Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G5 single 1.8 GHz - PSU noise! OMG!

PowerMac G5 single 1.8 GHz - PSU noise! OMG!
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 08:14 PM

Sounds similar to the hard drive, but comes from the very bottom of the G5 case. This area houses the power suppy unit.

I was shocked! I love this computer, but the noise started last night and is unbearable. Does not correspond to cpu or hard drive load at all.

Comes and goes. But lately has been on quite a bit.

Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Would that CHUD thing help me at all?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 08:18 PM

Sounds like a slight vibration problem or a bad bearing. The vibrating problem is more common with PCs, but can happen on any machine with movable parts. If you feel like voiding your warranty you could take apart the PSU and replace the fan yourself. It would be a fun project. Or you could take it to a shop and they'd probably replace the fan for you.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
Sounds like a slight vibration problem or a bad bearing. The vibrating problem is more common with PCs, but can happen on any machine with movable parts. If you feel like voiding your warranty you could take apart the PSU and replace the fan yourself. It would be a fun project. Or you could take it to a shop and they'd probably replace the fan for you.
Ignore the PC user that knows nothing about G5s. The G5 power supplies chirp. I've never heard one that makes loud noises, but I've also never heard one that doesn't make noises. My best guess is that it's coming from capacitors inside the machine.

BTW, DO NOT TAKE APART THE POWER SUPPLY. If you take your machine in for service, they also will not be taking apart the power supply. The whole thing would be replaced.

If the machine is under warranty, you can talk to them about letting them diagnose the problem, and then you can use the machine until the part gets there. If they have a backlog of machines to work on, you can get your name in line.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules