Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 'I'm In" says Hillary: Announces Run For Presidency

'I'm In" says Hillary: Announces Run For Presidency
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:31 AM

I can't believe no one else has posted this yet. Check the website of any major US new site for the story.
OR
Go straight to the horses mouth (she is kinda horse-faced, isn't she?) HillaryClinton.com - Welcome
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 11:40 AM

I'm all for women's rights, and that they can do anything a man can do. Unfortunately, the rest of the world is not. The president of the United States is a global position. In many countries, women are not respected as having the rights of a man. How are these countries ever going to negotiate/respect the united states?

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I'm all for women's rights, and that they can do anything a man can do. Unfortunately, the rest of the world is not. The president of the United States is a global position. In many countries, women are not respected as having the rights of a man. How are these countries ever going to negotiate/respect the united states?
Like sending a woman as Secretary of State?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 11:53 AM

shrug, agree to disagree. I just think its odd that the democrats have the momentum because of republicans sucking lately, and yet they the two top contenders would be the first black president ever or the first women president...nothing wrong with that, just a strange strategy

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:58 AM

We will have had 20 straight years of Bush-Clinton rule by 2008. Are we going to get Hillary for 8 more years, then Jeb Bush for the next 8?

If so, I'd rather just hand the country over to the 2 families now and be done with campaigns and elections.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 20, 2007, 12:07 PM

Hell, she was president for 8 years already by proxy. How badly could she screw it up.

The only way the US won't go to pot is if we also have a Republican Congress and Senate to keep the checks and balances.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 12:13 PM

Bleccch. Compare Obama's video speech to Hillary's. Hers is like the second coming of Gore, Kerry, or Dukakis, i.e., stiff and uncomfortable and not genuine. I think Obama would be a much better candidate.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The only way the US won't go to pot is if we also have a Republican Congress and Senate to keep the checks and balances.
Agreed. If we've learned anything over the last few years, it's that having having leaders with too much power (Bush with a Republican Congress and Senate, Canada's Liberal party with a majority of seats) will send a country to pot.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Agreed. If we've learned anything over the last few years, it's that having having leaders with too much power (Bush with a Republican Congress and Senate, Canada's Liberal party with a majority of seats) will send a country to pot.
If that's the only thing we've learned over the last few years, then we haven't learned anything, I'm afraid. The Republicans were very quick to press, and try to keep, sole power these last few years, and now that the Democrats have Congress, there are a large number of them trying to "re-take" sole power, under the idea that they somehow won't fall into the same sort of trap the Republicans did.

Perhaps the election cycle should be altered, such that the President is not up for election at the same time as any members of Congress?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2007, 01:30 PM

Well who's with me on moving to the UK?
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Bleccch. Compare Obama's video speech to Hillary's. Hers is like the second coming of Gore, Kerry, or Dukakis, i.e., stiff and uncomfortable and not genuine. I think Obama would be a much better candidate.
It's a complete shame that the scale of how fun this person would be to have a beer with is so important.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
Well who's with me on moving to the UK?
Good heavens, there are plenty better places in the Anglosphere than Ghastly Britain! Bermuda, for instance...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Good heavens, there are plenty better places in the Anglosphere than Ghastly Britain! Bermuda, for instance...

Yeah, if you don't mind disappearing into a triangle!

Jan 20, 2007, 02:42 PM

Did not Hillary swear that she would never run for president?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
Did not Hillary swear that she would never run for president?

I think you're thinking of Zell Miller.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 03:05 PM

I'm all for women's rights, and that they can do anything a man can do. Unfortunately, the rest of the world is not.
You mean like Margaret Thatcher. When I see a thread (or a conversation) that begins I'm all for woman's rights. That usually means the person is going to say something counter to "woman's rights"

We're not voting on a leader of the world but leader of the US, so what if some parts of the world doesn't repect woman, heck a lot of the world doesn't respect our current president now. If she's qualified more power to her - who cares what the world thinks
Michael

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's a complete shame that the scale of how fun this person would be to have a beer with is so important.
Not "having a beer," but "listening to this person communicate the nation's goals."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 04:44 PM

Yeah, if you don't mind disappearing into a triangle!
Is Bermuda actually in the Triangle?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
We're not voting on a leader of the world
You sure about that?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
I can't believe no one else has posted this yet.
I think its because no one is surprised. Or really wants her, either.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 06:16 PM

You mean like Israel, France, Germany, UK, South Korea, New Zealand, Poland, Canada, India, and many more, and even Muslim countries like Pakistan, Indonesia, and Bangladesh? It seems to me the US is about the only country that hasn't had a female head of state.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Is Bermuda actually in the Triangle?

I think so, or else why would it be called the Bermuda Triangle?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 06:30 PM

I think so, or else why would it be called the Bermuda Triangle?
Not sure why. Seems like they could also have named it the Puerto Rico Triangle or the Miami Triangle. But, since Bermuda represents an apex of the triangle, I wonder if it is in the triangle.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 06:33 PM

OBAMA!!!! - i think i'd rather see another 4 years of a republican president then her/

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 06:36 PM

I've been to Miami, Nassau, Puerto Rico (I was removed from the country there... seriously), and most of the Caribbean, but never to Bermuda. I guess I've actually been in the Bermuda Triangle, and I seem to be okay, although last week I was a little gassy.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 06:44 PM

So, to get back on topic, here is list of all the announce candidates from both parties. Anyone want to handicap them at this stage of the game.
(And I really do think it is a game for them, much to detriment of us citizens.)

DEMOCRAPS
Sen. Joe Biden (DE)
Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY)
Sen. Christopher Dodd (CT)
Sen. John Edwards (former, NC)
Rep. Dennis Kucinich (OH)
Sen. Barack Obama (IL)
Gov. Bill Richardson (NM)
Gov. Tom Vilsack (former, IA)

REPUGLICANS
Sen. John McCain (AZ)
Gov. Mitt Romney (former, MA)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 07:07 PM

You're missing a bunch of Republicans there macdaddy.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 07:51 PM

Go Rudy!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
You sure about that?
100% sure, we're voting for a president of the US not the word.
Michael

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 08:05 PM

Can she win the presidency, even if she does end up being the Dem candidate? She has a lot of popularity overall, but not quite enough to win, and there is a distinct Southern minority which seems to hate her IIRC, and more so than the other candidates it seems. ie. There's seems to be a bigger anyone-but-that-one sentiment against her than with many others. That's quite the liability.

Oh and is Obama the only viable Dem opponent to her? Sorry but I'm not well versed in US politics. (I don't live in the US.)

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Can she win the presidency, even if she does end up being the Dem candidate?
That's the big question and one we'll be hearing over and over these next two years. I wonder if the populace is ready for woman president or even a black president for that matter. I hear so many people where I live qualify that they're no racist or believe in equal rights but then go and bash clinton and obama - not for what they stand for but who they are.
Michael

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2007, 09:04 PM

That's the big question and one we'll be hearing over and over these next two years. I wonder if the populace is ready for woman president or even a black president for that matter. I hear so many people where I live qualify that they're no racist or believe in equal rights but then go and bash clinton and obama - not for what they stand for but who they are.
...Racially?

I'm not racist, but I do have complaints about both of them. Hillary has the personality of a pet fish. Obama is IMO too inexperienced.

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2007, 09:10 PM

A Closer Look
Who’s Running in 2008?

Some notable names in the field of potential presidential candidates:

DEMOCRATS

OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED
Senator Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut
John Edwards, former senator from North Carolina
Tom Vilsack, former governor of Iowa
Representative Dennis J. Kucinich of Ohio

ESTABLISHING EXPLORATORY COMMITTEES
Senator Barack Obama of Illinois
Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York

WIDELY MENTIONED
Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
Al Gore, former vice president; from Tennessee
Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico
Gen. Wesley Clark, retired NATO commander; from Arkansas

OFFICIALLY NOT RUNNING
Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana
Senator Russell D. Feingold of Wisconsin
Mark Warner, former governor of Virginia

REPUBLICANS

OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED
Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas

ESTABLISHING EXPLORATORY COMMITTEES
Senator John McCain of Arizona
Rudolph W. Giuliani, former mayor of New York
Tommy G. Thompson, former governor of Wisconsin
James S. Gilmore III, former governor of Virginia
Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts
Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado

WIDELY MENTIONED
Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska
Mike Huckabee, former governor of Arkansas
Representative Duncan Hunter of California
Gov. George E. Pataki of New York
Newt Gingrich, former House speaker from Georgia

OFFICIALLY NOT RUNNING Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee

Who’s Running in 2008? - New York Times

On the Democrats, I'd say Biden, Obama and Clinton are the top contenders. On the Republican side, none of them stand a chance thanks to Iraq.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 09:10 PM

Please, Democrats, nominate Hillary. This could be the first time a third-party candidate actually beats one of the big two!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2007, 09:41 PM

If the populace cares that the president is going to be black or woman that's a pretty good indication that they're not ready.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
On the Democrats, I'd say Biden, Obama and Clinton are the top contenders. On the Republican side, none of them stand a chance thanks to Iraq.
Biden? I'd put Edwards in place of Biden.

I think Brownback is the only Republican with a chance of getting through their primaries. McCain? Nuh-uh. Giuliani? Don't make me laugh. I sincerely doubt he'll even run, because he knows he'd never make it.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 10:56 PM

It seems to me that Margaret Thatcher (UK), Benazir Bhutto (Pakistan), and Golda Meir (Israel) overcame that problem quite successfully. Besides, if certain enemy nations of ours would find it particularly galling to get their asses kicked by a woman, so much the better to have one as president.

Apologies to BRussell for the duplication of thought. :-)

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 11:01 PM

Biden? I'd put Edwards in place of Biden.

I think Brownback is the only Republican with a chance of getting through their primaries. McCain? Nuh-uh. Giuliani? Don't make me laugh. I sincerely doubt he'll even run, because he knows he'd never make it.
I do agree about Giuliani. He has the ego and the hero status, but he'd also like to have a life. Rudy's a nicer, better person than he's usually given credit for, but he still is not likely to become president. He's way too liberal to survive a Republican primary, because to win that you have to stoke-and-stroke the right-wing nutjobs to succeed.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 11:09 PM

Has more to do with her being a Clinton than a woman. Margaret Thatcher and Golda Meier already proved women have a place in leadership. Bill proved a Clinton has no place in a role of responsibility - period.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 11:39 PM

Giuliani? Don't make me laugh. I sincerely doubt he'll even run, because he knows he'd never make it.
I'm pretty sure that Giuliani is going to run. He's already starting to spend money on the campaign apparatus (I work a lot with the company that may be doing his web page).

I just hope we don't end up seeing the two big parties nominate Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney. On the one hand, it would be a great day for third parties. On the other hand, one of them might actually win.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
Bill proved a Clinton has no place in a role of responsibility - period.
Oh, I see. You're one of those folks who prefers a lackluster economy, ballooning deficits, and zero international credibility to fiscal responsibility, prosperity, and respect abroad. I hate to break it to you, but Dubya is not exactly a model of personal responsibility in his life, either.
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
If the populace cares that the president is going to be black or woman that's a pretty good indication that they're not ready.
I think we'd sooner have a black woman president than a black male president.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2007, 12:17 AM

The worst kind of leader is one who wishes to be all things to all people.

I think a lot of people believe Hilary is that type of person, and that'll be her downfall.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
The worst kind of leader is one who wishes to be all things to all people.

I think a lot of people believe Hilary is that type of person, and that'll be her downfall.
I think that's much more a result of our political system than any particular politician. It's the way things are set up: everything is geared toward raising money and getting re-elected. We do too little to reward actually doing a good job while in office, and we thereby encourage our leaders to pander instead of showing real and courageous leadership.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 02:19 AM

I'd vote for Hillary. There, I said it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
Has more to do with her being a Clinton than a woman. Margaret Thatcher and Golda Meier already proved women have a place in leadership. Bill proved a Clinton has no place in a role of responsibility - period.
That's a matter of opinion, but anyways, Bill ≠ Hillary.

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
I think we'd sooner have a black woman president than a black male president.
Unlikely, given none are running, and none will be running any time soon.

P.S. I was a little disappointed in her "I'm in" page. It starts out talking about Bush instead of talking about herself or her platform.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 04:22 AM

Hey. Maybe the copy of her autobiography I have that I got signed by her in person will be worth more.

(Yes. I've shaken Hillary Clinton's hand.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
(Yes. I've shaken Hillary Clinton's hand.)
Uh, so?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I was a little disappointed in her "I'm in" page. It starts out talking about Bush instead of talking about herself or her platform.
I felt the same way with Obama's... he was okay until he started talking about how he was going to make everything wonderful by getting us "out of the war that we never should have been involved in". If this is the best he's got as to why we should vote for him, he's got nothing because even crazy Cindy Sheehan could run using that as her playing card. Boring old democrats... come up with something new and then get back to me.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 10:45 AM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 02:25 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules