Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What should I do?

What should I do?
dwd3885
Dec 13, 2005, 01:08 PM

I've been looking to buy the Power Mac G5 the past few weeks. I haven't decided what I should do. The $1799 price with edu discount is on the expensive side, but I just might be able to swing it if you guys can justify that the extra $250 from the refurbished PM Dual 2GHZ at $1549 is a raw deal. It is the crippled version, with only 4 slots of RAM and PCI. I am a student. I love technology. I love being able to do things fast, etc. I'm not really a huge photo, video guy, but I do some of it. But by no means am I a professional. So that's the question really. Is the $250 price difference worth it? Dual core, more RAM, pci-express, pci-x, better GPU, faster RAM, quieter, more efficient, less power requirements!! Is all that worth the $250 for a guy like me in your opinion? I do upgrade computers a lot, but I am just switching to the Mac, so I don't think I'll have the same habits of that since I can't really upgrade logic boards, cpu's, etc. So I want to have this computer for a long time. Then if I got a Dual Core, I could just switch over the DDR2 RAM if I felt like it when I upgrade to the Intel Mac (which I don't plan on doing anytime soon) Like I said, I'd like to have this PC for at least 2-3 years. I am going to be going into Educational Technology field and I am a junior in college right now. I got the rest of this year, my senior year and a year of grad school to look forward to. I do Advanced Audio production as well. I know this is a long, rambling, but any advice would help a lot. I am also waiting for my Apple Credit line card to come, which should be tomorrow, so I have a day or two to decide. Thanks for all your help!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2005, 01:47 PM

I'd spend the $250 just to not have it be a refurb. The improved performance of the PCIe version and the extra RAM slots are icing on the cake.

tooki

JCT
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 01:53 PM

I agree with tooki.

The non-refurb machine should easily last you 4-5 years, so a $250 investment spread out over that time frame is not so bad. And having the most recent hardware when you are buying for the long term is a good deal.

Enjoy your machine,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dwd3885
I've been looking to buy the Power Mac G5 the past few weeks. I haven't decided what I should do. The $1799 price with edu discount is on the expensive side, but I just might be able to swing it if you guys can justify that the extra $250 from the refurbished PM Dual 2GHZ at $1549 is a raw deal. It is the crippled version, with only 4 slots of RAM and PCI. I am a student. I love technology. I love being able to do things fast, etc. I'm not really a huge photo, video guy, but I do some of it. But by no means am I a professional. So that's the question really. Is the $250 price difference worth it? Dual core, more RAM, pci-express, pci-x, better GPU, faster RAM, quieter, more efficient, less power requirements!! Is all that worth the $250 for a guy like me in your opinion?
Two things: The new models do not have PCI-X, only PCIe. The GPU isn't really any better; "6600LE" is a fancy name for 6200, which slower than the 9600Pro in most benchmarks.

That said, I'll echo the first two posters and say go for the new one.

Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 10:56 PM

Not a huge fan of the refurb option myself. Get the new one bud, I'm loving mine!

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2005, 12:32 AM

I agree. $250 is not that big of a price difference. I would go for the new one.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

dwd3885  (op)
Dec 14, 2005, 12:53 AM

Now what about the refurbed iMacs? I know I don't mention them, but they could save me a ton of money. I could sell my Dell 2005FPW monitor and get about $350 for it. Meaning the 20-inch iMac G5 2ghz with 512 RAM, 250 gb HD and ATI 9600 128MB with super drive would be about $1000 after selling my monitor on apple's refurb site. Seems like a great deal, a savings of nearly 900 dollars. But can I do what I want to do on it? Is it worth the huge performance hit? Or is there a huge performance hit between models? I had a dual 2ghz G5 in September, ran great for what I wanted to do, almost too much, since I don't render videos everyday, but i do multitask a lot.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 01:21 AM

Multitasking will take a hit from the cut in CPUs, definetly.
Linkinus is king.

dwd3885  (op)
Dec 14, 2005, 10:29 AM

So the ongoing sage has finally come to a conclusion. At 8:23 AM CT this morning, just a few minutes ago, I did it. I ordered my Power Mac. I ordered teh rev. B Dual 2ghz with 160gb hard drive, 512 RAM, Geforce 5200, super drive, pci-x, 8 ram slots for just $1449.

That should last me for a while. Maybe not as long as the dual cores, but this saves me more than $350! And with what I do, even thinking the iMac might suit me, I think this will last a while. It's $200 cheaper than when I first looked at them in september, and it's a way better deal than anything i can find on ebay. So when it comes, i'll try to find some more RAM if I need to and maybe up the graphics card, but it's all good from this end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules