Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How much is a MDD DP 1.25GHZ Worth?

How much is a MDD DP 1.25GHZ Worth?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2008, 10:53 PM

I am thinking of pulling off a swap and upgrading my "@moms" system from my MDD G4 to my moms old MacBook (value $850 will have to pay). So I would sell my MDD G4 to my sister (at market value) instead of her getting the Macbook (she already killed my moms identical (stock) MDD G4 a week ago, won't power on). Anyways here are the specs
  • June 2003 PowerMac G4 2MB L2 cache
  • Dual 1.25GHZ G4
  • 1.79GB RAM (might swap it out for the 512MB from her dead G4)
  • Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition 256MB
  • 160GB HD (ok that would be from her dead G4)
  • Pioneer 110DVD±RW 16x
  • Apple Combo Drive (it came with it)
  • Name brand (can't remember name at present) 4-port USB2 PCI card
  • Bought Sept 26, 2003 brand new
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 12:24 AM

Very little value to that G4, your sis is way better off with a Mini.

Few old Macbooks are worth $850.

Just check eBay for prices.

-Allen Wicks

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2008, 04:59 PM

I have almost the exact same PowerMac as you. I have just ordered a new MacPro and after comparing mine to what was available on e-bay a friend has just offered me £350 (about US$700) for it. It runs 10.5 fine a will do all my friend wants. I wouldn't say it was worthless at all.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2008, 10:14 PM

I sold a dual PowerMac G4 1.25Ghz (FW800) for $600 two months ago on craigslist.

phuture
Apr 8, 2008, 08:20 PM

CAREFUL!! that's ur family man, at least give your sister a good price and stuff or else sell it to someone else. Don't do your sister like that!!! You're not doing anyone any favors by selling that thing to your sis @ market price, including yourself. Sell it on ebay or craigslist if you're looking for maximum $$$, give it to your sister for some loose change for good karma and happy family vibes.

My 2 cents: The MDD 1.25 ghz is an animal at processing but otherwise not worth the shiny plastic its made of. My brother just traded me his MDD 1.25ghz DP for my "Mystic" 450mhz DP machine. It went down on him and that's his work machine. I thought I was getting a good deal on a faster machine and helping my bro out at the same time... after replacing a bad RAM chip, this machine is quick on its toes yet suffers from erratic sleep habits, is hella noisy (a constant low-level "whoosh" -- perhaps the fan?) and an annoying buzz in the speaker-out and headphone-out ports. Now I want my old pokey G4 back. It takes its time getting things done like iMovie but at least it's super reliable without tics and quirks.

To answer your question: My brother bought this machine 6 months ago for $100. It had an 80GB HDD, combo drive, 512MB ram, and factory-installed airport card.
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 08:49 PM

$600 is waaaay too much, a mini would be a ton better for your sis at that price. I would say $300.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 08:57 PM

The buyer wanted my MDD so bad. =)

mBurns
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
The buyer wanted my MDD so bad. =)
I remember seeing yours on Craigslist. Your ad was VERY nice.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 14, 2008, 10:36 AM

When my dual 1.25 died I got a macMini, Much quiter, a bit faster and in all respects a nicer computer unless you want to tinker with it (adding cards and stuff) or perhaps play old games with it. Forget what you paid for it. Sell it for 1/2 the price of a new minimac or less otherwise your sister is better of with a minimac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules