Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > new to apple/dsl re:security

new to apple/dsl re:security
b.trovato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 04:33 PM

in my access & download log am seeing numerous apache entries. i don't think they were there before (after accidentally downloading but not installing drivecleaner...) how to delete? do i even need to? i am unclear what steps i need to take to avoid within reason being hacked etc. i get it that norton isn't the answer (all the protection my sevice provider offers is for pc). sorry to be so basic but thats where i am...

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 05:55 PM

What log are you seeing this in? I don't really understand what you mean.

By default, all services in OS X are turned off in the Sharing preferences, so it's unlikely that your machine would be open to attack. If you turned one of these on you might see something in a log file... I think Apache is used for one or more of them (Personal Web Sharing?).

If you're connected directly to your DSL modem, it would not be a bad idea to turn on OS X's built-in firewall. Aside from that, be careful when using the internet, use common sense, don't open questionable files, etc., and you should have no worries.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2006, 02:38 PM

Make sure OS X's firewall is turned on and any services you don't need (file sharing, etc) are turned off. And make sure to enable the "stealth" mode for the firewall as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2006, 04:04 PM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums. Your question really belongs in the Networking forum, not the OS forum, so I'll move it there.

And Cadaver is right-turn ON the OS X firewall NOW. I personally like to have both a software firewall and a gateway router between my comptuer(s) and the modem just because this provides two layers of defense against the big, bad outside world. It never hurts to have more protection than you need-remember that the next time you're going to be outside in the sun all day.

As for "being hacked," it's not likely. OS X is not only very robust and stable (so it's not very vulnerable), a majority of the bad guys are "script kiddies" who use tools to build viruses and worms they don't understand-and they're not interested in an OS that they know nothing about, so they don't mess with MacOS, at least not much.

Stay behind a router and a software firewall (with all the ports stealthed), and you're as safe as you can get online with a Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

b.trovato  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 05:20 PM

thanks for the advice & sorry for wrong posting. i realized too late it was not in the correct area...i have turned on firewall plus stealth. is there anything in particular that is important to know about what makes one router better than the other? previous to this have thought of security in a kind of vague get to it later way & since i don't think i actually understand what is possible am unclear on what is really protecting and what is money and just waste of time worry...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2006, 06:15 PM

Consumer routers are a comodity item anymore-especially wired routers. Buy by price and features and you won't go too wrong.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules