Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wealth can be depressing

Wealth can be depressing
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 06:46 PM

We're just driving home from a trip to Arizona and California, and along the way we checked out Beverley Hills among a gazillion other things. The whole Beverley Hills experience got me thinking...

With financial wealth comes an amazing opportunity to make a lasting difference on stuff. I've always liked a quote from Steve Jobs I heard/read in an interview of his where he said that there is "no prize for being the richest guy in the graveyard". We all care about one thing or another, right? Well, what could be more fulfilling than doing the sorts of things that Gates, Carter, Clinton, or the like are doing now, or otherwise putting your own personal touch on doing something really cool that is dear to your heart and is connected with your passions?

Before this thread gets sent to the PWL, let me be clear that I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with wealth in general, that it needs to be shared, some donated to charity, etc. - I'm not taking any real stand here, I'm not asserting that there is a wrong or a right here. For some people like a Steve Jobs, they are impacting the world with their work and the source of their wealth. I get that, and I can get others that feel that what they are doing does the same. However, while I obviously don't how often this is the case, I'm willing to assume that a certain percentage of those Beverly Hills type people and the like are just wrapped up in building themselves a cool sanctuary and play place and keeping up with the Jones'. That's cool too, but when that person is deceased these sorts of toys lay at the feet of the inheritors, if there are any, and sometimes this cycle is renewed in the process (although I'm not against inheritance either).

The depressing part of this is simply the potential of that money, whether it is disease research, building a museum, creating your own charity, building stuff, whatever. It is also a little depressing that some people feel like they need to keep up with the Jones' and do the whole build-the-biggest-castle thing. I realize that there is already a ton of charity donating and stuff among the upper class, although I'm sure that at least some of this is simply money dumping into a generic charity for the purposes of being pushed to a lower tax bracket. This is also cool, but haven't you ever thought about doing something closer to the heart, something that is related to your passions in life? For those that don't have any, that is depressing too.

All I'm saying in a very roundabout way is that it is exciting and cool what sorts of things can be accomplished with wealth that really make a difference, for those inclined to do so.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2011, 06:55 PM

If that's how you feel, all I can say is that it's a good thing you didn't stop in Vegas.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2011, 11:58 PM

Well, Steve isn't exactly known for his philanthropy.

P.S. I don't buy this idea of necessarily having to roll up your sleeves at the local soup kitchen, etc. Furthermore, the whole "donating to get into a lower tax bracket" doesn't really make any sense. If they didn't donate, they'd still have a lot more money. Once they donate, most of the money they donated is lost to them. So it's not as if there is any financial gain to be had by donating those funds.

Sealobo
Mar 26, 2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
... the whole "donating to get into a lower tax bracket" doesn't really make any sense. If they didn't donate, they'd still have a lot more money. Once they donate, most of the money they donated is lost to them. So it's not as if there is any financial gain to be had by donating those funds.
In politics, one can buy political influence by donations. Charity is mostly political in the background.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2011, 06:42 AM

I like what Buffet, Gates and other very wealthy people are doing with their donate 50% of your wealth on your death thing. What I don't understand is how these people get to the billions that they get. I'd just stop working after accumulating say 10 million ($/€/£ whatever) and just not work for the rest of my life.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2011, 08:05 AM

the process of making money is addicting, why stop with what you are good at
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I like what Buffet, Gates and other very wealthy people are doing with their donate 50% of your wealth on your death thing.
The guilt pledge?

Meh.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 10:35 AM

Bessie, I think that you are vastly underestimating the value of people like Steve Jobs' work to the world.

hint, it's far greater than: "Well golly gee whiz that's kinda cool and all but…"
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 10:47 AM

Another way of looking at things... The wealthy may not be happy, but then again the poor may not be happy either.

However, if you don't have to worry if you can pay your rent next month, it's probably easier to be happy. You don't have to be rich to be financially stable, but that lack of money is often the source of stress in one's life.

Furthermore, I would personally want enough wealth so that if I were to have kids, I would not be struggling hard to put them through school. I don't need to live in a 15000 sq. foot mansion on a 5 acre lot, but I want to live in a decent sized house in a nice neighbourhood, and have enough extra money so that I could pay for a university education for my kids without having to mortgage the house to do it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
In politics, one can buy political influence by donations. Charity is mostly political in the background.
That largely depends on the individual. Some of mine is political; FOP, VFW, Fisher House, local Firefighters' fund, Greenpeace (bleh). Most of it isn't, however.

Edit: Not really sure if I'd be categorized as "wealthy", especially if you're looking at people like Gates, Jobs, Buffet, etc., but I'm pretty damned happy.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Mar 28, 2011, 12:05 PM

I'd be willing to risk being wealthy.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 01:25 PM

Wealth might not buy you happiness, but it'll buy you a yacht on which you can pretend.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2011, 01:37 PM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 03:21 PM

**** you Lam, I just wasted an hour of my life watching Daniel Tosh.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 03:47 PM

Wealth might not buy you happiness…
Yeah, people with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wealth might not buy you happiness, but it'll buy you a yacht on which you can pretend.
Or not.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2011, 04:19 PM

Pick one:

A) Sit on the back of that stationary yacht.
B) Sit in a three-bed terraced in Wigan.

Yep. Thought so.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
**** you Lam, I just wasted an hour of my life watching Daniel Tosh.
My face hurt from so much laughing after watching Completely Serious. Happy Thoughts is in my Netflix queue but is listed as "very long wait."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My face hurt from so much laughing after watching Completely Serious.
Never heard of this guy before, had me in stitches.

Nice to see that comics are allowed to be polically uncorrect now. So boring when you can't insult anybody.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2011, 07:17 AM

Yes yes…money can't buy "happiness".

Money buys freedom and a lot of peace of mind…and joy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2011, 07:46 AM

It also buys `round-the-clock telemarketers, I've gotten calls from those idiots from 11pm-7am. Doesn't really matter how well hidden your numbers are or whether you're on the "do not call list".
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2011, 09:31 AM

It also buys `round-the-clock telemarketers, I've gotten calls from those idiots from 11pm-7am. Doesn't really matter how well hidden your numbers are or whether you're on the "do not call list".
trueCall - your nuisance call blocker

Best hundred quid I ever spent - no telemarketing calls since installing it, and completely transparent to friends and family. Must be something like it for US telephone systems?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2011, 12:30 PM

You must not be that rich then Shaddim. Rich people have PAs/Butlers/Managers to take phone calls.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2011, 12:40 PM

You must not be that rich then Shaddim. Rich people have PAs/Butlers/Managers to take phone calls.
We have a housekeeper but she's not a live-in and only comes in to clean, do laundry, etc..

Best hundred quid I ever spent - no telemarketing calls since installing it, and completely transparent to friends and family. Must be something like it for US telephone systems?
I'll check on something like that.
- Thomas Paine

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2011, 01:07 PM

Yes yes…money can't buy "happiness".

Money buys freedom and a lot of peace of mind…and joy.
Mine was sarcasm.

hayesk
Mar 29, 2011, 10:04 PM

In the UK, caller ID comes before the first ring, so they can block the call before it rings. Everywhere else in the world, caller ID comes after the first ring. So you can do it, but it won't be completely transparent. I use this:
PhoneValet Message Center
It blocks telemarketers, but after the first ring. It's more expensive, but it logs and records all calls, takes voicemail, and emails my voice mail to me.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2011, 06:57 AM

My phones show caller ID after the 2nd ring. My TV (connected to the phone line through the satellite box) shows it with the first ring. But the phone still rings before I know who's calling.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2011, 07:24 AM

We have a housekeeper but she's not a live-in and only comes in to clean, do laundry, etc..
When I was younger, we got to live in some different countries. My dad was/is an 'oil-man' and we got to live in South East Asia and Egypt for a while. The oil companies (at that time) had to pay a certain amount of the expats' salary in local currency, and in places like Egypt you couldn't change it for US dollars or Pounds sterling (well not officially) so you had to spend it. Since you had the company car or cars, you had your house or flat paid for, most expats also had servants. I spent the first 10 years of my life thinking that it was normal to have servants. We had cooks, gardeners, housemaids, chauffeurs etc.

When we moved to the UK, I was really disappointed that my mother didn't keep up the tradition of handing me the buttered crusts when I got home from school from the freshly made bread that our cook used to bake. I can also remember the argument that my mother and father had when my dad commented on my mother's ironing skills comparing them to an ex-housemaid's. A historic event for several reasons.

Wonder if life is as good for expats nowadays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules