Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Advice on game selection for newbie

Advice on game selection for newbie
dzh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2005, 04:13 AM

I'm not new to macs but have minimal gaming experience. I'd like to try some games, perhaps starting with a 3D shooting game and a car racing game: preferably something with impressive graphics but which isn't too difficult to play initially. I have a dual 2GHz G5 and a 15" 1.67GHz PB each with 1GB RAM. Any advice on what games to try?

Thanks

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2005, 11:05 AM

As for the racing sim, there are several that are fun. Total Immersion Racing from www.feralinteractive.com is fun and relatively easy to play, but has no online component to it. NASCAR 2003 (if you can find it anywhere) is a lot of fun, has great graphics and realism, lots of online play, but has a bit of a learning curve. F1 Championship Season 2000, also from Feral, is fun, but again, sttep learning curve and no online play. If you're just looking to drive a sim for fun, I'd go with Total Immersion Racing.

As for the 3D shooter, there are many. True Crime, Close Combat First to Fight, Call of Duty...depends on what genre you like, war, modern day, futuristic, etc. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I'm sure the others on here will have LOTS of other good suggestions for you, have fun!

Tom

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2005, 10:30 AM

Call of Duty is a very good, and easy to pick up, WWII first person shooter. The controls are very simple and basic, and you don't have to mess with controlling teammates, so it's very easy to just sit down and get into it.

There is a demo available, so you can check that out first. Check MacGameFiles.com and you should find demos galore.
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 05:27 PM

I'm not much for racing sims, but I thouroughly enjoy shooters. For a "traditional" shooter, I recommend Halo. For an arena-combat run-and-gun shooter, my fav is Unreal Tournament 2004. Among war sims, Call of Duty stands head and shoulders above the rest. For "realistic" team-oriented combat sims, I prefer Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory (and best of all, it's free).

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 05:40 PM

RTCW Enemy Territory is FREE and it kicks butt!

wh00t!!!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2005, 05:58 PM

Well, as long as we are mentioning free games with extremely high learning curves, we might as well mention America's Army...

Oh wait, this guy specifically said he didn't want games that are difficult to learn....
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by The iMac Man
Well, as long as we are mentioning free games with extremely high learning curves, we might as well mention America's Army...

Oh wait, this guy specifically said he didn't want games that are difficult to learn....
What, you think Enemy Territory is hard to learn? Not really. Figuring out some of the special roles (engineer, medic, etc) is a slight learning curve, but if that intimidates you just play as a regular soldier.

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2005, 02:13 AM

Gish is awsome, and you dont have to play for a long time, u can just play for a couple of minutes, easy, but tricky at times
w3rd..
surrey represent

Coug-it
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 11:31 PM

Here's a free one based on a modified engine based on the Quake sourcecode...

http://www.nexuiz.com

No Mac binary to download yet, but if you're handy with a compiler you can
compile your own. Check out the forum section under General Discussions
for some tips.

XatreyuX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 02:46 PM

runescape is acctualy an ok game.. i dont play it anymore it has pretty bad graphics but it can be addicting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules