Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone Buy MUSIC from Apple

Anyone Buy MUSIC from Apple
iHanhauser
Apr 29, 2003, 01:57 AM

so ........... Have you, or do still like sharing.

rosencrantz1114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 02:31 AM

Bought a couple of tunes. It actually feels good to pay for them; I used peer-to-peer for music when I wanted only a song or two off of an album, and didn't want to drop 15 bucks. Good for Apple in giving us an opportunity to compromise.
"The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new..." -Beckett

TimeOnMyHands
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 02:35 AM

I just bought "Unwell" by Matchbox 20. This is the way it's supposed to be! SLICK, sounds great, and above all, it feels good to be legal.

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 07:38 AM

when my 17" gets here hopefully in the next day or 2

acadian
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:00 AM

Not international though, you need a credit card with a U.S. address to buy music. Guess all of us "wannabee" legit music downloaders in Canada are still pariahs.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 10:10 AM

Apple got $3.00 off of me yesterday.

-- Jason

cambro
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:49 AM

Yeah, I bought a song just to see how it worked.

I have high hopes for this service. It is fast, easy to use, and beautifully integrated with everything.

Now, about all those people crying over the pricing, have ANY of them walked into a music store lately??? These prices are amazing, really. I expected a record-store hosing.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 11:08 AM

They got $9 off me last night! I love it!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 11:33 AM

I bought the two versions of Layla this morning, because I had just one version and it was a crappy recording. Now I have two really nice ones! I'm happy, just $2 to help round out my music collection. My mom is going to love this. She's bought a lot of CDs for one or two good songs on them, and this should be a good way for her to get music... and she won't have to listen to that RealPlayer sh*t from Amazon.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 12:03 PM

Never gonna happen here, P2P is still the way to go in my honest opinion. If I buy music, it's gonna be a HARD COPY. There's no way I'm buying a digital format than can easily get deleted by an accidental crash or the like, and then you'll have to "buy" a replacement. Possible if they kept a record of the songs you've purchased and allowed your login name to download your bought songs as many time as you need, then it would be okay. But I'm not buying something that's not already on a CD that cannot get deleted from a hard drive. Sure, you can burn it to your own CD, but it's not the same.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 12:04 PM

I would ordinarily keep my 99 cents for something like this, but in the back of my mind I think that the more successful this online music store is, it can only be good things for apple. If i find anyhting i like, I may do the right and buy it, but let's be honest, how much out there is really worth it?? Most of the stuff I would buy I've bought already...

for Apple on this new venture.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 12:12 PM

I will, however, add that I'm extremely happy to see Apple embracing this type of service. It's been talked about forever, selling digital music, but now Apple has led the way in finally grabbing hold of this idea in a major way and making it happen. I hope to see huge profit margins for them.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
I would ordinarily keep my 99 cents for something like this, but in the back of my mind I think that the more successful this online music store is, it can only be good things for apple. If i find anyhting i like, I may do the right and buy it, but let's be honest, how much out there is really worth it?? Most of the stuff I would buy I've bought already...

for Apple on this new venture.
I concur. They've priced songs extremely well, so that the Apple Music Store will be my first stop for music. But, like djjava, I've got just about everything I need as well as a free way to get what I don't. Yet, the fact that my purchases will help out Apple has huge pull for me. Such an Apple sucker.

As for Apple's new venture, I hesitate. It's a new market dominated by some big names. I hope Apple pulls it off (it's talks with AOL and others are VERY inticing), but it's going to be some hard work. Here's hoping though!

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 01:16 PM

Personally I spent $12 yesterday. I was actually going to buy a couple Smash Mouth CDs this weekend, so I thought I would get that. I like how I was able to listen to the songs, which convinced me that only one of the CDs were actually worth buying. The other I just bought one song from. I was also going to buy a Norah Jones CD, but I only liked two of her songs anyway. So I spent $12 instead of probably $45. That makes me a happy customer.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 01:22 PM

I think its a great idea, and very well implimented by Apple. But you won't catch me buying music from them. Though its legal, it will never be the quality you get when you can set the bitrate yourself from making your own mp3s. I don't steal music and never have either. My entire 6.5 gig music library is legal, all personally encoded! Which gets tedious, especially when I used to use a PEECEE and would have to format my drive with no DVD backup utility. I love my 17-inch Powerbook!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

cobra7869
Apr 29, 2003, 01:39 PM

Last night and this morning, upon waking up to an earthquake here in Georgia, I pulled out my 12" PB and signed on to the Music Store. I proceeded to buy 31 songs. Over all I spent 30 dollars. I purchased one whole album for 9.99 which surely would have been 15 dollars or so in the store. As their music database grows this will be very cool. If the price is brought down to .75 or .50 cents that would be sweet.

Will I keep using it? Sure. It is a novelty at first and I just purchased random songs, that I like mind you but, realistically everytime I open iTunes, I don't want to buy a song or album. Though, that temptation is there with the Music Store staring you in the face.

I love the whole experience. The past couple years if people are not getting music for free, in their minds they might as well not have it. While everyone surely has received an illegal copy of a song or two, I agree with someone who noted above that basically it feels great to enjoy such a service and pay for just what I want. Not the service, but just the songs.

My hat is off to Apple. This is just the beginning. Hopefully they will keep growing the database rapidly and update "New Releases", etc... on a regular basis. (IE: Like every Tuesday when most new albums come out. )
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

@ho
Apr 29, 2003, 02:52 PM

i download 3 songs yesterday, also I stayed until 2 o clock to watch all steve speech
I love this sevice, I have never ever buy or steel any song from any music service and thanks apple for doing this so easy
I wish apple release an article about how many tunes were downloaded on the fisrt day of the service, this will make great exprectations on the future of the service, hope the windows version to include less things to pc users to show the mac is best

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Never gonna happen here, P2P is still the way to go in my honest opinion. If I buy music, it's gonna be a HARD COPY. There's no way I'm buying a digital format than can easily get deleted by an accidental crash or the like, and then you'll have to "buy" a replacement. Possible if they kept a record of the songs you've purchased and allowed your login name to download your bought songs as many time as you need, then it would be okay. But I'm not buying something that's not already on a CD that cannot get deleted from a hard drive. Sure, you can burn it to your own CD, but it's not the same.
I don't see the validity of this argument. While I can definitely understand someone preferring physical CDs, the danger of having your music accidentally deleted is not big if you take a few precations, like backing your files up to CD-R or DVD-R every once in a while. (I don't necessarily mean converting the track to an audio CD either -- just burn the data file to a CD and you have a more or less permenant copy.)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 04:08 PM

Why should I be forced, or even expected, to have to "back-up" something I pay for to own? If Apple logged every song you owned so you could download them as many times as you wanted, then I'd feel much better about paying for digital music. After all, you're entitled to an infinite number of copies of music if you own them for your own personal use.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 04:11 PM

AssassyN, so when you buy a CD of the music you want for $17 and lose it, then what? Go back to the store and ask for another copy for free since you lost it?

While with this service you can get the same thing for $10 and burn it to a CD, or another CD, or another...

cambro
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 04:29 PM

Why should I be forced, or even expected, to have to "back-up" something I pay for to own? If Apple logged every song you owned so you could download them as many times as you wanted, then I'd feel much better about paying for digital music. After all, you're entitled to an infinite number of copies of music if you own them for your own personal use.
Come on...like CheesePoof said if you buy a CD and then loose it tough sh*t.

You can't expect Apple to hold everyone's hand about taking care of their data. You CAN back up your songs. That's enough.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 04:35 PM

To each his own.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 05:12 PM

I have a few ideas that I think would make this service even better. First, you should be able to define your favorite artists. Then, when one of those artists releases a new album you're invited to download it. Also, there is something Music Match tried to do a few years ago that I think would be great (FYI: Music Match had to stop because they were sued by the RIAA). Start an Internet radio station that only plays songs that are available on the music service. While the song is playing iTunes can show information about the song and have the buy button as well. That way, if you hear a song that you normally would not have heard you can buy it if you like it. It is beyond my why the RIAA would be against this.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 05:21 PM

To each his own.

AssassyN do have a backup of all your mp3's now right! what would be different, the new songs would just get backed up along with the rest of your files. I just don't see the problem I guess. I already make nightly backups of my powerbook(in that backup is my mp3's) So yes I will not lose them. I could make the same arguement over apple needs to provide 80gigs of space to backup my harddrive. NOT THERE PROBLEM. but as you said, to each his own.

That would be cool thou. for every file I have on my HD apple would store it for me WOW!

not flaming you just a thought.
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 05:33 PM

Dude, I'm not suggesting Apple "store" each song you own just for you, I'm saying they should give you access to that particular song's download as many time as you want after you've logged in and it should recall a list of songs you've purchased in which you automatically have access to download again. They'd only be storing lists of purchases, not songs set aside for certain people.

It's not a difficult concept, AOL Instant Messenger keeps a file on their servers of who is in your buddy list, so if you sign on at someone else's home, YOUR buddy list appears.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2003, 06:03 PM

It's not a difficult concept, AOL Instant Messenger keeps a file on their servers of who is in your buddy list, so if you sign on at someone else's home, YOUR buddy list appears.
The problem with this is how do they keep someone from logging in at their friends house and downloading it to their computer? I think a song on a computer and ipod is backup enough, if not, burn all of them to a DVD or CD for storage.

k2director
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 06:49 PM

I don't think it's too hard to back up your data--be it Word docs, music, video, whatever. This is becoming a digital world where tangible, hard product isn't necessary (and I like that). And how often do you have a non-recoverable hard drive crash, anyway? I haven't had one in 3 years, and I could have rescued that drive had I known a few tricks that I know now. If I don't count that drive, it's been 14 years since I've had a drive truly die!

I think the Music Store is phenomenal. Makes buying music fun, fast, convenient, etc. etc. I'll be buying a lot more music now that I can regularly sample new releases, and buy em for $1 on the spot. Shucks, I pay $1.09 for the Wall Street Journal or NT Times every couple of days, just to have something to read over a burrito. $1 for a song I like is a steal.

Spent $40 at the Store on day one...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by slffl:
The problem with this is how do they keep someone from logging in at their friends house and downloading it to their computer? I think a song on a computer and ipod is backup enough, if not, burn all of them to a DVD or CD for storage.
Doesn't matter. At the time of downloading, that user was downloading to listen for his OWN PERSONAL USAGE. After he leaves, it's his responsibility to delete it. Nothing illegal, period.

I'm simply offering tidbits in which I think Apple could improve on. The service is wonderful, but nothing's perfect.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 10:08 PM

This is also my first thought...what if for whatever reason I lost my songs...It's definitely nice to be able to re-download without additional fee for those you've already paid for.

I have not used the service since I don't have a Mac yet...but I'm sure its in the fine-print somewhere
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

jsiburt
Apr 30, 2003, 12:03 AM

I can't stop listening to samples! My work is suffering. I did buy a CD today,
Havalina, "Space, Love, and Bullfighting"

WAIT! I didn't buy a CD, I bought an album. NO! NO! NO! I bought audio sounds!

OK what do we call it???

Music
Noise
Digital Ambience
Audible components

We once could say MP3s but now they're AAC or MPg4. Any thoughts? Oh yeah so we are in line with the forum. I downloaded them on my PB 17". By the way the speakers sound pretty good.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 01:11 AM

Doesn't matter. At the time of downloading, that user was downloading to listen for his OWN PERSONAL USAGE. After he leaves, it's his responsibility to delete it. Nothing illegal, period.
So you are saying that not only should Apple allow you to re-download songs if you accidentally delete them or lose them in a crash, but they should allow you to download them to temporarily listen to at a friend's house?

Apple isn't in the business of giving you download or streaming access to a song you buy in perpetuity. They are just giving you a digital copy of a song in exchange for a fee. I think this discussion has already touched on some of the problems that can arise if they allowed people to download multiple times. And just think what might happen if Apple decided to discontinue the service some time in the future. People would be angry because they no longer had access to "their" music. While I do agree with the sentiment that you should be allowed to re-download, I don't think it is practical.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 01:16 AM

So does anyone know how many years back these go that you could purchase? Are there 50s? 60s? I can see my Dad being very interested in this. There's many tunes he likes from that time, that he can't find on peer to peer and would gladly pay for them. Is it just songs that you can find on CD? Haven't truly spent time checking it out yet.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 01:16 AM

who cares. in a couple of years you'll stream everything from the source anyway. no big deal.
Backup your Backup

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by cambro:
Yeah, I bought a song just to see how it worked.

I have high hopes for this service. It is fast, easy to use, and beautifully integrated with everything.

Now, about all those people crying over the pricing, have ANY of them walked into a music store lately??? These prices are amazing, really. I expected a record-store hosing.
hey I love the idea, and if i was an american i probably would have a couple dozen already...but it's too expensive. Think about it...this way they don't have to pay for manufacturing, shipping, packaging, retail store space etc...that's where all the cost of cd's comes from. This songs should be way less than a buck each...that's fifteen bucks for a typical fifteen song cd...that's what you pay in the music stores already but you don't get any of the packaging etc....so you're actually doing them a favour so they don't have to do the previously mentioned packaging etc..!!! rip off people!
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
...I do agree with the sentiment that you should be allowed to re-download...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 07:33 AM

I bought a few on my brand spanking new 17"

they did not have a few that I was looking for, but that will change in time I am sure.

Very easy to use and fast. When more content is added, this will be the bomb

( Last edited by videian28; Apr 30, 2003 at 08:43 AM. )

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 08:22 AM

Never gonna happen here, P2P is still the way to go in my honest opinion.
AssassyN, I wasn't aware P2P gave you a physical product . . . you download the song from a P2P, you still have to back it up.

Also, the argument that this should be less because you have to provide your own disc doesn't work either. iTunes lets you back up your songs as MP3s or AAC, you don't have to make a music CD. The point? The $3 DVD-R I bought the other day can back up something like 1000 songs (of course if Apple let my TiBook use DVD-RAM or at least DVD-RW, this would be even better, but I digress). I am still saving money vs buying a whole CD for 10 - 17 bucks and only liking a couple of songs on it.

Artwork? I didn't realize discs came with anything useful anymore. When you download a song, you get the cover art. I guess I'll miss getting ads to buy T-Shirts in the CDs I won't be buying anymore, but that's about it.

Anyway, this service is for those of us who wanted a legal way to buy music electronically. For people who are OK stealing music, there isn't a price point that would have been good.

-- Jason

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 08:31 AM

I've always thought that you should be able to buy at a reduced cost another copy of an album that a label has you on record (pardon the unintentional pun) as having if you were to lose it or want to have it in another place (I'd like all my CDs in New Zealand *and* in London, for example).

I think it's unreasonable that you have to pay the same amount to get it again when you've already paid the licensing fees etc. I'd be happy to pay as much as it costs (perhaps $2 or $3 - who knows?) to get another copy produced and sent out. If I lose a CD or it gets damaged, then no, I don't feel I should have to lump the full cost again.

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
AssassyN, so when you buy a CD of the music you want for $17 and lose it, then what? Go back to the store and ask for another copy for free since you lost it?

While with this service you can get the same thing for $10 and burn it to a CD, or another CD, or another...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
AssassyN, I wasn't aware P2P gave you a physical product . . . you download the song from a P2P, you still have to back it up.
The difference is P2P doesn't *owe* you a physical product; it's free. Apple's music, however, isn't free.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by pamelah:
hey I love the idea, and if i was an american i probably would have a couple dozen already...but it's too expensive. Think about it...this way they don't have to pay for manufacturing, shipping, packaging, retail store space etc...that's where all the cost of cd's comes from. This songs should be way less than a buck each...that's fifteen bucks for a typical fifteen song cd...that's what you pay in the music stores already but you don't get any of the packaging etc....so you're actually doing them a favour so they don't have to do the previously mentioned packaging etc..!!! rip off people!
This has been discussed quite a bit, but people tend to overestimate how much it costs to manufacturer CDs (the costs involved in promotion and creation of the music are far greater). But it is also my position that allowing people to download individual songs will in some cases result in people not buying an album that they might have before, which results in less revenue. Traditionally, hit singles have been the insentive to buy entire CDs. (That is, you might buy a CD because you think you will like the rest of the songs on the album, but many times it's mainly to get one or two hits). If songs are available individually and people can preview the songs on the album, then this is may result in decreased revenue in the eyes of the record companies, since people may only download that song and nothing else.

Of course you can make the argument that having songs available individually (and with easy previews) will actually make people buy more music, and I tend to agree with that idea to some extent too, but the record companies probably won't see it that way.

So anyway, $.99 seems to be sort of a good compromise. It has to be high enough to allow everyone involved to get their cut, but low enough to still seem relatively cheap.

This is all a big experiement, of course. No one really knows how people will behave given this new way of purchasing music.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 09:42 AM

I've bought three albums, it's super easy, and I dig the instant gratification

lfrog2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 10:47 AM

The difference is P2P doesn't *owe* you a physical product; it's free. Apple's music, however, isn't free.
[rant]
I assume the P2P you refer to is a legally valid transaction. If not, you are in violation of the law and committing theft, copyright infringement, blah, blah, blah. There is no justification. Period. Why not just take a bike that is sitting on the street? It is a product that is owned by someone else. Now in P2P if the person that you got the music from lost access to that music, then the transaction would be ok. They would be transfering the rights to you.

Yes, big corporations make lots of money, but guess what pays their employees. You can also buy shares and be an owner entitled to some of the profits, if any. What about the artists, they are trying to make a living and they get royalties. This is how intellectual property generally works.

Sorry about the rant, but those that tend to justify P2P (and there are some valid justifications) tend to use adoloscent arguements. Hey, maybe I am just tired of adolescent know-it-alls that really do not know anything and have not really worked much in there life, and an after school job does not count. Or maybe I find it appalling how few adults really know how much it costs to have a business. Just so you know, I think most adolescents are actually great kids.

Btw, if you are unwilling to pay for something, then that item really does not have any real value to you.
[/rant]

bluejam
Apr 30, 2003, 11:26 AM

I haven't tried the sevice yet but I know I will embrace it. I am so sick of paing $17 a pop and rummaging through thousands of used CD's only to find 2-3 songs worth listening to.
I cannot understand anyone with good computer skills having a problem backing up thier music. As for quality, I have a highend stereo system and I can hardly notice a difference between hard or soft copies. After downloading my entire collection onto my PB, I can put books in my CD shelf. Jeeze, I can probably get $5 bucks a pop for them and get me an iPod.
I have always thought CD's are(were?)overpriced but I find a buck a song a steal. I save on gas, time, storage space, songs I don't like and best of all, having to listen to the crap the adolescent record store employees listen to while I shop. Just a joke...my son is adolecsent and I love him to death.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by bluejam:
After downloading my entire collection onto my PB, I can put books in my CD shelf. Jeeze, I can probably get $5 bucks a pop for them and get me an iPod.
It's a nice idea, and it'd be the best way to make sure you had your own tastes in music covered on your machine (since Apple's service is unlikely to offer a great deal of music that some people listen to), but wouldn't that music on your machine then be pirated in effectively the same way that it would had you downloaded it from the net? i.e. you bought it and sold it, thereby relinquishing your right to listen to it.

Sucks...

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 12:05 PM

I spent $8 on music yesterday and thought that this was a pretty cool concept for Apple and their customers. Best thing about this concept is that you know you'll get a good quality version of the song compared to downloading via P2P. The crap that people put on P2P sounds as if they recorded off the radio. You take a chance at downloading it from P2P and hope that it sounds great or at least decent. But through Apple's music store, you know that you'll be getting good quality sound. I like the fact that you can download one song for $.99! Its not all that bad, really. I'm not sure if I'm right or not but I wish there was a feature where you can sample a snippet of the song before you download. Is there such a thing in the new iTunes/music store?

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
They got $9 off me last night! I love it!
Well... they only got 30-40 cents, didn't they?

What is the breakdown, anyway?

$0.99 for the purchase flat.

$0.60 to recording label.
$0.39 cents to apple

Or is there more to it?

Additionally, how much does the artist him/herself see from this?

$0.60 to recording label:
$0.50 to label itself
$0.10 to artist?

I am under the impression that artists get totally ripped off by the label.

Furthermore, what about independent artists who want to post on the iTunes music store? Would they, then, get $0.60? Probably not; they'd still have to sign up with _some_ label, no matter how small. Or would they? Could they go directly through Apple? Making $0.60/song ain't too bad I'd say for an artist when you get millions of people buying it!

I reckon I need to get myself into music as an independent!

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:13 PM

Possible if they kept a record of the songs you've purchased and allowed your login name to download your bought songs as many time as you need, then it would be okay. But I'm not buying something that's not already on a CD that cannot get deleted from a hard drive. Sure, you can burn it to your own CD, but it's not the same.
I agree that a hard copy is a great thing, but I think Apple keeps tabs of what you download so in case you lose it, you can get it again. The way it works on usual online stores where you buy a song for 99 cents is you have a few weeks to get it if you lose it. I think. But I am sure that Apple took this into account so in case you get a HD failure, your $100 you spent on songs from the iTunes store can be easily recovered. It's something worth investigating, but I refuse to believe they wouldn't let you re-download a song. What if you bought a new computer and you're out in Europe without access to your home box? Or if your home box is stolen? Certainly they would let you redownload what you bought.

Does anyone know Apple's policy on this?

bluejam
Apr 30, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
It's a nice idea, and it'd be the best way to make sure you had your own tastes in music covered on your machine (since Apple's service is unlikely to offer a great deal of music that some people listen to), but wouldn't that music on your machine then be pirated in effectively the same way that it would had you downloaded it from the net? i.e. you bought it and sold it, thereby relinquishing your right to listen to it.

Sucks...
That is actually a good point. However all my CD's were first purchased legally by me to do as I please, including reselling. Pirating is the act of copying and reselling that copy, not the original. I haven't heard of record companies, artists or book publishers cracking down on yard sales yet but will keep my eyes open.

I am surprised there is no problem with major retail chains reselling used CD's.

Please, lets not throw common sense out the window yet again.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
But it is also my position that allowing people to download individual songs will in some cases result in people not buying an album that they might have before, which results in less revenue.
That is a good point, but I think the recording labels are coming to face the lesser of two evils. You can't stop P2P, no matter how much the RIAA tries since hackers will always come up with an alternative (I've got my money on FreeNet once there's a good file sharing/searching module). The recording labels realize this, so they want to try to at least make some money from the online distribution system that is the Internet. Therefore, something like Apple's iTunes store will generate some revenue. 60 cents/song ain't too bad. This system also allows them to continue to generate revenue on albums that have been discontinued! So as the amount of music crap being generated now continues, more and more older stuff will be lost. The digital online system provides a quick and easy access to all those lost archives. So while your bread and butter will always be the hot songs of the day, you can continue to easily generate revenue on older releases.

It's the lesser of two evils for the labels. Either make no money on P2P and waste millions on filthy lawyers who will attempt to shut down a part of the internet (and who will ultimately fail), or try to bridge a compromise.

Kudos, Mr. Jobs.

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by lfrog2:
[rant]
Yes, big corporations make lots of money, but guess what pays their employees. You can also buy shares and be an owner entitled to some of the profits, if any. What about the artists, they are trying to make a living and they get royalties. This is how intellectual property generally works.
[/rant]
Artists make little from the labels. Artists make their real money from concerts, promotional deals, selling out in general. The labels just give them advertising.

Forum Links
Forum Rules