Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tried to open Powerbook G4 Al -hmm

Tried to open Powerbook G4 Al -hmm
pete
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hmm...I have to wonder why Apple made these powerbooks so difficult to open up. It must be a real pain to be tech person with these things. I tried, must have removed about 15 screws of varying sizes and kinds, and then got to the part where you have to release three or four hidden latches inside the DVD slot - that's where I gave up. I was to scared to continue given that I really didn't know what it should feel like and poking around in the slot with a tool seemed too risky for me. Anyway....looks like I'm going to have to pay for somebody to upgrade my hard drive. This is the first time.

Still loving my machine - will never get used to the ports on the sides though. Things are always in the way when I want to lift the machine...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2004, 01:46 PM

Maybe the service manual will help:

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 01:54 PM

thanks. I had that in front of me but got scared when I had to poke a screwdriver in the cd slot....

ibook_steve
Apr 23, 2004, 02:37 PM

Which one are you talking about? Your sig doesn't indicate.

Steve

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 02:50 PM

Opening an AlPB is a good way to void your �pplecare. Many people think their tech skills are good enough that an Apple Tech can't tell that it's been opened, but really? Anyway, risking voiding your Applecare to save the $80 that it costs an ASP to put in an HD is just not a good idea.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 03:05 PM

Well, that's the conclusion I came to too when I started digging in. It simply isn't worth it. I've opened almost all powerbooks since the 540c and they've been relatively easy. The titanium was frustrating but not difficult. This one seems both frustrating and difficult and definitely not worth risking damage. You're right, it's worth paying an expert.

BTW, my machine is a 15 inch aluminum

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 03:06 PM

my friend tried to replace a 17" 1 GHz HD, put it back together, and it would not boot. then he really panicked. he found a wire he forgot to attach, reattached it and it worked. be very careful when opening your case
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 03:31 PM

When I sent my PowerBook off for repair, and when I received it back, one of the Apple Techs screwed up when they put the Top Case back on, so there was a nasty gap in the front. Instead of sending it off for another few days, I figured what the hell. I have always taken apart electronics, built my own computer, etc... so I decided to download the service manual and do it myself. Truthfully, it was one of the easiest things I had ever done. If you follow the service manual step by step, you should have no problems. One of the things I wish to do in the future if possible is change my 2x Superdrive for the new 4x Superdrive. Instead of paying a disgusting amount to have a "qualified" tech do it, I will do it myself, with the understanding that Apple will not cover any damage that results in Superdrive damage, or something stemming from it. Although I do plan on getting safeware soon, so that takes care of accidental damage.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 04:00 PM

Krazikid, I bailed out when I got to poking things in the DVD drive. I simply didn't know what to look for in there and what the latches looked like and so I was afraid to pull on anything. Any advice? What tools did you use?

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by pete:
Krazikid, I bailed out when I got to poking things in the DVD drive. I simply didn't know what to look for in there and what the latches looked like and so I was afraid to pull on anything. Any advice? What tools did you use?
What the hell are you poking at inside of the Superdrive? Once you remove the top case, All you have to do is remove the Flex cable, and then the four screws, and should come right out. I have no idea what "Hidden latches" you are talking about. The only tools I used was a size 0, and 1 Phillips, and a Torx T8.

EDIT: Hrmm, now that I look at the 15 Inch Service manual, it seems as if there are some slight differences between how the Superdrive is installed in each. My recommendation is to follow the instructions to a "t" and you should be fine.
( Last edited by KraziKid; Apr 23, 2004 at 06:10 PM. )
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules