Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Issues with Latest Mozilla. Need help.

Issues with Latest Mozilla. Need help.
simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 12:49 PM

Hi,

I made the mistake of updating my version of Mozilla today. Now two irritating things are happening:

1) Mailto links are no longer being handled my Mac Mail app but Mozilla's Mail app.

This used to be handled by a file 'user.js'in my profiles folder. That file is still there but Mozilla is ignoring it.

How can I reset this?

2) Links in other apps, Mail for instance, are being opened in an existing Mozilla window rather than a new one.

How can I reset this?

Hope someone can help... :-)

Thanks

Simon
London Uk
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2005, 01:02 PM

I take it you're modifying user.js to try and set these things to what you want. If so, are you making sure to quit Mozilla before editing the file?

Mozilla reads in user.js when it starts up. When it quits, it saves whatever preferences it's got set at that moment to user.js, so if it's running and you edit the file, then when Mozilla quits it will overwrite what you've written. This is why you need to quit Mozilla before editing any of those files.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I take it you're modifying user.js to try and set these things to what you want. If so, are you making sure to quit Mozilla before editing the file?

Mozilla reads in user.js when it starts up. When it quits, it saves whatever preferences it's got set at that moment to user.js, so if it's running and you edit the file, then when Mozilla quits it will overwrite what you've written. This is why you need to quit Mozilla before editing any of those files.
Millenium,

Thanks for your message. I can't have checked the appropriate box as I didn't get the email to say you had replied, sorry...

User.js was edited with Moz quit.

In User.js I have
Code:
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);
Moz still handles email links internally rather than letting MailApp do it.

I don't know how to set the new window thing...

Any further ideas?

Simon
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 10:52 AM

1) Mailto links are no longer being handled my Mac Mail app but Mozilla's Mail app.

That's a good thing in as far as I'm concerned

It sounds like you've configured Mozilla not to grab the mailto: association, but now you have to get Mail to grab it back. The mailto: association is ultimatly an OS setting, not a Mozilla setting.

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by deboerjo:

That's a good thing in as far as I'm concerned

It sounds like you've configured Mozilla not to grab the mailto: association, but now you have to get Mail to grab it back. The mailto: association is ultimatly an OS setting, not a Mozilla setting.
deboerjo,

Go on, tell me how to do it...I've no idea.

Simon

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 03:27 PM

I'm afraid I don't know, it should be a setting in Mail somewhere, a "set as default mail program" option or something. I don't use Mail. Look in Mail->Preferences

-Jon

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by deboerjo:
I'm afraid I don't know, it should be a setting in Mail somewhere, a "set as default mail program" option or something. I don't use Mail. Look in Mail->Preferences

-Jon
deboerjo,

'Default Email reader' is already set in Mail app to be Mail app.

In the previous version of Mozilla, all that needed to be done was the line in user.js. Now it's different for some reason.

Maybe it's a bug...

Thanks anyway

Simon

Forum Links
Forum Rules