Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Supermarkets, Home Depots, Whore houses, Fast food... what's next?

Supermarkets, Home Depots, Whore houses, Fast food... what's next?
Sealobo
Jan 11, 2009, 04:58 PM

Many services are now provided 24-hr.

What should be next? When was the last time you wished something were opened in the middle of the night? Or those in the title have been serving you well and you need nothing more?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 05:04 PM

Well, I was a major night owl back in the day, but these days I don't really care so much. Once you have a 24-hour Walmart, you pretty much have all of your bases covered for late night emergencies. Came in handy about a year ago when we realized our luggage was destroyed at about 11pm and had a flight the next morning.

As a side note, I've lived in two places in my lifetime. St. Louis and Washington DC. I was shocked to learn that St. Louis has a much more thriving late night scene. In St. Louis, if it's 3AM and you want some chow, you have about 10-15 options. In the DC/Maryland area, you had about 3. Seems like the exact opposite of what you would expect.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2009, 06:57 PM

Haha. I didn't know Home Depot was open 24/7. I guess that is nice when you need a power saw to dispose of a body at three in the morning.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
As a side note, I've lived in two places in my lifetime. St. Louis and Washington DC. I was shocked to learn that St. Louis has a much more thriving late night scene. In St. Louis, if it's 3AM and you want some chow, you have about 10-15 options. In the DC/Maryland area, you had about 3. Seems like the exact opposite of what you would expect.
Maybe its the fear of getting shot?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Haha. I didn't know Home Depot was open 24/7. I guess that is nice when you need a power saw to dispose of a body at three in the morning.
Or most likely roadwork and other jobs that would affect people during the day is done at 1AM to 4AM.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sealobo  (op)
Jan 11, 2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Many of the Home Depot stores opened 24/7 when i was a student in Toronto... that's 1999-2002.

It was great visiting the stores in the middle of the night... nobody was there to "help" me; i could squeeze everything without getting strange stares.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Maybe its the fear of getting shot?
St. Louis is also a good place to go if you like getting shot.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 07:58 PM

I care most about having a 24-hour CVS in my general vicinity. I do all my scripts through there (although one of my meds is new and ridiculously expensive, so that's definitely going the mail-order route), and it's nice to know I can get something refilled whenever I have the time to go there.

Otherwise, Wal-Mart and Meijer cover all my bases, so I'm set. I do wish Target was 24-hours, though.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Sealobo  (op)
Jan 11, 2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
St. Louis is also a good place to go if you like getting shot.
a 24/7 Walmart would have guns to sell, i guess?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2009, 09:58 AM

Maybe its due to having young kids (daughter of 5, son of 19 months) but I don't run out of stuff at 2am. We could probably supply a couple of pharmacies (drug stores) for a good month, we could bathe the local football, rugby and athletics teams for about a week with all the bottled water we have, and if nappies (diapers) and cotton ever turn out to have worldwide shortages, we'd be millionaires. I even have a small diesel generator with a couple of litres just in case.

Beer would be a problem though. The wife says that my cans take up too much room.

Forum Links
Forum Rules