Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Flash video on 466MHz G3?

Flash video on 466MHz G3?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2007, 05:30 PM

I cannot play flash video (youtube or any other service) on my iBook. It's got a 466Mhz logic board in it with the 8MB ATI chip. Is this just a limitation of how old my machine is, or is there a setting somewhere I'm not aware of that would allow me to watch YouTube movies without dropping frames every second?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 09:53 PM

Nope, just too slow. What browser are you using?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 09:53 PM

What kind of an error do you get when you go to a flash video page? Just no video at all?

Just as a side note, my PowerBook G4 1Ghz, 64mb ATI is about as slow as I would want to use to play flash video. Something about Flash on a Mac is just really slow. My system jumps to 100% CPU usage when watching a Youtube video, and I get about half the framerate on flash games that I do on a comparable PC.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2007, 09:36 AM

on my 400 MHz G3 powerbook, utube etc videos "play" but only about 1 frame per second. Sound is choppy too. I assume that's what the OP is talking about.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 02:23 PM

Between the age of your machine and the horrible flash performance on OS X, it's going to be a slideshow if it plays at all.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2007, 03:26 PM

I have a couple Bondi blue iMac 233s ... I get similarly bad framerates for flash video using 10.3.9 and the latest patches.

I'm just amazed that, besides slow flash and its lack OpenGL support, it pretty much does everything else an office machine needs to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules