Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari taking up 544.00mb

Safari taking up 544.00mb
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 07:01 AM

My safari has taken up to 551.00 mb today with 3-4 tabs and has never been this high.Anybody got any ideas how to remedy this situation.I was startled when looking through activity monitor and found i also have 12.00 mb or ram available as i right this.It has gone down to as low 8.0mb.

I am running 10.4.7
safari 2.0.4
1.8ghz g5 imac and 768mb ram

Any thoughts?
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 07:49 AM

This is all normal and you need not worry about it. Seriously.

Chris

kick52
Baninated
Jul 5, 2006, 08:41 AM

how much of that is unused?

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 09:20 AM

its just really slow for the first time ever. I currently have 7.93mb free.When i have more available its faster.Its odd that i have never seen safari take up this much ram before.

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 09:25 AM

I have the same problem - notice hang times increasing on everything and check Activity Monitor to see Safari eating up all available RAM. I usually have to restart to clear it up.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 10:44 AM

Safari is using 1.09gb or real memory on my MacBook running 10.4.7. I don't notice any slowdowns anywhere.

BTW, having a lot of free RAM is not necessarily a good thing. Free RAM is wasted RAM. OS X's design is to use RAM if it's there. OS X'S memory management algorithm takes care of deciding which program gets to actually use the RAM.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69
Safari is using 1.09gb or real memory on my MacBook running 10.4.7. I don't notice any slowdowns anywhere.

BTW, having a lot of free RAM is not necessarily a good thing. Free RAM is wasted RAM. OS X's design is to use RAM if it's there. OS X'S memory management algorithm takes care of deciding which program gets to actually use the RAM.

As i type this safari is currently using 105.00 mb and it has used less yesterday(64.00 mb).And it it is way faster.The whole system feels faster.Unless i am missing something.

On to my fix i ended reseting safari and all is well from what i can tell.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 11:25 AM

Safari has had a memory leak pretty much ever since it was released as far as I can tell. Quitting the application periodicly will free up the memory and avoid this situation. I find you don't have to obsess about doing this. Usually I just make sure Safari is no longer running when I'm done using the computer.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69

That very well may be, but that doesn't justify applications failing to release inactive memory that will never be used again.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
Safari has had a memory leak pretty much ever since it was released as far as I can tell. Quitting the application periodicly will free up the memory and avoid this situation. I find you don't have to obsess about doing this. Usually I just make sure Safari is no longer running when I'm done using the computer.

I concur

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2006, 08:14 PM

The worst Safari memory leak I have seen is around 500MB. The problem has seemed to improve quite a bit since I switched to the Nightlies.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The worst Safari memory leak I have seen is around 500MB. The problem has seemed to improve quite a bit since I switched to the Nightlies.
Worst? hahaha, that's a number I laugh at. Mine's currently at 1.23 GB of ram used for my Safari.

( Last edited by nobitacu; Nov 12, 2006 at 04:57 AM. )
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules