Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How should I stack my mini, minimax, and AE?

How should I stack my mini, minimax, and AE?
Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2009, 11:57 AM

Having just bought a Iomega minimax for extra storage, how should I now stack my set up?

I assume I should go from top to bottom, mac mini, Iomega Minimax hdd, then Airport Extreme?

My setup is upstairs, so this will keep things from overheating and give me the best coverage downstairs as well, correct?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Uisce

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2009, 02:54 PM

In my video's setup, I put the hottest item on top, and separate the units vertically with oblong pencil rubbers, sharpied black on front edge.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2009, 07:00 PM

I stack my Time Capsule on top of my old Mini, using some generic plastic stick on spacers that I had used in the past to place my missing G4 Powerbook feet.

No cooling issues for far with a 3-4mm gap the spacers provide.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2009, 07:01 PM

I have the mini on top of the minimax. Been like that for months with no issues.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2009, 03:14 AM

I have an AP Extreme on top of a Mac mini. No extra nonsense: no spacers, no fans. Both devices run fine.

Uisce  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks,

I ended up putting my AE between the two, mini on top. The minimax is designed to direct heat down, and the AE got very toasty on the bottom.
( Last edited by Uisce; Aug 19, 2009 at 11:57 AM. )

Uisce

Gregg
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2009, 09:27 AM

Bringing this back up because I answered a similar question elsewhere...

The booklet that came with my Mini makes note of the fact that the top of the enclosure is in fact the AirPort antenna. On page 21, it gives the following advice:
"To avoid interference, keep the area around the AirPort antenna free from obstruction."

So is Apple just blowing smoke, or is that an issue?

One other note...
For the first 16-18 months I had it, I placed it on top of my modem/router. That device was toasted. After replacing it, I noticed the extreme heat generated by the Mini transferring to the top of the modem/router. I now have the Mini on top of a hot pad sitting on the desk. The hot pad was added after I noticed the heat was drying out the wood!
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2009, 11:25 AM

I would be worried about the Mac mini heating up things on top too much (in my case it doesn't really).

But what I wouldn't care about is its wifi antenna. If you have an AP Extreme below or on top of your mini you might as well connect the Mac mini through Ethernet to the AP Extreme and shut off wifi on the Mac mini.

OTOH if the Mac mini is far away from the router and you need wifi on the Mac mini you should follow Apple's advice. Putting a big sheet of metal on the top of the mini for example will definitely have a bad influence on its wifi performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules