Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > iPhone sees user loyalty drop in US, Europe

iPhone sees user loyalty drop in US, Europe
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 30, 2012, 02:47 PM

Loyalty to Apple's iOS platform appears to have dipped in the United States and in Europe, according to the latest figures from Strategy Analytics. For the first time since the iPhone's release in 2007, the research firm has found that the number of iPhone owners stating they will definitely or probably purchase their next phone from Apple has declined in both regions. While loyalty has dipped only slightly in the United States and moreso in Europe, the majority of iPhone owners, according to the report, will remain loyal to the platform.

The firm's most recent Wireless Device Lab Report found that 88 percent of US iPhone owners planned on buying their next phone from Apple. That's down from 93 percent in 2011. Of their European counterparts, though, 75 percent would say the same, down from 88 percent in 2011. Strategy Analytics' director noted that the new figures demonstrate a continuing success on the part of Apple in retaining its existing user base while attracting new customers. However, he cited negative press and accusations of a lack of innovation by Apple in making some customers more open to considering another manufacturer. Previous studies have found that owners of iOS devices are among the most loyal to any brand, with 21 percent of them unwilling to switch to another product for any price. Owners of Apple's mobile products are said to be 52 percent more loyal to the Cupertino electronics giant than Android users are to the manufacturers of their handsets.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2012, 03:02 PM

... do we add these damages to the lawsuit against samsung and any others who might copy the iOS, app store, physical stores and hardware concepts, designs & marketing strategies...? I continue to be amazed at the UK verdict, and the verbiage of 'cool' used in such - does the judge damage the image of the UK justice system if trivializing a legal verdict with such colloquialisms...? Why invest in designing and producing anything for europe if the R+D can be legally derivated and profited from by unrelated businesses ?

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2012, 04:01 PM

Distortion field wearing a bit thin these days...

Consumer's are not ignorant - at least most of them. They can see what products are the real deal and which are hyped up fluff. Do you really think that someone could possibly mistakenly buy a Samsung phone thinking it was an iPhone? Really? I think consumers are smarter than that.

I think there are many factors involved with this data. First off, many purchase the iPhone because it's "AN iPHONE". They listen to marketing and they know little to nothing about it. Some will like it and some won't. I have personally seen many switch camps because of various reasons - Screen size, widgets, the freedom to run whatever software you want, lack of the 'Big Brother' control, latest hardware specs... Everyone has their reasons.

Then there are the never ending patent lawsuits from Apple. Again, I have seen many who will not buy anymore Apple products purely because of all these seemingly ridiculous lawsuits. This one could backfire from Apple. It's the main reason I don't buy anything made by Monster Cable - They tried to sue anything with the word 'Monster' in their name. I will not buy Monster anything. Same thing could be at work here.

Then there is value for money. Many just don't see the "Apple Tax" as being a worthwhile premium to pay any more. There are more economical and better alternatives. Once people see my Nexus phone, they are amazed at how it looks and what it can do. Their eyes have been opened and they want to know more.

You cannot fool the public forever with clever and hip marketing. They will eventually see right through the RDF and vote with their wallet. It's happening as we speak.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 30, 2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
Distortion field wearing a bit thin these days...
Consumer's are not ignorant - at least most of them. They can see what products are the real deal and which are hyped up fluff. Do you really think that someone could possibly mistakenly buy a Samsung phone thinking it was an iPhone? Really? I think consumers are smarter than that.
I think there are many factors involved with this data. First off, many purchase the iPhone because it's "AN iPHONE". They listen to marketing and they know little to nothing about it. Some will like it and some won't. I have personally seen many switch camps because of various reasons - Screen size, widgets, the freedom to run whatever software you want, lack of the 'Big Brother' control, latest hardware specs... Everyone has their reasons.
Then there are the never ending patent lawsuits from Apple. Again, I have seen many who will not buy anymore Apple products purely because of all these seemingly ridiculous lawsuits. This one could backfire from Apple. It's the main reason I don't buy anything made by Monster Cable - They tried to sue anything with the word 'Monster' in their name. I will not buy Monster anything. Same thing could be at work here.
Then there is value for money. Many just don't see the "Apple Tax" as being a worthwhile premium to pay any more. There are more economical and better alternatives. Once people see my Nexus phone, they are amazed at how it looks and what it can do. Their eyes have been opened and they want to know more.
You cannot fool the public forever with clever and hip marketing. They will eventually see right through the RDF and vote with their wallet. It's happening as we speak.
Excellent wrenchy. Like they say, you can fool some, sometimes, but not all, all the time. crApple has slowed in innovation, and their big-bang marketing is withering as other competitors catch up, and possibly surpass crApple in various elements of computing.

vinnieA2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2012, 05:11 PM

wrenchy & Blahblahber -- you two need to get a hotel room.

The "precipitous" drop this article describes is from 93% to 88. Without knowing the standard error in this poll, you can't even tell if it is statistically significant. Get a grip.

Wrenchy -- try opening a business, anywhere at all, naming it McDonald's and see what happens.

As far as "see right through the RDF and vote with their wallet. It's happening as we speak." -- also happening as we speak: the iPad Mini, and the updated iPad 3 sell out.

growlf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2012, 08:26 AM

I think it's positive for the faithful to question Apple. They'll question Apple, go off and buy a top-of-the-line 'droid device like I did, use it for two weeks wondering how anyone can find the experience anything but sub-standard, then come crawling back to Apple... just like I did.

I *literally* use my 'droid as a coffee cup coaster. For that purpose, it is excellent.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 31, 2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by growlf View Post
I think it's positive for the faithful to question Apple. They'll question Apple, go off and buy a top-of-the-line 'droid device like I did, use it for two weeks wondering how anyone can find the experience anything but sub-standard, then come crawling back to Apple... just like I did.
I *literally* use my 'droid as a coffee cup coaster. For that purpose, it is excellent.
Great, send your coaster, I might want to turn it into something more than that. I'll give you $2 USD for it (usual coaster price)

Forum Links
Forum Rules