Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So why are the Superdrives in 2.5Ghz G5s crippled?

So why are the Superdrives in 2.5Ghz G5s crippled?
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 04:16 AM

Hi,

I recently found out that my Sony Superdrive in my 2.5GHz G5 is actually a crippled Lite-on drive.

The full-spec Lite-on includes dual-layer burning, which can be reinstated with a firmware update (see my other thread about updating the firmware).

I just wondered if anyone knew if Apple crippled the drives or if Sony did?

It would also be interesting to see what make/model superdrives are in the new 2.7Ghz, as I believe that they support dual-layer out of the box.

Thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 07:05 AM

Apple doesn't want you to have the best.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 12:01 PM

Ask Sony.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 12:01 PM

Why do you say it's crippled? Apple never promised dual-layer writing on their June 2004 edition Power Mac G5's. You got what Apple specs page said, a single layer DVD writer. If the vendor later supplied a firmware update to mae it dual-layer, your getting an added bonus.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

trancepriest
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
Why do you say it's crippled? Apple never promised dual-layer writing on their June 2004 edition Power Mac G5's. You got what Apple specs page said, a single layer DVD writer. If the vendor later supplied a firmware update to mae it dual-layer, your getting an added bonus.
Are you retarded or just dumb?

lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 08:32 PM

How is it retarded what Leonard said? He's completely right, Apple only needs to provide what the specs say are included. If you happened to have a bonus, and now you got a DL drive, count your lucky stars and move on.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 09:31 PM

Seems like everyone is sipping on the Haterade today.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 02:05 PM

I'm not retarded, I'm just looking at why do people have to complain when they get more than what Apple said they would, and yet they have the nerve to complain. You got a dual layer writer when Apple was only promising you a single-layer writer. Be happy with it! Instead, NOOOO, you have to pick at it. If you want to name call, I'd call that retarded.

It would be like getting a car with a stereo with no CD player according to the contract, but when you get it home, you find a CD player behind a face-plate on the stereo. Would you complain?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 02:44 PM

They obviously can't ship the same product with different specs on random. I bet the remaining 85% or so who got theirs with non-DL drives would be pissed if they did.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 07:27 PM

Actually, they probably do it because they cannot get the old drives anymore for production, but rather than "upgrade" the PMs in the interim, they apply a firmware that limits their use to single layer.

I think it sucks and that they should let the user get the maximum out of their machine. Like those rumored 5Gb iPod minis that are crippled to be 4GB.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 05:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn'tmean to come across like I was complaining or such like - I just genuinely wondered what the reasoning behind is was.

Thanks again,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 09:08 PM

The complexities of managing a supply chain is all that is at work here. I would imagine it was Sony that did the crippling, not Apple. Sony's been buying parts from Lite-On recently, and even entire drives. I've seen this before, a while ago Best Buy was carrying Verbatim branded 52x24x52x CD-RW drives, there were three COMPLETELY different drives in the boxes, even though they were identically marked on the outside of the box. Some were manufactured by Asus, some were Lite-On, and some were another manufacturer (can't remember). And somebody told me that one of them was actually a 52x32x52x drive with a firmware update from the appropriate manufacturer. Likewise, a computer manufacturer will very often not use the exact same brand parts in a particular computer model if they can get away with it. I've seen that alot with Apples and Dells, two identical models off the exact same truck, but one has a Maxtor hard drive and the other has a Seagate for example. They're the same size and RPM speed, so the customer gets what was advertised regardless, but some customers might luck out and get a drive with considerably higher performance. Bottom line is that manufacturers will use whoever's parts will allow them to ship on time and in budget that particular month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules