Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacNN ads FAIL :P

MacNN ads FAIL :P
FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2011, 12:23 AM

Ouch

And is it me or the link to go to the forums doesn't work from the main page?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 12:26 AM

All the adverts on the internet threw up onto one page?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 01:09 AM

The most annoying one zips in from the left side and blocks the middle of the screen. It needs to die.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 01:20 AM

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm honestly still surprised that there are tech savvy among us that don't block all their ads.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm honestly still surprised that there are tech savvy among us that don't know where the feedback forum is.
fixed

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2011, 02:13 AM

Well, call me old school, but I prefer my browser plain vanilla with as few plugins as possible, and I think it's a good thing to let ads be displayed as it helps the site. If too many people block their ads, they will find a more annoying way to display them...

And I didn't mean to post this as a feedback for the site's owner, but purely for us to laugh about it, or, in contemporary parlance, "for the lulz"

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 02:53 AM

If websites didn't put so MANY ads on the sites people wouldnt bother to block them, alas they do so most of us block them.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 03:15 AM

IMHO, mostly a browser fail.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Well, call me old school, but I prefer my browser plain vanilla with as few plugins as possible, and I think it's a good thing to let ads be displayed as it helps the site. If too many people block their ads, they will find a more annoying way to display them...
That's why you click the Reader button in the address bar.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post

And I didn't mean to post this as a feedback for the site's owner, but purely for us to laugh about it, or, in contemporary parlance, "for the lulz"

About the only way I can think of the ad vendors getting around ads being blocked is playing cat and mouse with the ad blockers to constantly change domains, or else getting customers to host the ads locally, either which I don't think is terribly likely.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
fixed

A little pedantic lately, are we?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 04:51 AM

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm honestly still surprised that there are tech savvy among us that don't attempt to eradicate free websites from existence by cutting off their revenue.
Fixed...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 04:55 AM

About the only way I can think of the ad vendors getting around ads being blocked is playing cat and mouse with the ad blockers to constantly change domains, or else getting customers to host the ads locally, either which I don't think is terribly likely.
Flashblock stops most ads which is nice

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Fixed...

Except, it doesn't have any impact whatsoever. None. Ziltch.

AFAIK all the ad blockers do is set CSS flags to hide the content, they don't actually remove them from the markup. As far as the ad people are concerned the user is getting their ad.

However, even if this weren't the case a number of ads are based on product placement, not clicks. If a user hated the ads so much that they went out of their way to install an ad blocker, why would they be inclined to click on the ad even if they didn't have one installed?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 09:11 AM

It DOES.

It's like saying stealing a $5 item from Walmart doesn't have any impact. It's insignificant, but still has an impact if EVERYONE did it.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 09:23 AM

How is that analogy appropriate here?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 09:27 AM

How is that analogy appropriate here?
I didn't expect you to get it.

-t

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 10:44 AM

AFAIK all the ad blockers do is set CSS flags to hide the content, they don't actually remove them from the markup. As far as the ad people are concerned the user is getting their ad.

However, even if this weren't the case a number of ads are based on product placement, not clicks. If a user hated the ads so much that they went out of their way to install an ad blocker, why would they be inclined to click on the ad even if they didn't have one installed?
Um no.... most ad blockers block the domain of the ad sites, not just change CSS flags.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2011, 10:55 AM

adblock. never see an ad.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I didn't expect you to get it.

-t

It has been lovely talking to you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Um no.... most ad blockers block the domain of the ad sites, not just change CSS flags.

Yeah, it looks like there are two techniques, and AdBlock Plus for instance incorporates both techniques.. From the Wikipedia page:

Like Mozilla's built-in image blocker, Adblock blocks HTTP requests according to their source address and can block IFrames, scripts, and Flash. It also uses automatically generated user stylesheets to hide elements such as text ads on a page as they load instead of blocking them, known as element hiding.[1]
I'm assuming the others work in similar ways... Proxy server + custom stylesheet. There was a Safari ad blocker in existence before Safari supported extensions that I think only did the custom CSS thing.

Anyway, I stand corrected on the ad vendors being oblivious to having sent the ad, but I stand by my claim that users that would be inclined to install an ad block extension would otherwise possibly click on the ad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules