Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.4.4 [Macworld Official Thread]

Mac OS X 10.4.4 [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 2)
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 AM

Well, looks like Apple changed something in Exposé that used to annoy me.

Used to be if you used the Show Desktop feature then opened a .zip or .dmg it would reveal the windows again. Now it keeps them off-screen.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 10:32 AM

it's a shame that the spinning fans problem hans't been sorted
I'm sticking with 10.4.2...

Please let me know if someone gets it fixed with this update.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 10:33 AM

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 10:34 AM

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 10:37 AM

Can anyone confirm that the 10.4.4 update fixes the issues with the MacNN Forums? lol

No problems here and I agree with those who have posted that the system seems a bit more responsive all aroud.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 10:37 AM

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:30 PM

Yeah the widgets are mostly useless for non-US users.

Safari still doesn't work properly with gmail. i.e. it can't do html formatting.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 PM

::woops:: miss-post
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 PM

Anybody find any exciting new features? What did they improve about the Address Book?

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 01:48 PM

A few things.

- "Architecture" Get Info item that was introduced with 10.4.3 is now removed, but you're still Apple to Get Info and see what binary it is next to the title.

- On the bottom of the "Software Update" screen they added some legal license agreement stuff.

- In Safari, saving a Quicktime movie now defaults to the Desktop, not the root HD. Mb this is a Quicktime 7.0.4 fix.

On the 10.4.4 server side, a few great fixes. One of them here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302977
( Last edited by Webscreamer; Jan 11, 2006 at 02:05 PM. )

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 02:08 PM

overall I was disappointed with this update (and the keynote in general).

The address book widget and the weather widgets are the only ones I use from Apple. the rest always have seemed piss poor to me.

Safari has been slow for me ever since 10.4.3 so I rely more on Firefox these days.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 02:10 PM

double post
( Last edited by mpancha; Jan 12, 2006 at 11:05 AM. )

voo
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Madrag

It was solved even with .4.3. Switch the machine off for 5 mins and pull the plug out the back for those 5 minutes then powerup and reset openfirmware.
Should be as good as .4.2 fan activity.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Theodour
After the update, my electric sheep screen-saver dropped from fluid motion to around 5 fps. Also, moving the safari window and minimizing to dock is very choppy.

This is a Dual 2 (2nd Gen), FX5200. Possibly an issue with the new nVidia Drivers maybe?

Anyone else see this?
False alarm.
A restart fixed it.
Move along.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by voo
It was solved even with .4.3. Switch the machine off for 5 mins and pull the plug out the back for those 5 minutes then powerup and reset openfirmware.
How do you reset the "OpenFirmware" ..does it automatically happen when unplugged for those 5 minutes?

chrisford
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 04:21 PM

After the update, my electric sheep screen-saver dropped from fluid motion to around 5 fps. Also, moving the safari window and minimizing to dock is very choppy. *snip*
Hi Theodour -

I seem to be having similar problems (Safari window dragging and minimising is choppy). This is on a 1gHz al-book which has a Nvidia 5200Go (I believe). Not a major problem, just chiming in!

c

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
How do you reset the "OpenFirmware" ..does it automatically happen when unplugged for those 5 minutes?
What you're talking about is resetting the PMU, and on mid-2004 to current G5s that is accomplished by simply pulling the plug for five minutes. Other Macs require that a specific button be pressed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
What you're talking about is resetting the PMU, and on mid-2004 to current G5s that is accomplished by simply pulling the plug for five minutes. Other Macs require that a specific button be pressed.
I have the first Dual 2.0 G5... how do I reset this one? Is there actually an official apple document online that talks about this?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2006, 04:46 PM

Here are instructions:

These instructions will tell you how to reset the PMU and nonvolatile RAM.

A must for every G5 owner to know before a problem occurs, like if you push the power button and nothing happens or fans operate erratically.

The PMU reset button is located on your logic board, on G5's it's below the front CPU fan assembly, under the memory slots.

Unplug the computers power cord and touch the metal case to ground yourself of static electricity.

Slide the front fan assembly straight out towards you.

Press the PMU reset button ONCE!!! Pressing twice could damage logic board and/or battery.

Replace the front CPU fan assembly and the plastic shield.

Wait 10 seconds and plug the power cord back in.

Press the power-on button.

To reset the NVRAM

Boot holding "option + apple + o + f" until you get a white screen with black text. Upon releasing the keys you are presented with a command prompt.

1. type "reset-nvram" at prompt and press return (will say OK if successful)
2. type "reset-all" at prompt and press return (you will see a quick flash of commands and screen will blank)

Upon completion of step 2 the machine will reboot.

Set your time and preferences in System Preferences.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 04:58 PM

Damage the battery and logic board? I don't think so.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by revmitcz
Has anyone else noticed that Safari either removed or had broken it's scroll-wheel functionality for overflow:auto divs?
Scrolling seems to suck, yes. Major PITA, as I'm working with web forms a lot currently. (vBulletin admin, incidentally, lol.) Scrolling in text areas stopped, perhaps they're inside auto overflows...

J

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 06:02 PM

On my slow 1.25 Mini, Spotlight returns results MUCH faster. It used to take about 5-7 seconds for it to pull up results after typing in the field, now it's less than a second.

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 06:03 PM

On my slow 1.25 Mini, Spotlight returns results MUCH faster. It used to take about 5-7 seconds for it to pull up results after typing in the field, now it's less than a second.

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast

GSixZero
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
Scrolling seems to suck, yes. Major PITA, as I'm working with web forms a lot currently. (vBulletin admin, incidentally, lol.) Scrolling in text areas stopped, perhaps they're inside auto overflows...

J

Yes, it's broke. Sucks for me, as I work with webforms a lot too.

Well this begins a three month wait for 10.4.5, hoping they re-fix this issue.

ImpulseResponse

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 06:04 PM

Sorry...multiple posts there. No clue what I did.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 06:05 PM

Is the fan issue on the G5s fixed again?

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dark3lf
Is the fan issue on the G5s fixed again?
I said in of of the first posts that it does NOT.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
I said in of of the first posts that it does NOT.
Well, but does it NOW ?

-t

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 11:18 AM

Damn, I'm not sure which update did it for me, but I assume it was 10.4.4

I also updated iTunes, Quicktime and a Security Update.

Anyhow, it has intermittenly slowed down my computer something horrible. My Dual 1.8 G5 should do better than this. It's doing better now, but it was horrible. Everytime I moved the mouse over the Dock, it would take a few seconds to respond. It seemed to be sluggish with every program, now it appears to be ok.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006, 11:20 AM

I've personally not noticed anything faster. Then again, my apple is nearing time to upgrade. Granted its a 1.2 ghz G4, but this is Apple, the next MS.

I've long since felt the "snappier" feel after an upgrade, even with clean installs.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by chrisford
Hi Theodour -

I seem to be having similar problems (Safari window dragging and minimising is choppy). This is on a 1gHz al-book which has a Nvidia 5200Go (I believe). Not a major problem, just chiming in!

c

Hey chrisford,
Did your problem go away after a restart?
I had also, immediately after the upgrade, installed the new free quicktime wmv drivers--which turn out to conflict with the newly released Quicktime 7.04.
Maybe that somehow messed up safari as well.
I've since uninstalled it and repaired permissions, and I've had no repeat of the jittery safari.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 01:39 PM

I thought OS X 10.4.4 and all the bundled apps were supposed to be Universal binaries?. Hardly any of the bundled applications (e.g. Address Book, Calculator, Mail, etc.) are listed as Universal. Most of them still saw PowerPC. What's up with that?

OAW

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
I thought OS X 10.4.4 and all the bundled apps were supposed to be Universal binaries?. Hardly any of the bundled applications (e.g. Address Book, Calculator, Mail, etc.) are listed as Universal. Most of them still saw PowerPC. What's up with that?

OAW
Very good question...hmm...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 03:24 PM

Hey chrisford,
I had also, immediately after the upgrade, installed the new free quicktime wmv drivers--which turn out to conflict with the newly released Quicktime 7.04.
Maybe that somehow messed up safari as well.
I've since uninstalled it and repaired permissions, and I've had no repeat of the jittery safari.
FYI, Flip4Mac has already released v2.0.1 to help remedy the QT v7.0.4 issues...

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 03:40 PM

Why would you want universal binaries on a PPC machine? Do you want your hard drive space to decrease for absolutely no reason?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Very good question...hmm...
Some people might say there aren't stupid questions...but that one was pretty dumb.

OAW: would you rather download 40MBs of changes or 600MBs worth of changes?

I may be exaggerating but adding the x86 binary for each OS X app would bump the upgrade download to ridiculous sizes...nobody would accept downloading 200MBs worth of binaries that will simply sit idle on their PPC computer.

Since Apple controls the whole package, they can easily pre-install universal binaries on the new Macs (or even just the x86 binary) and only let the PPC folks get the PPC binaries.

Where UB is important is 3rd party software...because these guys don't know if you're downloading the app onto a PPC Mac or an x86 Mac.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
If the 10.4.4 was to update all your apps to Universal Binaries, it would have been 3+GB large.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Some people might say there aren't stupid questions...but that one was pretty dumb.

I may be exaggerating but adding the x86 binary for each OS X app would bump the upgrade download to ridiculous sizes...nobody would accept downloading 200MBs worth of binaries that will simply sit idle on their PPC computer.

Since Apple controls the whole package, they can easily pre-install universal binaries on the new Macs (or even just the x86 binary) and only let the PPC folks get the PPC binaries.

Where UB is important is 3rd party software...because these guys don't know if you're downloading the app onto a PPC Mac or an x86 Mac.
I realize that. And I'm not saying that it makes a difference to me if there are UB or PPC on my machine. I was just wondering since Jobs specifically said all the bundled apps were UB in 10.4.4 ... and that clearly wasn't the case on my machine. It was even stranger since some of the apps are UB (e.g. QT, iTunes, etc.). It does make sense for Software Update to determine what kind of Mac you are using and send the PPC or the Intel binary as appropriate. Would definitely save on disk space.

OAW

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!

I don't think that Apple will release PPC and Intel updates instead of Universal updates, but in this case you already have a PPC only Mac OS X installed, and every binary on your system (thousands) would have to be updated if 10.4.4 should be universal on your machine.

Install 10.4.4 from a 10.4.4 install disc and you will have Universal Binaries on your PPC Mac.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 05:29 PM

my safari too has been ker-spluggered by the updates - its nearly as bad as firefox now! did install the new flp4mac, now trying the v2.01

chrisford
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 06:16 PM

Hey chrisford,
I had also, immediately after the upgrade, installed the new free quicktime wmv drivers *snip*
Hi Theodour -

I've just tried a restart - Safari still seems a little more sluggish when moving windows, but it's marginal and not any real problem, I don't think. Thanks for the advice tho'.

As an aside - great link on the Quicktime WMV drivers - I've had a hatred of Windows Media Player since I've been using MacOSX; I'm looking forward to deleting that app!

c

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 07:07 PM

Since I upgraded I have found WordService no longer works for me. It tries to do a word count and flashes up briefly but the window goes blank before I can read it.

Anyone else found this or is it just me?

This service saves me in Pages. Without it I can't count a selection. Help!!

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 10:27 PM

No problems here with 10.4.4 running fine...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 03:48 AM

10.4.4 has been working just fine on my 1.67GHz PowerBook.

Actually it's fixed a rather annoying bug. When I pressed the volume keys on my keyboard (on the internal but also on an external Apple USB keyboard and Apple BT keyboard) there used to be a huge delay (1-2sec) before I heard any sound and got to see the volume indicator on the screen. That delay is now gone. Volume changes are acknowledged immediately.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by voo
I'll try that, thanks for the tip!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
10.4.4 has been working just fine on my 1.67GHz PowerBook.

Actually it's fixed a rather annoying bug. When I pressed the volume keys on my keyboard (on the internal but also on an external Apple USB keyboard and Apple BT keyboard) there used to be a huge delay (1-2sec) before I heard any sound and got to see the volume indicator on the screen. That delay is now gone. Volume changes are acknowledged immediately.
Seems to be fixed on my iBook too. What an annoying bug!

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy
Since I upgraded I have found WordService no longer works for me. It tries to do a word count and flashes up briefly but the window goes blank before I can read it.

Anyone else found this or is it just me?

This service saves me in Pages. Without it I can't count a selection. Help!!
Word service seems to be working OK here, although I can't find the "word count" that you speak of ... Does your "statistics" service work?

Also, I think it updated recently ... do you have the latest version?

microsoftee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 06:50 PM

I have iMac Power PC G4, 700 Mhz, 128 MB RAM, CDRW and OS X 10.3 (Panther) running.

It boots up successfully from CD1 but after few minutes of acticity it just hangs up and only blue screen appears, there is no mouse pointer and nothing else, I waited for long time.

Someone suggested to upgrade firmware. I tried searching firmware upgrade on apple site, but didn't find any for my machine.

I also tried the trick by directly running file "OSInstall.mpkg" in "System\Installation\Packages" in CD1, it starts setup but after few seconds it gives the error "BaseSystem cannot be installed on this computer." "This software cannot be installed on this computer"

Please help me to get out of this problem.

I am very thankful to u

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2006, 08:29 PM

Updated my Mac mini and my iBook Dual USB 500 MHz. No problems.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules