, the 'Mac luster' diminished quite a bit for me - hence the fact that I've been on the same MacBook since 2008.

Been looking at used Power Macs on eBay quite a bit these past few days, though I really don't have use for a desktop but I doubt that's going to stop me. Dual G4s have become ridiculously cheap...
My 1st Gen Sawtooth G4 (AGP) is still running strong since I bought it in 2000. Got it hooked up to my SD TV running iTheater as an HTPC for my exercise room. Never a problem 'cept that crappy hockey puck mouse which Apple replace for free.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 01:57 PM

*lights a candle*
I might be about to add a 3rd G4 Xserve to my pile.

Thorzdad
Jul 13, 2011, 02:05 PM

Hey, now. My son's happily using my old 2x2 G5 these days. They aren't all dead yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules