Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hay guys - I need some ideas

Hay guys - I need some ideas
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 08:30 PM

Sooo I finally got my apartment really clean for the first time since I've moved here. That, in addition to the crazy candy that's made me, you know...not crazy, has motivated me to want to throw a little shindig for my coworkers and friends.

The problem is that I have never once hosted a party. Ever. Therefore, I need some ideas on food. If I were to do something involving 10-20 people (ish), and outdoor grilling is not an option (but I have a good kitchen), what would y'all recommend that won't break the bank? I mean, pizza is easy, but enough for a semi-large group adds up fast (plus there are no good pizza joints up here).

I vaguely remember having a variety of finger food type things at my high school graduation open house, but that was ages ago and primarily geared toward all my mom's middle-aged friends who showed up and showered me with cash.

So...ideas, plz.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 08:34 PM

are they expecting you to throw this party? if not, then don't bother with it.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 08:51 PM

Oh, don't be such a killjoy. It's just something I want to do. I like my coworkers a lot, I have some friends up here, and I want to get everyone together for a night of booze, video games, and cards. I just need to figure out the food part of it before I make my plans.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2009, 08:55 PM

Tacos and beer.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 09:00 PM

I hadn't thought of tacos...taco meat is pretty easy to make, too, and ground beef is pretty cheap. I'll definitely put that on the options list. Thanks!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2009, 09:03 PM

In before Mastr–––I mean Phileas.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 09:30 PM

A few ideas that I've liked before: tacos, wraps, sandwiches (good sandwiches, not those nasty shrinkwrapped things they sell beside wheatgrass juice at grocery stores), dippable things such as chips and veggies.

Of course, unless it's a dinner party, it seems like booze and things to do are generally more important than the food.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 09:40 PM

No, I'm planning on hooch and video games (guitar hero and the wii, probably). But you need food to soak up the booze, so I figure I should have at least something.

I think chips, veggies and dip will probably be a definite yes, especially since Aldi sells most of that crap on the cheap. They also sell a lot of Mexican stuff, so tacos seem like a good idea.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 7, 2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
... (plus there are no good pizza joints up here)....
Aren't you up in Lafayette? You have nearly the best pizza place in the world near you. Arni's is amazing!!! Website: http://www.meetyouatarnis.com/

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2009, 10:14 PM

There are a lot of options if you have access to Costco or Sams.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 10:34 PM

I just bought a Sam's membership. I don't want to spend a whole ton of money - I'll probably buy beer there, since I can get a case for a pretty good price, but I'm guessing Aldi will have better prices on taco fixings (shells and seasoning, to be specific) than Sam's.

Also, @Railroader: I'll check out Arni's sometime. I vaguely remember once having good pizza here, but don't remember where it was.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2009, 10:39 PM

Keep it simple. It should be more about spending some fun times with friends. Finger food is more than adequate. Take a couple of crock pots, one with small meatballs and sauce, add some good Italian bread, grated cheese and voila. The other crock pot can be filled with those little cocktail weenies and a sauce of your choice. I also like to roll cold cuts (salami, ham, provolone) up real tight in large tortillas, put a toothpick in every 3/4" and slice for mini wrap sandwiches. Serve with different mustards, sauces, etc.... There are plenty of cookbooks for this type of thing.

Keep it simple and fun, but just don't buy out of the box stuff. Put your own touch to it, but don't spend more time keeping the food flowing than enjoying your friends.

By the way, "hay" is for horses.
macforray

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2009, 11:38 PM

Sams has really good popcorn chicken in the frozen section, also, check out the frozen deserts.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2009, 11:39 PM

I'm planning on asking people to bring a few things - soda, ice, chips, and probably desserts since that's an easy one for other people to do.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 01:44 AM

Hummus + pita bread(s)
Naan + Plain yogurt/chilis

mmmmmm I'm hungry
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 02:04 AM

potatoes are cheap, how about scalloped potatoes?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 8, 2009, 02:20 AM

I threw a New Year's Eve party this year, and it was pretty incredible. I provided little smokies, shrimp, edamame, Christmas goodies (cookies, chocolates, etc.), mixers (Coke, 7up, cranberry juice, lime juice, etc.), and champagne for toasting, and everyone else brought a bottle of liquor. It went over great, I ended up with about 25 people showing up, and after multiple shots, drinks, and a whole bottle of champagne, I was more drunk than I've ever been in my life - it was a blast.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 04:33 AM

It's very low-rent, but people will love it.

Melt a brick or two of Velveeta in the microwave, add it salsa to taste. Serve with tortilla chips. If you want to get fancy, you can ever throw in seasoned, browned ground beef. If you've got a crock pot to keep it warm, great.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Hummus + pita bread(s)
Naan + Plain yogurt/chilis

mmmmmm I'm hungry
I'm a great dip fan. If you can get stuff like : humous, tsatsiki, taramosalata, cheese dips, salsa etc then raw veg is great : carrot sticks, cauliflower, brocoli, cucumber. French bread (baguettes) are good as well. Variety of nuts is always a winner with me, serve at the beginning of the evening with the first few drinks, people will drink more and chill out better. Oh yeah, my wife likes olives and a good deli should have a pretty good selection. Toothpicks, you need toothpicks !!

The next thing that you have to think about is music.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2009, 09:46 AM

Show up naked. Bring beer.

Oh. And dips and mushroom vol-au-vents. Yum.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2009, 10:00 AM

ideas:

veg and dip platter, or green salad

hummus and pita pieces platter (can also have the veg if you don't like dip)

cheese, pepperoni, and triscuit platter

chips and salsa (guac if you want to get fancy, mmm guac)

fruit salad for those who want to pretend to be healthy

pasta salad (easy, cheap, and tasty)

hot h'ordouvres (eff it too early to spell) like mini-quiches, spinach pie, stuffed mushrooms, Sams should have these by the bag.

some kind of main hot dish, like meatballs, lasagna, chicken wings, or yes tacos. Tacos could get messy though. Do you like your rug?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 10:07 AM

I hadn't thought about various frozen chicken products...popcorn chicken and wings sound easier than tacos, for sure, and they should be easy to make.

This is helping a lot - thanks guys!!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 11:24 AM

Can't you farm the party organising out to your new army of partygurl followerz. Bet they know how to par-tay hard.

:cool :

[/stir]

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
*faints*

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
It's very low-rent, but people will love it.

Melt a brick or two of Velveeta in the microwave, add it salsa to taste. Serve with tortilla chips. If you want to get fancy, you can ever throw in seasoned, browned ground beef. If you've got a crock pot to keep it warm, great.
Seconded.

Wait, how many bathrooms do you have?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Can't you farm the party organising out to your new army of partygurl followerz. Bet they know how to par-tay hard.

:cool :

[/stir]
Hah...I'm trying to ignore that current trend. It's a little bizarre when barely-13-year-olds suddenly think I'm the shizzle because of some posts on a message forum.

Then again, I am awesome...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2009, 12:15 PM

I used to make 2 gal of Margarita and serve it in a watering can like this:

It was always a big success

-t

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 05:19 PM

Never realized turtle was such a playa.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 11:23 AM

APPETIZERS
--Warmed pita (whole wheat) with Hummus (plain or extra-garlic) and Baba-ganoush (sp?)
--a bag of frozen mini-peas sauteed in a very little bit of butter, top with a dash of salt
(You want the peas to be just a bit browned so they crunch when you bit into them. I usually put the peas in the middle of a platter with two or three mounds of hummus around it and one mound of pita pieces. This way, your guests can grab the pita, dip it in the hummus, and then scoop up some peas.)
--Smoked salmon with capers and water crackers is a basic party staple
--a fresh vegetable platter (broccoli, carrots, green/red/yellow peppers) with some kind of dip
(If I have time will make a peanut sauce--peanut butter mixed with olive oil, brown sugar, and a few pieces of crushed garlic--but DON'T buy one of those pre-packaged dips from Marzetti or Marie ???, they are utter crap.)
--Black bean dip and corn tortilla chips
(The dip is usually just a few cans of blacks beans brought to a boil with some chopped garlic and onion thrown in after the beans come to a boil and get mashed. Throw in some kind of pepper/spice and, if you are daring, a tiny bit of mint, and top the dip with chopped basil.)

ENTREE
--Chicken skewers in some kind of marinade/sauce
--You should be able to buy bulk packages of chicken strips.
Put the strips on bamboo skewers, soak in a marinade (or coat in a sauce) and then throw in the oven (400F) for 10-12 minutes (turning once after 5-6 minutes).

I'll add to this as I think of other things I have made for parties of my own. Good luck and have fun!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 11:54 AM

I don't think most of the people attending have refined enough tastes to like hummus (although I love it). I'm keeping it simple and all-American this time around - cold cuts and cheese, vegetables and dip, chips and salsa/dip, and wings (or some other precooked frozen chicken product from Sam's Club). Plus a few desserts and a couple kinds of beer. And, of course, booze...because no party is complete without liquor.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll probably go a little more adventurous for my next get-together.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam
And, of course, booze...because no party is complete without liquor.
This is the kind of attitude that completely ruined my cousins 10th birthday party.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
This is the kind of attitude that completely ruined my cousins 10th birthday party.
To be fair, who hasn't passed out in a pool of their own vomit in a kiddie pool at one time or another?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

lulz...don't worry, this is an all-adults party. I'm going to be the youngest person there, in fact. I don't expect anyone to get hammered, but people might like a rum/vodka and coke or something. Plus it's a chance to get rid of my excess gin (I hate gin, so I have no other way of getting rid of the two bottles I got for free).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
To be fair, who hasn't passed out in a pool of their own vomit in a kiddie pool at one time or another?
Ugh, how vulgar. I wouldn’t be caught dead passed out in my own vomit in a kiddie pool.Can one be passed out and dead simultaneously?
I only pass out in other people’s vomit in kiddie pools.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Sooo I finally got my apartment really clean for the first time since I've moved here. That, in addition to the crazy candy that's made me, you know...not crazy, has motivated me to want to throw a little shindig for my coworkers and friends.
Shindigs require a Firefly marathon. So I'd recommend lots of strawberries and Mudder's Milk.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

andi*pandi
Jan 9, 2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Shindigs require a Firefly marathon. So I'd recommend lots of strawberries and Mudder's Milk.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2009, 03:31 PM

Oh, and be sure to stock up on KY. Wouldn't want to run out of that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
A gathering is brie, mellow song stylings. Shindig: dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage. And hootenanny? Chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Jan 9, 2009, 06:32 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
And its classical accompaniment: Devils on Horseback

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

andi*pandi
Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 AM

was it this weekend? how'd it go?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2009, 11:46 AM

No it's not for a few weeks. It's hard to schedule something when everyone is available simultaneously.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2009, 08:45 PM

What about the ever popular "pot luck?" You set up the chips, veggies, etc., and ask your invitees to bring various and assorted stuff. One of the best types of parties I've ever been to has been an ice-breaker party where, without organization, everybody brought "something." I got to try some Turkish dish made from eggplant (I hate eggplant, but this was good), some really tiny spring rolls that were like ambrosia, and pistachio baklava. I think I was really imaginative for this one: I brought a pumpkin ice cream pie.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2009, 09:21 PM

I work with a bunch of people who would likely bring boring (e.g. not international) things. Everyone's bringing something, but I told them generally what to bring (e.g. "dessert"). I think we'll be fine on the food this time around - I definitely want to get a little more creative next time, though.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2009, 03:25 AM

I got to try some Turkish dish made from eggplant (I hate eggplant, but this was good)
Baba Gannuş?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2009, 06:12 AM

Baba Gannuş?
Yes sweet cheeks?

OreoCookie
Jan 13, 2009, 07:21 AM

Baba Gannuş?
I guess it's `Sleeping Imam', Karniyarik. It's very good.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Yes sweet cheeks?
Okay, that made me

Forum Links
Forum Rules