Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need program to convert mov to wmv

Need program to convert mov to wmv
Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 12:25 PM

I'm looking for a program that will convert mov to wmv files. I bought Quicktime Pro, but it chokes on even small files when converting. I've since read other reviews or QTPro that say the same thing, so I'm assuming it's not just me.

Is there a shareware program out there that will do this? I've searched versiontracker, but didn't come up with anything.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 01:49 PM

QT Amateur

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded QT Amateur and tried converting two different movies, but it does the same thing as QT Pro -- it only converts half of the movie. When played back, only half of the movie is there, and then it ends. Maybe this is a problem with my Mac? I thought not since I read online of someone else having the same problem.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 06:33 PM

If it only converts half of the movie then that is because you did not pay for Flip4Mac. In demo mode Flip4Mac only exports half the movie (up to 30 seconds).

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 08:03 PM

OK, thanks a lot. I didn't even know that Flip 4 Mac was part of the equation here, but I do have it installed. This also explains why I couldn't see any option for exporting to wmv using QT Pro on my computer at work -- I don't have F4M installed on that computer. This clears a lot of things up!

Now the only thing I'm wondering is if it's worth the extra $49 for F4M just to convert movies to wmv. I just want to post movies that Windows users can view without having to install Quicktime.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 10:02 PM

There's always MPEG-1. FFmpegX will let you encode those.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dave N View Post
I just want to post movies that Windows users can view without having to install Quicktime.
All good Windows users have Quicktime installed. It is installed with iTunes. Besides, I don't think asking them to install Quicktime is too troublesome.

Chris

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 10:49 PM

I would just use MPEG-4 H.264 and let Windows users install whatever they want to view it. It's the best standards based codec that is available.

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2006, 12:04 AM

I wanted to keep this simple for the people on the other end so they wouldn't have to install anything. Most people I've sent mov files to have QT installed or installed it to see what I sent, but I hate to include the "you may need to install Quicktime....go to apple.com/quicktime" line in every email. I feel like an advertisement. I'm not paying another $49 for Flip4Mac though, just so people don't have to install QT.

NEMMRRC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 02:14 PM

YouTube
Jaime

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 04:16 PM

Do WMP 10 or 11 play MPEG-4 H.264 videos? I'm too lazy to restart at the moment, and all I have in VMWare is Win2K (WMP 9).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Theodour
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2006, 06:56 PM

VLC lets you export as an ".asf".

I don't know if that is quite the same thing, though.

wake266
Dec 29, 2006, 03:54 PM

maybe try Isquint, but im not sure it it will convert into wmv

Forum Links
Forum Rules