Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Justin Bieber vs. PM Netanyahu - Diplomatic tiff

Justin Bieber vs. PM Netanyahu - Diplomatic tiff
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 11:04 PM

Netanyahu cancels Bieber date over refusal to meet kids affected by Gaza rockets - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has canceled his date with pop sensation Justin Bieber over the singer's refusal to meet with children living in communities affected by Gaza rocket fire, Channel Two reported on Tuesday.

The prime minister was scheduled to host the young singer at his office in Jerusalem on Wednesday evening, before Bieber's Thursday night concert.

Taking advantage of the PR opportunity presented by the meeting with Bieber, Netanyahu's advisers invited a group of children from communities near the Gaza border to attend.

The children had disembarked from a school bus just before it was hit by a Hamas rocket last Thursday, critically wounded a teen and moderately wounding the bus driver.

Bieber reportedly refused to meet the children, which led Netanyahu to cancel the meeting.

It's terrible that happened to the the kids, but nonetheless it would seem that Bieber's handlers are smarter than Netanyahu's are. The Prime Minister comes out of this looking like a tool, because of a manufactured teen pop idol no less.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 11:39 PM

It's Bieber, he just didn't want to see anyone with sores and broken bones, it scared him.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 01:37 AM

Netanyahu is a freaking idiot. Trying to use a 17 year old in a game of politics and world sympathy when his country is a runner up behind only a few other countries to be guilty of the worst atrocities against human kind since Nazi Germany. Thumbs up for Bieber, he just scored a big point with me.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 02:11 AM

Netanyahu probably just would like Israel to retain the sanity of pre-teen Israeli girls.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
... his country is a runner up behind only a few other countries to be guilty of the worst atrocities against human kind since Nazi Germany.
Congrats, you win the award for ludicrous hyperbole!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Congrats, you win the award for ludicrous hyperbole!
Its not a hyperbole, its sad fact.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 03:34 AM

It's a sad lie believed by those who haven't been there and seen the truth for themselves.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 03:39 AM

Amazing. I think you've won the official MacNN Biggest Jew-hater of All Time prize with two short posts. Congratulations. That's some accomplishment because there have been a lot of Jew-haters and Israel-bashers around here. Yet even the most rabid anti-Israel members seldom come close to what you've posted here. And it should tell you something when your statement is denounced by another member, lpk, who heretofore could not have been described as all that pro-Israel himself, at least not to my knowledge. A very strange turn of affairs given your cordial PM history with me on subjects including Jews and Israel.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 13, 2011 at 03:52 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 03:49 AM

Not a Jew hater, don't have a problem with Jewish people. Just don't like the Country of Israel. The country. Not the faith, not the people the Country. How is it that gets mistaken? Its like saying you hate Iran equates hating all Muslims. Give it a rest. The Country of Israel has committed as many war crimes and crimes against humans as a few others. They get away with it because the US needs a solid ally in the Middle East. Its as simple as that.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 04:02 AM

I'll try and use a analogy to better describe how I feel about the "COUNTRY" of Israel. Its like the kids who left home to come back 40 years later and takes over the home and locks the parents in a small room providing just enough food and water to survive. Further more the parents, old and feeble try to fight back by tossing marbles at the kids only to be beating back down to a inch of there lives with bats. Totally wrong from the beginning and worst totally un-proportional response. Does that clarify?

Tell me those that are Jewish who disagree with the Country of Israel for the crimes they have committed, are they Anti Jewish too? Or is hating Israel the state only a reserved right of Jewish people?

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's a sad lie believed by those who haven't been there and seen the truth for themselves.
What truth do you speak of?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 04:48 AM

What truth do you speak of?
That the vast majority of Palestinians are nothing more than terrorists, or sympathizers, who delight in the destruction of any Jews, even children. Since you haven't seen it, you can't understand it. It's part of their identity as a people, and it can't be negotiated away. You may think you've seen racism before you've met these people, and then afterwards you realize that you were grossly mistaken.
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 08:55 AM

Netanyahu is a freaking idiot. Trying to use a 17 year old in a game of politics and world sympathy when his country is a runner up behind only a few other countries to be guilty of the worst atrocities against human kind since Nazi Germany. Thumbs up for Bieber, he just scored a big point with me.
Foot, meet mouth.

First post and already Godwin overload. Congrats, I guess.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 09:49 AM

Epic thread in under 10 posts. Don't see that every day.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 09:58 AM

Not a Jew hater, don't have a problem with Jewish people. Just don't like the Country of Israel. The country. Not the faith, not the people the Country. How is it that gets mistaken? Its like saying you hate Iran equates hating all Muslims. Give it a rest. The Country of Israel has committed as many war crimes and crimes against humans as a few others. They get away with it because the US needs a solid ally in the Middle East. Its as simple as that.
Dude. It's 100% impossible for Israel to be on the same level as Hitler and Stalin in terms of crimes against humanity. Last I checked, even if Israel killed every single Palestinian they still wouldn't encroach on Stalin-like numbers, since there are only 4 million Palestinians in the world. And while I certainly think that Israeli/Palestinians deaths are out of proportion to each other, it's certainly not a genocide.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 10:00 AM

That the vast majority of Palestinians are nothing more than terrorists, or sympathizers, who delight in the destruction of any Jews, even children.
And every American is an excellent baseball player because it's the national sport.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 11:20 AM

That the vast majority of Palestinians are nothing more than terrorists, or sympathizers, who delight in the destruction of any Jews, even children. Since you haven't seen it, you can't understand it. It's part of their identity as a people, and it can't be negotiated away. You may think you've seen racism before you've met these people, and then afterwards you realize that you were grossly mistaken.
Oh I don't doubt there are a lot of Palestinian (terrorists or rebels depending on point of view) and I don't support the Palestinians any more then the next guy.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Dude. It's 100% impossible for Israel to be on the same level as Hitler and Stalin in terms of crimes against humanity. Last I checked, even if Israel killed every single Palestinian they still wouldn't encroach on Stalin-like numbers, since there are only 4 million Palestinians in the world. And while I certainly think that Israeli/Palestinians deaths are out of proportion to each other, it's certainly not a genocide.
Not in raw numbers, but in Methods, Reasons and Duration. Look at Slobodan Milošević, he belongs up there too and numbers wise is tiny compared to Hitler and Stalin.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 11:28 AM

I disagree. The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is characterized by short bursts of violence, followed by nothing, followed by more short bursts.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 12:06 PM

Talk about hyperbole!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 12:17 PM

Beiber just didn't want to make the kids suffer any more than they already had.

A rocket attack and a Beiber meeting in the same day would probably have scarred them for life.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 12:30 PM

I disagree. The Palestinian/Israeli conflict is characterized by short bursts of violence, followed by nothing, followed by more short bursts.
The conflict itself, I totally agree except that the rocket attacks from Palestine continue between the major conflicts through out most of the year. yet in those bursts of violence you have a totally un-proportional response from the Israeli Military and Government. And then there is the continued systematics destruction of Palestinian homes for Settlements, forcing people off their land. Then the blockade of goods and supplies. The use of fear and violence in the attempt to stop violence. To often reporters have reported random weapons fire from Israeli troops, aiming just above peoples heads as a fear tactic while occupying Palestinian cities.

One only has to look at the British / IRA conflict to see a more civilized approached to the same kind of conflict. More importantly how it was resolved after decades of blood shed. What do you think the worlds response would have been had Britain used Helicopter gun ships, fired barrages of missiles and pounded Ireland into the stone ages as a response for IRA bombings in London.
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 13, 2011, 12:46 PM

Phew, I'm glad I'm no longer the biggest Jew-Hater here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Did this actually happen?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You probably still are because I don't hate Jews. I don't correlate the actions of a elected government and its military to the faith of the majority population of the country. Its not the Rabbi's and Priests ordering solders to kill indiscriminately, its elected officials.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 12:51 PM

You probably still are because I don't hate Jews.
God forgive me, but:

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 01:08 PM

And every American is an excellent baseball player because it's the national sport.
I didn't use an absolute, get your eyes checked. I will stand behind, let's say, 90% of them. Until you've witnessed it without media filters and bias, you really can't properly appreciate the situation.
Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Talk about hyperbole!
Go ahead, talk about it. I've not used any in this thread, but it sounds like an interesting subject.
Originally Posted by Athens
Oh I don't doubt there are a lot of Palestinian (terrorists or rebels depending on point of view)
Point of view? One of those bastards blew up my goddaughter in a suicide bombing, along with ~a dozen other people on a bus heading for school, and then thousands of them celebrated in the streets over it. If I'd been there, and been properly armed, I would have decreased the Palestinian population a little myself, that day. I guess I'm a bit more personally vested in this situation than most.

It's probably best if I just leave this conversation, it's about the only recurring one on MacNN that gets my blood boiling, and I don't feel like picking at old wounds today.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Amazing. I think you've won the official MacNN Biggest Jew-hater of All Time prize with two short posts. Congratulations.
Reported.

This statement is completely unacceptable. Someone who disagrees with Israel's politics or treatment of Palestinians/Arabs/other countries/refugees/etc should be able to state that opinion, clearly, without ever being called such a despicable term.

You should be embarrassed with yourself. Grow up. And you call yourself a conservative who supports freedom of speech?

Greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 01:26 PM

I didn't use an absolute, get your eyes checked. I will stand behind, let's say, 90% of them. Until you've witnessed it without media filters and bias, you really can't properly appreciate the situation.

Go ahead, talk about it. I've not used any in this thread, but it sounds like an interesting subject.

Point of view? One of those bastards blew up my goddaughter in a suicide bombing, along with ~a dozen other people on a bus heading for school, and then thousands of them celebrated in the streets over it. If I'd been there, and been properly armed, I would have decreased the Palestinian population a little myself, that day. I guess I'm a bit more personally vested in this situation than most.

It's probably best if I just leave this conversation, it's about the only recurring one on MacNN that gets my blood boiling, and I don't feel like picking at old wounds today.
I am sympathetic to your loss, I really am. Understand my point of view. I see the atrocities from both sides. I see a endless circle of violence from both sides. You have personal lost a loved one from the Palestinians but Palestinians have also lost loved ones at the hands of Israelis. Your own response is a symptom of the problem for both sides.
If I'd been there, and been properly armed, I would have decreased the Palestinian population a little myself, that day
Im sure that is the exact reasoning behind some of those launching the rockets or planting bombs. Neither side is right, both sides are wrong but Israel is more wrong because they take the responses to a much higher level.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Reported.

This statement is completely unacceptable. Someone who disagrees with Israel's politics or treatment of Palestinians/Arabs/other countries/refugees/etc should be able to state that opinion, clearly, without ever being called such a despicable term.

You should be embarrassed with yourself. Grow up. And you call yourself a conservative who supports freedom of speech?

Greg
Are you serious ?

You lecture us on freedom of speech, and then report someone else's opinion ? WTF

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you serious ?

You lecture us on freedom of speech, and then report someone else's opinion ? WTF

-t
It's not about freedom of speech. He reported a violation of PW Lounge rules:

First rule of the Political Lounge: No personal attacks.

Second rule of the Political Lounge: No personal attacks.
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...itical-lounge/

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
It's not about freedom of speech. He reported a violation of PW Lounge rules:
I'm sure Athens didn't consider it a personal attack, but rather, a badge of honor

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 01:55 PM

While I'm truly sorry for your loss, it's symptomatic of the whole situation. AKA, if an Israeli missile had done the same thing, you'd be so hateful against them as well, but because some Israelis happen to share the same views as you, you're happy to jump on that bandwagon. Here's the thing, most Israelis don't want to see Palestinians completely wiped off of the face of the planet, and most Palestinians don't want to see Israel wiped off of the face of the planet. It's the assholes who respond violently and with extraordinary measures that ruin it for everyone else.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 01:55 PM

I'm sure Athens didn't consider it a personal attack, but rather, a badge of honor

-t
No I took it as a personal attack, but instead of reporting it I tried correcting his misconceptions of equating Anti Israel with Anti Jewish. He has yet to reply, so I'm waiting.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 02:01 PM

Israel has a secular government, Judiasm is a religion. They are not one and the same. There are Israeli Muslims, Christians, and Atheists. Just as there are Jewish Americans, Iraqis (yes, they exist), etc. Religion certainly plays a part in the conflict but is in no way the only factor. Being critical of Israel doesn't mean being critical of Judaism.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 02:10 PM

Israel has a secular government, Judiasm is a religion. They are not one and the same. There are Israeli Muslims, Christians, and Atheists. Just as there are Jewish Americans, Iraqis (yes, they exist), etc. Religion certainly plays a part in the conflict but is in no way the only factor. Being critical of Israel doesn't mean being critical of Judaism.
And being Jewish does not mean automatic citizenship of Israel as well if you try to move there. Having a criminal record can disqualify you under the "Law of Return" and Jewish people have the option to declare that you don't want to be a citizen of the state as well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 03:09 PM

A few other countries? Like Jordan when they kicked out the Palestinians? Or Tunisia? Libya? Egypt? Syria? Not forgetting China, Japan, Britain or maybe even the US?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 03:41 PM

Are you serious ?

-t
What SpaceMonkey said. MacNN's rules seem to be aimed at maintaining at least some level of civil and rational discussion; there is no way in hell BigMac's comments did not completely violate whatever this lounge is supposed to be about.

[/Pol Rules]
Thus, you are stupid.
[Pol Rules]
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 03:45 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
[/Pol Rules]
Thus, you are stupid.
[Pol Rules]
I knew that, I don't need no stinking Pol Rules exception to tell me.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It doesn't speak well of me that I'd gain so much respect for you if I found out you started this thread just to post that pic.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
A few other countries? Like Jordan when they kicked out the Palestinians? Or Tunisia? Libya? Egypt? Syria? Not forgetting China, Japan, Britain or maybe even the US?
Pol Pot of the Khmer Rouge of Cambodia, Jean Kambanda of Rewanda, Slobodan Milošević of Serbia/Yugoslavia are the ones just above Ariel Sharon, Ehud Olmert and Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 04:30 PM

It's fun to watch someone try and defend a ridiculous statement they've made.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 09:18 PM

You don't know, man, you weren't there, you weren't there!!

Just when Athens makes the stupidest statement imaginable, you actually manage to say something just as retarded. Good job.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 09:29 PM

We can do better.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 09:46 PM

Just when Athens makes the stupidest statement imaginable, you actually manage to say something just as retarded. Good job.
What qualifies you as stupid statement police. Shaddim has some personal emotional involvement in the subject considering unlike you and I he has lost loved ones to the attacks. He has every right to feel the way he does just as I have every right to feel the way I do even if I totally disagree with Shaddim. I can at least understand his position.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 10:00 PM

It's been said that the US is in bed with Israel.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 10:09 PM

Pick someone in your family that you love, c'mon do it, this will be fun. Make it a youngster. Ready? Now picture them getting blown to pieces. You know, smeared all over the inside of what's left of a city transit bus. Keep imagining, because it gets better. Not only does that happen, but it was a deliberate attack by a group who has sworn to kill a whole lot of other people that you love. Okay, still with me? Then, you know what they do? They throw a party! They dance in the streets, celebrate, wave flags. Because, they're just so excited that your family member was murdered, it just made their f##king day! Isn't that wonderful for them?

Now, how was it for you? You like it? That put a smmmiiiiile on your face?
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 10:18 PM

They throw a party! They dance in the streets, celebrate, wave flags.
Don't forget that they also pass out disgusting looking pastries to their disgusting looking friends:

(This was after the Itamar Massacre.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 10:19 PM

Are these the famous dough-wrapped baby fingers ?

-t

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Don't forget that they also pass out disgusting looking pastries to their disgusting looking friends:

(This was after the Itamar Massacre.)
Death is on both sides. Suffering is on both sides.

Its all wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules