Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered Mac Pro!!!

Ordered Mac Pro!!!
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2007, 02:59 AM

Well I got the green-light March 29th, but was waiting for the new faster standard configuration (uh?), well as we all know by now that never happened. Anyways this will be my primary system 3 out of every 4 weeks (excluding 3 weeks in August and Dec 20th - Jan 2nd (I hope)). The other one out of every four weeks I will be using my current system at my moms (as that will be it's new home, hence the "Free" Mac Pro as my mom doesn't want me touching her MacBook C2D.

Current System
  • Mirror Drive Door - June 2003 (Rev C)
  • Dual 1.25GHZ G4 with 2MB L2 cache per CPU
  • 1.79GB RAM
  • USB 1.1/Firewire400
  • Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
  • Belkin 4-port USB2 PCI card
  • 120GB - OS/Apps
  • 320GB - Primary data drive
  • 160GB - Secondary data drive
  • Pioneer 711D 16x DVD±RW (replacement for fault SuperDrive it came with
  • Toshiba ComboDrive (from Apple)
  • Kensington USB2 Bluetooth 2.0 dongle
  • etc…
Now for the new Mac Pro I am ordering through Compu2000 in Burnaby B.C. Canada. I semi work for them.
  • Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  • 1GB (2 x 512MB)
  • 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
  • ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
  • One 16x SuperDrive
  • Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
I will add OWC 2 x 1GB RAM kit for $300CDN shipped (or via Compu2000 if they can order it cheaper). I will also get a Western Digital 500GB SATAII drive to take the place of my 320GB+160GB (480GB total) from my MDD.

Now to start saving as fast as I can for an Apple 20" Cinema display for X-mas. I then will need to start saving for my MDD replacement (this Mac Pro moves to my moms in late 2009/early 2010) which will be a 50/50 with my mom. That means $1,800-$2,000 by late 2009/early 2010.

I was able to get this since I gave up the HDTV my mom was insisting on getting for the guestroom/tv room/my room at her place (HD box sold by Shaw is $500CDN with tax).

There is one catch, Though it should be at the store between April 11 - April 16, my mom leaves late afternoon on the 12th, I will have to wait to pick it up until April 24th.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2007, 03:12 AM

but was waiting for the new faster standard configuration
Ah, the irony. I don't imagine you would have had the cash to shell out for the 8 cores, though... no offense.

Nice config! Almost identical to my own except the whole 3.0Ghz part.

Congrats!
Linkinus is king.

synd66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 03:23 AM

Real Nice config!

Glenn Wolsey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 03:24 AM

Nice stuff man, sounds like a great machine. Cant wait to hear your thoughts once it arrives.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2007, 01:56 AM

Will take 3-5 business days to build then 8 business days for ground shipping ($120+ for express shipping and then it's only 3-5 business days). Goal for 2007 is take my 20K+ photos in Aperture and organize, rate, keyword and process all photos, then post to my 2 Smugmug accounts. Mostly 50% D70 RAW, 15% D70 JPEG (before I saw the light) 35% CoolPix 995. So much for the R9800 for my MDD (didn't help but made a great TV out and decent gaming card (WoW).

Too bad I will be forced to de-form it immediatly to block the front power light so it doesn't pulse at night and bug the **** out of me.
--Stephen King

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2007, 02:29 AM

Deform it? Just use some electrical tape. That's not deforming it!
Linkinus is king.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2007, 02:38 AM

oops forgot to add I will add some electrical tape (have some on my MDD G4).
--Stephen King

Parvez
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2007, 03:08 AM

It's always good to take pictures and upload them.

Congrats.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2007, 12:11 PM

The sleep light isn't that bright on the Mac Pro. You'll love it, although upgrading the RAM would be a good idea.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2007, 04:04 PM

You're really going to love the new machine. I switched from a dual g5/2GHz and the performance difference is huuuge.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:50 PM

Well the good news is the Mac Pro is in way ahead of schedule. It is waiting to clear Apple's Broker at the Airport and should be at the store tomorrow or by Wednesday. But since I ordered a Logictech AudioStation for my mom (and 500GB SATAII drive for the Mac Pro) she only will do one trip, so I won't be able to pick it up tomorrow.
--Stephen King

bld44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Will take 3-5 business days to build then 8 business days for ground shipping ($120+ for express shipping and then it's only 3-5 business days).
First of all, congrats on the new system.

I ordered a similar one to what you got last week, but with two superdrives and little more ram. I'm curious as to why your express shipping was $120+? I paid $44 more and got 2 business day express shipping. Oh the mysteries of apple.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 11:09 PM

It was through a third party retailer but they said that was cost (which is true). I ordered 2GB of OWC RAM for it as well. so I will have 3GB total. I can get a second SuperDrive for $46 with tax locally if I want.
--Stephen King

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

If you can't pick it up until the 24th, what's the point in the shipping?
Linkinus is king.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 11:31 PM

Well it's going to be at the store in the morning. So I can pick it up. I was originally hoping with express shipping to have it by the 12th, but with with "3-5 days" build time and the outrageous third party reseller shipping charge Apple charges I just stuck with free shipping. Then I had the nice surprise this morning when I was sent the tracking number to discover it's waiting to clear customs and will be in store tomorrow or Wednesday! Way way ahead of schedule. So now I can pick it up with my mom Tomorrow or Wednesday.
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules