Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPad app marketing - any experience with it?

iPad app marketing - any experience with it?
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2011, 05:33 PM

I have been working with multiple teams of mobile developers for the past year and a half on an iPad app, and on Friday we finally got the app to a point where I felt good about releasing it to the world, and I submitted it to Apple for review. Although I probably should have done this before now, I am just starting to look into marketing the app. With a bazillion new apps showing up every day or so, getting noticed is going to be tough so I am trying to find a marketing firm that is awesome at marketing and promoting iPad apps. Does anyone have any previous experience and advice for this? Any recommendations on specific marketing companies? I don't have a ton of money for it, but since the app cost $35k-40k to design and develop, I don't mind spending a couple thousand to market it and get it into people's hands.

Any help you can provide would be awesome.

If anyone is curious, the app allows you to easily create, sign and manage contracts and releases. The website for it is Portable Contracts - Easily create, sign and manage contracts and releases on your iPad. (getting a little marketing in now, hah!).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2011, 06:18 PM

I would think apps in the right trade magazines might be a good idea. Is this something lawyers would use? Maybe people in HR?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2011, 11:02 PM

It would be great for HR or any other professions that rely on contracts for a large part of their business (contractors, photographers, service people of all types, etc.).

In my experience magazines are very slow to come out, very expensive to advertise in, and almost impossible to judge the response.

Has anyone ever built and/or successfully marketed an iphone/ipad app? For some reason I thought that there would be at least a few people here that have done it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
It would be great for HR or any other professions that rely on contracts for a large part of their business (contractors, photographers, service people of all types, etc.).

In my experience magazines are very slow to come out, very expensive to advertise in, and almost impossible to judge the response.

Has anyone ever built and/or successfully marketed an iphone/ipad app? For some reason I thought that there would be at least a few people here that have done it.
Mainstream magazines are expensive, Im talking about the kind you don't generally know about unless you are in the industry. You don't find them on news stands as a rule.

HR and Recruiting Related Publications

Free Human Resource Executive Magazine

I only mentioned these as I imagine they would be good from a targeting point of view. There is also Facebook where you can be very specific but a lot of people just don't seem to like doing business over Facebook. Cheap enough to have a punt though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2011, 03:10 AM

Google AdWords can be effective if you have no existing userbase.

We released our iPad app on Monday and we're in the single digits for free apps in our category just by emailing a portion of our existing web userbase. Not sure where we'll end up long term.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2012, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I don't mind spending a couple thousand to market it and get it into people's hands.
A couple thousand? Are you serious? It costs way more than that to market a product.

Thorzdad
Apr 7, 2012, 08:18 AM

A significant proportion of the spammers we ban here are app promotions.
So, whatever you end up doing, I would advise against any plan that includes blind posting to relevant user forums.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2012, 01:06 PM

We just helped launch this app: Get Totally Amp'd! Coming January 26th

I can't share the exact budget, but it was in the six figures. A couple of thousand won't get you much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules