Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Anyone??

Anyone??
Charles Corn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 08:12 PM

I would like to join this team. I have about 118,000 credits in Seti. Mac 1.8Dual, 10.3.9. I used the Seti supplied program, but would like to use the one from MacNN instead. I am a complete dummy about the terminal. I was able to install and get the original CLI version from Seti running after much hit and miss. If anyone would like to walk me thru the process, I'd be grateful. I am on-line 24/7 as my job keeps me away for 70-90 hrs. a week. That is a lot of uninterrupted processor time that is available to me. Thanks, and I hope to hear from someone. Charlie

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Corn
I would like to join this team. I have about 118,000 credits in Seti. Mac 1.8Dual, 10.3.9. I used the Seti supplied program, but would like to use the one from MacNN instead. I am a complete dummy about the terminal. I was able to install and get the original CLI version from Seti running after much hit and miss. If anyone would like to walk me thru the process, I'd be grateful. I am on-line 24/7 as my job keeps me away for 70-90 hrs. a week. That is a lot of uninterrupted processor time that is available to me. Thanks, and I hope to hear from someone. Charlie
Charlie. You are welcome to join the team. The MacNN clients are available to everyone, and they work with both the CLI and the GUI. I am a little under the weather here tonight and can't quite formulate my thougts, but will try to post some instructions tomorrow. They have been posted before here in the forums, but I can't remember where.

Maybe someone else will jump in to help out too, but it is a holiday weekend in the US so a lot of the team may be off to enjoy the last long weekend for a while.

Charles Corn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 10:28 PM

Thank you very much for the reply. I'd really like to use a simple GUI so I can stay away from the terminal. Yes, it is a holiday weekend, and I am not in a hurry at all!! I'm grateful for the help, and look forward to doing SETI again. Charlie

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 12:39 AM

Charlie:

Let me see if I can give you the info, and then Shaktai can correct my errors/omissions.

First, go to <a href="http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php"> this site </a> and download the application of choice. If you'd like a simple GUI, then the one labelled "menubar" is probably the simplest and easiest. After you un-zip the file (should happen automatically, if using Safari...), place the MenuBar appllication in your Applications Folder. Double click on it to launch it, then go up to the little B on your menubar and quit the MenuBar application. This should have placed a set of folders on your computer something like User/Charlie/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data.

Second, go to <a href="http://members.dslextreme.com/~readerforum/forum_team/boinc.html"> this site </a> and download the appropriate optimized client. If your machine is a G4, I'd suggest the G4 superbench 408 K version. or for a G5, the G5 superbench 412 K version. Go to your Applications Folder, and Control-Click on the MenuBar application. In the little popup window, select Show Package Contents. In the new window, open Contents, then Resources, and look for the file "boinc". Remove it, and replace it with the optimized one you just downloaded from Team MacNN. Now, rename the optimized client to "boinc", just like the original was. Close this window.

Now, go to <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=266339&page=1"> this forum message </a> and download the one labelled "All models (G4-optimized, but should run fine on G5s)" in the first message posted. This should automatically unzip when you download it, giving you a folder with two files in it: app_info.xml and setiathome-4.18.g4-apple-darwin-panther-vdsp-alpha-1 Now, go find that User/Charlie/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/Projects folder. Create a new folder inside of Projects, and name it "setiathome.berkeley.edu" then put both the app_info.xml and the setiathome-4.18.g4-apple-darwin-panther-vdsp-alpha-1 into the setiathome.berkeley.edu folder.

Close everything, and launch Menubar. Pull down the B in your menu bar and select Manage Projects. Click the Add button, and then enter the URL and account ID for your SETI account.

Ok - having said all that, if you just want to try out MenuBar first to see if you like it, then download and install it just as it comes. Click on the B, Add SETI project and let it run. Then at some future date, if you decide you really want to use the optimized clients, you can follow the processes I wrote earlier.

And if you decide you prefer CLI, just replace the standard BOINC client with the optimized one, replace the standard SETI client with the optimized one, and it's associated app_info.xml file (very important, as this tells BOINC which seti app to run...) and run as you have been doing. You can replace the BOINC client without harming a work unit in progress, but if you replace the SETI client itself, it will usually kill any work units in progress or not yet uploaded, so run your queue way down by setting your preferences to connect every .01 day

[edit] Forgot to mention...SETI is not running very reliably, so you might want to add another project such as Einstein, so you can continue to number-crunch when no SETI work units are available. There is a new optimized client available <a href="http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/"> here. </a> [/edit]

beadman
( Last edited by beadman; Sep 3, 2005 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Oops! forgot some info.)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by beadman
Charlie:

Let me see if I can give you the info, and then Shaktai can correct my errors/omissions.

First, go to <a href="http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php"> this site </a> and download the application of choice. If you'd like a simple GUI, then the one labelled "menubar" is probably the simplest and easiest. After you un-zip the file (should happen automatically, if using Safari...), place the MenuBar appllication in your Applications Folder. Double click on it to launch it, then go up to the little B on your menubar and quit the MenuBar application. This should have placed a set of folders on your computer something like User/Charlie/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data.

beadman
Only one correction I can think of at the moment. The default path for the BOINC data is:
Hard Drive > Library > Application Support > Boinc Data > Projects > setiathome.berkeley.edu.

I would recommend before you install the app, that you set your cache under account preferences to no more then .1 so that you don't download too many units. When you install the optimized app, it may error out the units already downloaded.

I think the rest is correct, but I'm a little drowsy so I'll check it again in the morning.

Unregistered9z
Sep 23, 2005, 05:45 AM

Charlie:

Second, go to <a href="http://members.dslextreme.com/~readerforum/forum_team/boinc.html"> this site </a> and download the appropriate optimized client. If your machine is a G4, I'd suggest the G4 superbench 408 K version. or for a G5, the G5 superbench 412 K version. Go to your Applications Folder, and Control-Click on the MenuBar application. In the little popup window, select Show Package Contents. In the new window, open Contents, then Resources, and look for the file "boinc". Remove it, and replace it with the optimized one you just downloaded from Team MacNN. Now, rename the optimized client to "boinc", just like the original was. Close this window.

beadman

Please, some help
the G4 superbench 408 K version is not recognized as a unix file by my g4. In the info it is just labelled as 'document'. After I replaced this file in the Recources folder with the original boinc, the menubar won't start.

What to do?

Kind regards,
Chang

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 02:08 PM

Hi, Chang.
When you put the G4 superbench 408K version into menubar resources folder, did you rename it to "boinc", or did you leave it with the long name it comes with? If you didn't rename it, you need to do that for menubar to recognize it.

beadman

elcid89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2005, 10:48 PM

Charlie:

Now, go to <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=266339&page=1"> this forum message </a> and download the one labelled "All models (G4-optimized, but should run fine on G5s)" in the first message posted. This should automatically unzip when you download it, giving you a folder with two files in it: app_info.xml and setiathome-4.18.g4-apple-darwin-panther-vdsp-alpha-1 Now, go find that User/Charlie/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/Projects folder. Create a new folder inside of Projects, and name it "setiathome.berkeley.edu" then put both the app_info.xml and the setiathome-4.18.g4-apple-darwin-panther-vdsp-alpha-1 into the setiathome.berkeley.edu folder.

Close everything, and launch Menubar. Pull down the B in your menu bar and select Manage Projects. Click the Add button, and then enter the URL and account ID for your SETI account.

Ok - having said all that, if you just want to try out MenuBar first to see if you like it, then download and install it just as it comes. Click on the B, Add SETI project and let it run. Then at some future date, if you decide you really want to use the optimized clients, you can follow the processes I wrote earlier.

And if you decide you prefer CLI, just replace the standard BOINC client with the optimized one, replace the standard SETI client with the optimized one, and it's associated app_info.xml file (very important, as this tells BOINC which seti app to run...) and run as you have been doing. You can replace the BOINC client without harming a work unit in progress, but if you replace the SETI client itself, it will usually kill any work units in progress or not yet uploaded, so run your queue way down by setting your preferences to connect every .01 day

[edit] Forgot to mention...SETI is not running very reliably, so you might want to add another project such as Einstein, so you can continue to number-crunch when no SETI work units are available. There is a new optimized client available <a href="http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/"> here. </a> [/edit]

beadman
This is probably a silly question, but are these optimizations supposed to kill the graphics? If so, fine, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't killed something inadvertently. It's running incredibly fast (G5 Dual 2.7, 2GB RAM), but the screensaver just says "BOINC is not currently running any applications with graphics" and some percentage completion numbers. Is this normal and expected behavior?

Thanks!

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by elcid89
This is probably a silly question, but are these optimizations supposed to kill the graphics? If so, fine, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't killed something inadvertently. It's running incredibly fast (G5 Dual 2.7, 2GB RAM), but the screensaver just says "BOINC is not currently running any applications with graphics" and some percentage completion numbers. Is this normal and expected behavior?

Thanks!
You haven't broken anything, that is normal behavior. The optimized apps and clients don't support graphics or screensaver. They are tweaked for speed, and graphics take away a lot of speed.

elcid89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
You haven't broken anything, that is normal behavior. The optimized apps and clients don't support graphics or screensaver. They are tweaked for speed, and graphics take away a lot of speed.
Ok, just wanted to be sure. The CPU benchmarks went from 3,600 or so Whetstone to 14,000 or so Whetstone, so whatever you did definitely made a difference. It would be nice to have at least something rudimentary in the way of graphics to watch though. I do kind of miss that, but I suppose one can't have everything.

Tanks!

Chang
Sep 26, 2005, 02:24 PM

I've tried it all and did it five times. On a g4 and a G5.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...48#post2679744

Here's my machine:

G5 2x 2G Tiger
I'm using Boincmanager 4.44
boinc_4.44_ppcG5superbench.sit
seti@home-G5-a5

Followed all the steps.

Boincmanager4.44 won't start.
but with Boincmanager4.43 will but can't make a connection.
Is there a simple installer (with altivec) for the not so bright?

Kind regards,

Chang

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chang

Kind regards,

Chang
Yeah, the Mac Version of BOINC Manager can be problematic. Make certain it is configured to load at startup, and then try to restart your computer. That's what works for me. If you quit the app, at any time though, you will have to restart the computer to get BOINC Manager going again.

elcid89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
Yeah, the Mac Version of BOINC Manager can be problematic. Make certain it is configured to load at startup, and then try to restart your computer. That's what works for me. If you quit the app, at any time though, you will have to restart the computer to get BOINC Manager going again.
Not sure why this is happening to him. I am able to quit BM and restart it at will from Dock. No problems.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

Chang:
Have you tried running the "simple GUI" MenuBar? It doesn't have all the features of BOINC Manager, but it's pretty easy to install. I have it running on my G4 iBook and my old G3 iMac both.

beadman

Chang
Sep 28, 2005, 05:53 AM

Thanks for all your help, but I still can't get it to run. I've tried it with a g4 and g5, with simple and standard gui, with renaming and replacing. But after I've replaced boinc with the optimized client (superbench or normal) in Resources the app won't start. (maybe its cause I'm Dutch)
I'll try it again in 6 months. I appreciate your help and time!
Chang

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 09:19 AM

<snip> Go to your Applications Folder, and Control-Click on the MenuBar application. In the little popup window, select Show Package Contents. In the new window, open Contents, then Resources, and look for the file "boinc". Remove it, and replace it with the optimized one you just downloaded from Team MacNN. Now, rename the optimized client to "boinc", just like the original was. Close this window.

<snip> Now, go find that User/Charlie/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/Projects folder. Create a new folder inside of Projects, and name it "setiathome.berkeley.edu" then put both the app_info.xml and the setiathome-4.18.g4-apple-darwin-panther-vdsp-alpha-1 into the setiathome.berkeley.edu folder.

<snip>
beadman
Thanks beadman for those instructions. Think I've followed them but am not clear on a couple things.
(1) I replaced the "boinc" file in the BoincManager 4.43 Resources folder with the "boinc" file in the BoincManager 4.44 Resources folder; but wasn't sure which file you were saying to 'rename' "boinc".

(2) Do I delete BoincManager 4.44 after taking out the "boinc" file and putting it in BM 4.43 Resources folder?

(3) Last I just wondered if just replacing BoincManager 4.43 app in the Applications Folder with BoincManager 4.44 would work.

Thanks much!
--

The Raven
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chang
I've tried it all and did it five times. On a g4 and a G5.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...48#post2679744

Here's my machine:

G5 2x 2G Tiger
I'm using Boincmanager 4.44
boinc_4.44_ppcG5superbench.sit
seti@home-G5-a5

Followed all the steps.

Kind regards,

Chang
Looks like you need to unstuff the boinc_4.44_ppcG5superbench file first.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 12:26 PM

I would start simple.
Download the pre-configured BoincMenbar with Boinc 4.44 optimized client, launch it,
Attach to Seti@home and put in your ID.
See if it works.
If it does, yay.
Now you can try experimenting with dropping in the altivec seti worker and/or the superbench client, one at a time and verifying it works after each thing you do.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2005, 01:37 AM

Now there is a pre-installed superbench client on the Team MacNN Client page.
This should solve part of your problem.

http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...eam/boinc.html

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 09:38 AM

Milo:
Sorry about that...I was giving the instruction for switching out the client inside BOINC Manager because that's what we used to have to do. The team site now has the pre-installed 4.44 in BOINC Manager, as mikkyo has pointed out. Those should install correctly and run the optimized version right from the start. So, you (3) is really all you should need to do for a clean installation.

beadman

E.T from tellus
Oct 12, 2005, 11:02 AM

I have tested setiathome-4.18-applevdsp-tiger-G5-alpha-4 on my dual 2.7ghz G5 (8gb ram os x 10.4.2) and results are amazing!
Standard seti 4.18 = 7417 seconds/cpu (10 samples avg)
setiathome-4.18-applevdsp-tiger-G5-alpha-4 = 3882 seconds/cpu (10samples avg)
Performance boost 52% over standard seti 4.18

gulliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 12:16 PM

Charlie:

beadman

Hi beadman,

does this procedure also work with the 5.2.5 client?

Thanks in advance

Gulliver
( Last edited by gulliver; Nov 4, 2005 at 12:25 PM. )

kenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 04:19 PM

Yeah, a little help with the 5.2.5 client would be mucho appreciated. I was screaming along with 4.72, but I've since dropped two places to fourth since 'upgrading' to the new client. Makes me want to go back to the good 'ole days.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 11:38 PM

gulliver and kenn:
I haven't tried it with 5.2.x - I'm still chugging along with OS 10.3.9 and BOINC 4.44. One thing you can try: Quit BOINC, copy the entire BOINC folder as a backup, then try it. If it doesn't work, trash the 5.2.x and it's BOINC folder, then use your backup copy (probably need to rename the folder...)

beadman

Forum Links
Forum Rules