Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Retain icons' position when moving files

Retain icons' position when moving files
FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2010, 02:55 PM

I got the bad habit of saving everything on my desktop (for the sake of just pressing Cmd-D in the dialog box to save time), and when it is too crowded, I create a "Old desktop X" folder and just put everything there. As I have a photographic/spacial memory, I remember where my filles are by their position on my desktop. Before, when I dragged the files in the new folder (which was open in icon view), the files would retain the relative position they had on the desktop, but recently they would just align in a kind of grid without respect to their position. I checked the settings and the snap to grid is not enabled, nor sort by name or anything else. Is it the new behavior of OS X or is it a bug?

Forum Links
Forum Rules