Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to open old .cwk spreadsheet

How to open old .cwk spreadsheet
FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2014, 06:56 PM

Hi! I need to open a very important AppleWorks spreadsheet. It was saved in 2005 so it's probably the latest version. I read on forums that Page and Numbers are supposed to open AppleWorks files but it doesn't work... I can "open" them in TextEdit but expectedly I only see garbage. Opening it in Numbers only show a blank sheet. Is there any way to open it? thank you!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014, 08:04 PM

See if you can get anything worthwhile out of them using Text Wrangler. It looks like iWork really only likes certain AppleWorks file versions, and that's a problem.

MacLink - Deluxe may be a workable option, but it's not free.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014, 08:14 PM

According to the "file open" dialog in Excel 2008, it will open Appleworks documents... If you have access to Excel 2008, that's an option. (I'd report on how well that works, but I don't have an Appleworks file of any kind to experiment with.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014, 11:44 PM

Older versions of Numbers (v1 and v2) can open AW spreadsheet files directly. Numbers v3 (released for Mavericks) dropped the AW import ability, among other features.

The latest versions of LibreOffice claim they can open Appleworks files.

Your other choices are to buy/beg/steal a PPC machine, or an Intel Mac with Snow Leopard or earlier, or set up an emulator and run Snow Leopard Server, and run AW directly. Open each document, then export in a more portable format.

This site covers how to get files out of AW. Link goes to the Database page.

A version of AppleWorks was released for Windows education sales. That version might be able to open the Mac files, provided you could locate a copy. AW (all versions) was discontinued in 2007. note: the win version only runs under Windows 95/98/Me/XP/2000. Does not run under Vista/7/8.
( Last edited by reader50; Jan 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM. )

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2014, 02:00 PM

Looks like LibreOffice opens text document fine, but only displays garbage when opening spreadsheet...

andi*pandi
Jan 14, 2014, 02:57 PM

In the old days, you could go to a Kinko's/computer lab place and they would have older machines set up with versions of software... or am I imagining that? I know design/prepress places keep one machine with that copy of Quark 3.3 for the random archival job...

Forum Links
Forum Rules