Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Keyboard - Return Key

iPhone Keyboard - Return Key
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2011, 05:55 PM

Is it just me or is the Return key on the iPhone keyboard so big that it's becoming a usability issue? I can't count the number of times that I'm typing along and I try to use my right thumb to hit the Space bar ... either to enter a space or double tap to end a sentence ... and I wind up hitting the gigantic Return key instead. Which creates a new line that I then have to turn around and back out. It's soooooo frustrating! I hardly ever intentionally need to start a new line. I'm sending texts and short emails. No need for separate paragraphs on a regular basis. It seems to me that this key should be no wider than the Backspace key above it ... that way the Space bar can be even wider and more likely to be hit by my right thumb as I intend.

Anyone else experiencing this?

OAW

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2011, 10:26 PM

I think it's just you. My problem is often I hit the "123" key when I mean to hit the space bar. This leads me to think that it's just a matter of practice and attention to the keyboard.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 09:54 PM

Just you. I'm always hitting delete.

dbjork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2011, 03:48 AM

I don't have a problem with the space bar. But sometimes I wished the x/delete key would disappear when I want them to. I always hit it when I type L and M. I guess it's different for a lot of people.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 04:48 AM

I don't think I have a problem with the size of the return key, but I do wish we could have some alternate keyboard layout/input options to choose from sometimes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

-Q-
May 22, 2011, 07:20 AM

I'm always hitting 'v' or 'n' when I mean to hit the space bar. No problem with the return key, myself.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I'm always hitting 'v' or 'n' when I mean to hit the space bar. No problem with the return key, myself.
I do that a lot myself.

OAW

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think I have a problem with the size of the return key, but I do wish we could have some alternate keyboard layout/input options to choose from sometimes.
I really wish it were possible to get/make custom keyboard layouts for iOS, like it is for OS X. That would be grand.

(I usually end up missing spaces altogether, ’cause it doesn’t register my click there. It seems in general to be less pressure-sensitive along the edges, so a, q, å, ø, and backspace are frequently missed, too.)

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 24, 2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I really wish it were possible to get/make custom keyboard layouts for iOS, like it is for OS X. That would be grand...
I find it odd that Steve touted how using a software-generated keyboard would enable custom keyboards to be created for each app, something that couldn't be done with a physical keyboard. And yet, here we are.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2011, 06:51 AM

Search in the iOS App Store for "Easy Typing.". It's a 99¢ app that gives you larger keys (it's aimed at the iPhone, not the iPad), and places the punctuation keys more handily. It is, unfortunately, not a true keyboard replacement, because it's an app, not an OS extension. It works well, though.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules