Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A new powerbook owner

A new powerbook owner
tombourne182
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 10:09 AM

Hi. Have scanned this forum and just thought I'd post about my experience with my new Powerbook 17". It rocks. I have come from an old iBook G3 and use a G5 at work. All I can say is that I'm very impressed with this machine. Obviously there are many that have problems with their PB and for them I can only say how disappointed I'd have been if I'd spent nearly £2,000 on a laptop only to have problems with it. Luckily for me, mine has been perfect and I couldn't ask for more for my money. Okay I haven't driven it hard yet, but the performance, looks and display are all first class. I could have waited for the new Intel powerbook, but why wait for something that you want now!

I guess there are duds everywhere, if you build loads you're always going to get problems with some, but we could all be using PCs!

JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 11:31 AM

Enjoy your new machine!

I've had my 17" PB for 18 months and it has been one of the best computers I have ever owned (PC or Mac). I am in the process of switching from a desktop PC to a G5 at work and used the PB to "bridge the gap" -- I was amazed at how comfortable I was using it as my desktop.

The only downside to the machine is that it is a bit non-trivial to haul about, but within minutes of using it (buried in the library stacks, for example) , I am thrilled that I made the extra effort.

I will enjoy watching the new Intel Macs from the sidelines for the first few revs, I figure that by the time my 17" gives up the Intel Macs will be a great replacement.

Good luck and congrats,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 11:56 AM

JT What kind of work do you do that you use a 2.5 quad with 7 gigs of ram? You must do a lot of graphic work or media work.
iStink (with my Mac)

JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 12:48 PM

Hey wayfarer,

Mostly tons of graphic work with very large input files (high res scientific images) -- the main reason I pack my machines is that I am never doing just one thing at a time -- usually a simulation and or a render chugging along in the background as well. I actually haven't had a chance to really tax the Quad yet, looking forward to trying.

One of the main reasons I moved to the Mac was the excellent multitasking.

regards,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 05:28 PM

not to spoil your parade, but put your new 17" hi-res to sleep via the apple pull down menu with the lid open. make sure bluetooth is on.

does your screen flicker on the right hand side?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 07:46 PM

Congratulations on your new PowerBook! The 17 inch is the best 'Book ever made I think and definetly the hottest laptop around.

tombourne182  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by BENJMNS
not to spoil your parade, but put your new 17" hi-res to sleep via the apple pull down menu with the lid open. make sure bluetooth is on.

does your screen flicker on the right hand side?
No flicker for me. Although I did notice that the 'lid' sits wonky when closed. Oh well, can't have it all!

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by tombourne182
No flicker for me. Although I did notice that the 'lid' sits wonky when closed. Oh well, can't have it all!
bet you it does. when did you check it? where did you check it?

toneloco28
Jan 9, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by BENJMNS
bet you it does. when did you check it? where did you check it?
Let the man have his peace. I know misery loves company but damn!!

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by toneloco28
Let the man have his peace. I know misery loves company but damn!!
my bad man.

the whole utopian perfection tone just made me laugh

hardly any perfection in these powerbooks for us anal fockers

tombourne182  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 07:24 PM

Guess I'm easily pleased... and I have checked and checked but still no flicker am I missing out on some great Powerbook hidden extra? And my lid has cured itself - sits flush... must have been showing its character. Am I not allowed to be happy with my new toy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules