Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Why do all my pics look like this?

Why do all my pics look like this?
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2009, 05:46 PM

So, I went to use my Canon S500 Digital Elph and everything is streaky.

What happened? Is it beyond help?

That's a cat on a chair BTW.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 7, 2009, 06:11 PM

Camera is defective - failing CCD. You might try pulling the battery for an hour to reset the camera software, but it's probably a repair/replace situation.

The only other thing I can think of is a visual effect in the camera. But you usually apply those manually after taking a shot.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2009, 06:23 PM

What's a CCD and would it even be worth it? As for the filter, I wasn't aware I had any. On the display, it is streaked, but when I take the pic it's streaked and pink. Not sure why anyone would actually want that effect. But, I'll look into it and try what you suggested.

Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 7, 2009, 07:05 PM

CCD = Charge-Coupled Device - the photo sensor at the heart of the camera. The solid-state device that actually records the incoming light.

Your S500 is a discontinued model, probably 4-5 years old. 5 megapixel, Amazon places the price around $100. If it isn't under warranty, then I doubt it's worth the cost to repair.

Unless someone has a better take on it, I'd suggest getting a new 6-8 megapixel camera. If you like Canon, Amazon prices suggest you could get a new one in that range for under $100.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2009, 07:19 PM

Yeah, I was just holdin onto this one so long because it was compact and reliable. It served it's purpose for 4 years. Now, there's thinner, compacter, reliabler (yes, I made that up) ones with more features. So sad to see my little buddy go. I'll have to wait for the tax return to replace it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2009, 07:51 PM

You should enter that pic in a contest!!! "Cat on a chair".... it's a perfect title.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2009, 09:43 PM

If you view the video output direct from the camera, what do you see ?

(AV Out socket)

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

reader50
Administrator
Apr 8, 2009, 04:14 AM

You could put the old camera on ebay. Advertise it as possibly able to photograph supernatural phenomena. Who knows, it might sell for enough to get you a new camera + a new car.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2009, 04:31 AM

^lmao Mr.r50.

Hope all works out KeriVit!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2009, 05:59 PM

That picture looks like an excessive infrared problem; as if the hot mirror fell off the sensor. Except that wouldn’t necessarily explain the streaking.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 09:22 PM

This looks familiar to me: CCD's don't normally just fail for no reason, but I'm sure I've seen this before, in one of my prior lives when I knew a thing or two about image sensors.

<<off to play with teh google>>

Here it is! Sony had some packaging problems with their CCD's a while back, and it looks like your particular camera was in the list of cameras that were affected. (Note that it was the actual sensor IC packaging that was at fault, and that Sony sourced CCD's to a number of Japanese digital camera manufacturers.)

Here's a link to info on it. Note the picture, which kind of looks like the same symptoms you have.

That article is kind of old, but indicates that the affected manufacturers extended the warranty on units with failed sensors. I'm not sure of Canon is still honoring that, but it might not hurt to call their Customer Support folks and ask, using the information in the above link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules