Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Booting modern Intel Macs from Linux on a USB stick

Booting modern Intel Macs from Linux on a USB stick
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2021, 06:24 PM

Hey all: I'm wondering if any of you have experience booting recent Macs from non-Apple OSes. Asking because I ran the Ubuntu installer on a USB flash drive, and if I stick the resulting drive, I can boot my 2013 MBP from it, no problem; option key, choose the drive, it starts right up.

However, on my 2019 16" MBP, the same USB stick just results in the computer sitting at a black screen until I eventually force a shutdown.

Things I've tried already:

- Starting in Recovery Mode and turning off all the startup disk security options

- Starting in Recovery Mode and disabling SIP

- Installing rEFInd on the USB drive's EFI partition and using `sudo bless` on it

Nothing has made a difference so far—my 2013 still boots from it like it's no problem, but my 2019 just won't have it.

Is there anything I might have missed?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Thorzdad
Jun 28, 2021, 07:10 PM

Could you be running afoul, somehow, of the T2 security chip?

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2021, 07:34 PM

That is what I assumed; however, setting this to "No Security" and "Allow booting from external media" in the window shown here should disable that, shouldn't it?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2021, 08:56 PM

I'm assuming you are using an Ubuntu copy released after your 2019 MBP.

Your USB stick format. Is it GUID partition / MS-DOS (FAT) as Ubuntu suggests?

Older Intel Macs will boot from Apple Partition Map, but I haven't checked if that's still true on later models.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2021, 09:23 PM

It was from the current release of Ubuntu. The stick started out as GUID / FAT, but I think the Ubuntu installer reformatted it to ext4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules