Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A quick update on my auto submitting issue

A quick update on my auto submitting issue
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 09:13 PM

Mods dont delete just yet.I didnt think my other one would be deleted.

I dont have an NDA or work with computers.This copy of tiger was a free copy i was given at david jones(apple reseller) it came with the original apple tiger cd and an iwork trial.IT WASNT boxed it was in a sleeve like when you buy your mac.why would a commercial version have this turned on?
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Ganesha
Senior User
May 12, 2006, 09:26 PM

Type the following into terminal to turn it off:

defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO

If you are not using internal Apple software, then you most likely installed something that installed 'Smart Crash Reports', which turned auto-reporting on.

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 05:24 PM

I'm glad you created another thread, I was wondering wheter to open one in the Feedback forum or not. Please, we know better than that, don't we? In all cases, the presumption of innocence should always prevail. If there's a single doubt, only the shadow of a doubt that something is legit, then we should not consider it to be illegal.

I was about to post that maybe, maybe there was a bug or something, or the XML may have become corrupted. As a matter of fact, the suggestion to issue a "defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO" command proves that it could have been changed to YES by accident or a malfunction. And as it turned out to be, he obtained this software legally. Please, think about this before declaring someone guilty unless you have rock-solid proof and that no doubt subsists!

At least let the poster explains his situation before closing!

Beside, even if we have the impression that something is not 100% clean, couldn't we "look the other way" from time to time? No need to play The police and to be more catholic than the Pope...

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
I'm glad you created another thread, I was wondering wheter to open one in the Feedback forum or not. Please, we know better than that, don't we? In all cases, the presumption of innocence should always prevail. If there's a single doubt, only the shadow of a doubt that something is legit, then we should not consider it to be illegal.

I was about to post that maybe, maybe there was a bug or something, or the XML may have become corrupted. As a matter of fact, the suggestion to issue a "defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO" command proves that it could have been changed to YES by accident or a malfunction. And as it turned out to be, he obtained this software legally. Please, think about this before declaring someone guilty unless you have rock-solid proof and that no doubt subsists!

At least let the poster explains his situation before closing!

Beside, even if we have the impression that something is not 100% clean, couldn't we "look the other way" from time to time? No need to play The police and to be more catholic than the Pope...

Thanks for the reply mate.I should have stated in the first thread that i had recieved a free copy.In the past when doing something in the terminal such as com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO required me to submit my password and now its not asking for it.It now says -bash: ndefaults: command not found when i type in that command.

I will contact apple tech support tommorow for further guidance and keep you posted because looking at the console it keeps happening.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
…It now says -bash: ndefaults: command not found when i type in that command.

I will contact apple tech support tommorow for further guidance and keep you posted because looking at the console it keeps happening.
Was that just a typo in your post? The command is defaults, not ndefaults.

Forum Links
Forum Rules