Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Maddening Form Creation and Submission

Maddening Form Creation and Submission
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2009, 03:30 PM

OK, I've been working on this on and off for weeks with no solution. I've got this PDF form I made. At the end I made an action to submit a web form. The I entered the address and webformmailer.php.

One browser I have downloads the form. Fine, I fill it out, submit it- it goes to a thank you page in my browser. I receive the results. Good.

Now, my other browser opens the PDF in the browser. I fill it out, submit it. It goes to the Thank You page. BUT, I never receive the results. Apparently, it's not working via this method. But, I get no error.

The problem seems to lie with the fact that when the pdf is downloaded, the entire url is needed in the action. However, this is not necessary in the browser-method- only half the url is needed.

The thing is- I can't (or can I?) have 2 separate actions for one form. I just want people to be able to send it regardless of how their browser handles PDFs.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to do and have any advice for me?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 10:12 PM

Can't you just fully qualify the url in the action? It should then work in ANY scenario.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2009, 11:12 PM

Wrap the form in a div tag, and replace your form submit button with a Prototype event observer to load the thank you page in the div tag. Include a onComplete callback function that then loads the PDF form.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2009, 12:56 PM

Wow. I have no idea what either of you just said.

andi*pandi
Feb 24, 2009, 04:25 PM

yep, I didn't follow besson either... but I think whatbluedog said is can't you use the full url on the button, not a relative link? This way it should work in either case.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2009, 12:38 PM

I tried that and it comes up with an error when not opened within the browser. At some point, it added the front end on as well- but twice: www.mysite/www.mysite etc.

I may stop wasting my time and just redo this in Dreamweaver.

Forum Links
Forum Rules