Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Heat issues? Only with adapter?

Heat issues? Only with adapter?
Albini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 10:35 PM

I�m a happy switcher with a (well, almost: one dead pixel at the very bottom of the screen) new albook 15" superdrive with standard configuration.

I left the laptop downloading stuff all night long yesterday with the power adapter plugged and the battery full charged. When I woke up the computer was Ultra-hot!, even the speakers and the zone where the wrists rest, not to mention the bottom: boiling!.
In addition, the screen brightness keys didn�t react and I had to reboot.

I�ve noticed that people report their albooks run very cool (are they very optimistic?), mine too but only when I am running without the power adapter.

I,ve tried temperature monitor 1.31 fron versiontracker and it says 44�C (equivalent to 110 F) now, with the notebook at its best (lowest) temperature, of course without the power cord.

I�m getting 3 hours of the battery with brightness at 3 bars, airport off, bluetooth off and maximum battery life, only typing this message and surfing.
Then I typed this at the console and got:

[Ordenador-de-Carlos-L-pez-Rold-n:~] albini% ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo
| | | | "IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=3811,"Amperage"=1209,"Current"=1778," Voltage"=11149,"Flags"=4})
[Ordenador-de-Carlos-L-pez-Rold-n:~] albini%

I�ve seen other users reporting "Capacity=4500", do I have a crap battery?
Do I call the store and tell them about the heat issue?

bgordon
Nov 4, 2003, 10:47 PM

Nah, your 'book is normal (well, at least it compares favorably to mine.) I have a 15-inch 1Ghz Al-book and it runs warm-to-hot, esp. when running major applications. Temperature monitor gives me 43-48 Celsius under basic Web surfing conditions, and up to 56-58 (ouch!) when running Warbirds III.

I am a little spoiled about heat issues, my previous laptop being a clamshell iBook that didn't get warm, really, at all. But I've read a lot about Powerbooks running hot on the bottom (even the old Pismos, which I confirmed by picking up a coworker's in the office recently), so I figure this is par for the course. I'm not too happy about it, but it's not a deal-breaker, and I just went ahead and got a Podium Coolpad for those times when it gets really hot and I still want to use it on my lap.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 11:56 PM

Your battery's capacity is LOW have that exchanged!!!!!
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

@ho
Nov 5, 2003, 01:10 AM

Mine only gets warm or hot when connected to the power adapter or let it for long time on mi bed with no way the hot air can come out.

Under normal circunstances and with batery it is very cool

Albini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 03:20 PM

I called Apple yesterday and after 20 minutes listening to funny tunes got same answers I�ve already had... (It seems like they read the manual...).

I�ve seen that it�s better if I convince them to make a note in my customer profile so when I ask for a battery replacement at the Store they check my profile and give me a new battery without a problem.

Do i call Apple again and tell them to make this note??

Thank you in advance.

PS: Excuse me if my english isn�t good enough, I�m from Spain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules