Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 2.5 recall??????

Dual 2.5 recall??????
acadian
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 07:26 AM

My IT department placed an order for my dual 2.5 over 2 months ago (Dual 2.5, 4GB, 120, Radeon 9800) and I was initially given a shipping date in early October which was then (as expected) pushed back to October 15. I got a message from my IT guy today stating that the dual 2.5's have been "recalled" due to heat issues and asked if I would settle for a 2.0. I'm well aware of the supply issues with IBM and some reports of malfunctioning cooling units. Anyone else heard of this?
people ruin everything....

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 08:13 AM

The 2.5 is still a very new product, and I think it will still be a few months before it settles. I don't think Apple should have used 2.5 chips, but maybe like 2.2 or 2.25. Unless you need the power, I would just get the 2.0 and be happy with it. It's still an extremely fast machine.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:18 AM

I knew, as soon as I saw the whole water cooling thing, that there was a chance that this could happen...

Water cooling should not really be needed over and above conventional cooling methods unless there was **huge** heat to dissipate, (and possibly in other instances sound issues), and if the 2.5ghz G5's absolutely *needed* water cooling, perhaps the chip was just too hot to ship on that process, at the time it was...

All in all, if this report is correct, it is no surprise unfortunately.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I knew, as soon as I saw the whole water cooling thing, that there was a chance that this could happen...

Water cooling should not really be needed over and above conventional cooling methods unless there was **huge** heat to dissipate, (and possibly in other instances sound issues), and if the 2.5ghz G5's absolutely *needed* water cooling, perhaps the chip was just too hot to ship on that process, at the time it was...

All in all, if this report is correct, it is no surprise unfortunately.
Undoubtedly there is a lot of heat to dissipate but the primary reason for the liquid cooling was to minimize noise and do a more efficient job.

I have yet to see where this is true and is possibly only conjecture on the OP's IT department.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Undoubtedly there is a lot of heat to dissipate but the primary reason for the liquid cooling was to minimize noise and do a more efficient job.

I have yet to see where this is true and is possibly only conjecture on the OP's IT department.
Well, noise is hardly an issue with the G5s... Yes, there are lots of fans, but they are hardly Dual 867s.

As you say, there is water cooling present to 'do a more efficient job'... obviously this would be, 'a more efficient way to move heat from the processors', e.g. provide a better cooling solution than conventional cooling in the other G5s.

Although, as you say, it is all conjecture at this point in time!

Peace out,

TPC

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 11:21 AM

I have a DP2.5 and have heard of no recall. I also haven't had a problem with mine. I have heard of a few problem units with bad CPUs or miscalibrated fans. I've also heard of lots of happy users.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

awcopus
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Leonard:
I have a DP2.5 and have heard of no recall. I also haven't had a problem with mine. I have heard of a few problem units with bad CPUs or miscalibrated fans. I've also heard of lots of happy users.
I'm using a refurbished 2.5 duallie, and with the caveat that it's only been a few days (literally four full days), I have nothing but positive things to say abou it. This machine just hums along, very quietly, offering up the best experience of OSX I've ever known. I'm using Final Cut Pro and Motion and so far the experience in those apps is that the apps are zippy. The way the fans fluctuate on and off makes it seem like the machine is literally working with me. And the G5 on my desktop is MUCH quieter than the dual 1.42 G4, which is sitting over there (I'm pointing to the corner of my office). I thought the G4 duallie was quiet until I got this guy.

I've got the Energy Saver set to Highest Performance, too. So far, pretty awe-inspiring. Apple would have a hard time recalling this machine from me... unless it turns into a water fountain...

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Apple would have a hard time recalling this machine from me... unless it turns into a water fountain...
even then, that is a niiiiice water fountain.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

JCT
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 08:25 PM

The way the fans fluctuate on and off makes it seem like the machine is literally working with me.
Funny, that's the same way I feel about the "rev sounds" that mine makes ....oddly reassuring.

BTW, I went from a very fast self-built P4 3.06 Ghz PC (new switcher) and I adore my Dual 2.5 + 23" Apple display.

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by JCT:
I adore my Dual 2.5 + 23" Apple display.
who wouldn't ?????!!!!! heh congrats on the switch. its always nice when you can switch to machine like the dp 2.5
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
I got a message from my IT guy today stating that the dual 2.5's have been "recalled" due to heat issues and asked if I would settle for a 2.0. I'm well aware of the supply issues with IBM and some reports of malfunctioning cooling units. Anyone else heard of this?
Well, not exactly a recall but something is up it seems. FNAC in France, said this to some client:

Dear client,

we regret to inform you that for now Apple will not be in capacity to deliver the PowerMac G5 you've ordered on September 9th. Apple unveiled a technical issue with their 2.5Ghz processors and are currently trying to solve it. That's the reason why Apple hasn't been able to communicate us a delivery schedule for this model. Yet the 2Ghz model is currently available in very limited quantities under 3 to 4 days. If you wish to switch to this other product please contact us ASAP.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 09:41 PM

I've been using my dual 2.5 for a week now, no problems so far, everything working great. I do a lot of cpu intense work on this baby too, it's stable as a rock.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 10:46 AM

Well, I did mention CPU problems, but I thought they were few. Sounds like maybe Apple is finding the number of CPU problems to be unacceptable and is holding off on selling more until IBM fixes the problem.
MacBook Pro

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 01:33 PM

The "problem" is they can't make them fast enough to satisfy demand. Still waiting on mine Estimated delivery date is Nov.19th.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 02:40 PM

Well, this recall must be a hoax. Probably something invented by a reseller who can't get stock. I've heard of people still receiving G5 DP2.5's and others who are currently waiting for their order.
MacBook Pro

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 04:17 PM

If it isn't a hoax, you had better be prepared to sell your Apple stock the moment it is 'CONFIRMED'.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 06:14 PM

Whether the problems stem from IBM's chip manufacture or otherwise, supply for the 2.5DP can't meet the demand.

But for sure they are still shipping... my employer took delivery of a new 2.5DP only this week and it's sitting under my desk "under evaluation"
When we ordered, Apple asked if we'd prefer a 2.0DP because they were shipping next day at that point in time, but we weren't in a hurry.....

mlowe969
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 02:34 PM

I was running a client's dual 1.45 when I ordered my Dual 2.0. When I finally got it like four months later, I was shocked at how "unfast" this machine was. You still wait for just about everything. I use Photoshop pretty intensely, along with Final Cut, and LightWave 8.0. It is very fast compared to my previous G4 500, but I wasn't shocked once in its performance. I still haven't been shocked once by its performance.

The real bummer is in ripping CDs. My clients dual G4 1.45 can rip a CD at nearly 30x. My Dual 2.0 G5 has never EVER gotten to 20x. Not even close. I run a activity monitor all day watching the processors go up and down. I know its a fast machine. I know the proof is out there that it creates amazing super computers and post processing facilities that created the new Star Wars DVDs, but I'm telling you, I'm willing to bet that you'd find it pretty hard to see the difference between the 2.5 and 2.0.

I would just revert to the 2.0 if I were you. Wait for the Quads for your next upgrade.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 03:57 PM

Ripping can be slowed by the optical drive; limiting the machine in ripping speeds. It is not just a CPU event.
Agent69

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by mlowe969:
I was running a client's dual 1.45 when I ordered my Dual 2.0. When I finally got it like four months later, I was shocked at how "unfast" this machine was. You still wait for just about everything. I use Photoshop pretty intensely, along with Final Cut, and LightWave 8.0. It is very fast compared to my previous G4 500, but I wasn't shocked once in its performance. I still haven't been shocked once by its performance.

The real bummer is in ripping CDs. My clients dual G4 1.45 can rip a CD at nearly 30x. My Dual 2.0 G5 has never EVER gotten to 20x. Not even close. I run a activity monitor all day watching the processors go up and down. I know its a fast machine. I know the proof is out there that it creates amazing super computers and post processing facilities that created the new Star Wars DVDs, but I'm telling you, I'm willing to bet that you'd find it pretty hard to see the difference between the 2.5 and 2.0.

I would just revert to the 2.0 if I were you. Wait for the Quads for your next upgrade.

Ripping is not much to do with CPU, instead the 'digital extraction rate' of your optical drive...

Typically a CD-R/CD-RW/DVD/Combo drive will be *wwaaayyyy* quicker than a superdrive equipped machine at ripping CDs. I suspect this may be the case with the G4 vs the G5 scenario you mention...

For example, my old 'Mirror Drive Door' dual 867 G4 machine with a Combo drive and 48x CD-RW fitted, could rip stuff *much* quicker than my superdrive G5... as could my G4 400 with a quick CD-RW fitted. Would I swap my dual 1.8 G5 for it? Umm, no.

You *will* indeed see a difference between a 2ghz and 2.5ghz when things get genuinely CPU intensive...

Peace out,

TPC

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 04:04 PM

Without a doubt, the 2.5DP can show the 2.0DP a clean pair of heels when performing CPU intensive tasks, but I agree that this isn't outwardly visible from the Desktop. The difference in the amount of noise they make is though

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 05:39 PM

We have ad our DP 2.5 for a few months now and not one problem, we use it for Final Cut production work and besides to G5's problem with the Firewire bus it has been a quiet and great machine.

jamesl
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 12:36 PM

Hi, does anytbody know how soon these should be avauilable in the UK, as I know somebody who has placed an order, but is still waiting! Was promised september!

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 01:45 PM

well i work at a reseller and we just had 3 2.5s come through here for asset tagging yesterday. $8k a piece too! Apparently they're still shipping them...

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 04:03 PM

I have had my dual 2.5 and no problems yet with the exception of some OS related corruption that I will fix with an archive and install.. soon.

Hardware wise, the only glitch I find is that sometimes my 23" display isn't properly detected by the OS (using USB connection) so that I can dim and brighten it with the F14 and F15 keys.. If I wiggle the USB cable though or unplug and replug it in, it works.

iSight is acting up too, no audio in most of the time, but I'm sure that's OS related. I plan to do a re-install and see if it fixes it.

Temps on the CPU and fan speed all seem quite normal however.

The problem os IBM is having a very hard time making the 2.5 reliably and this is what's causing the delays. That's why I tell guys you can forget a "speed bump"
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules