Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > itunes library transfer

itunes library transfer
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 12:14 PM

My wife just purchased a new macbook core2duo and she wants to transfer all her music (20-30gigs worth) from her old MDD dual 1ghz tower. What is the proper way to transfer all music from one mac to another??? When i have in the past just copied and pasted my whole itunes folder i tend to end up missing a few songs during the move. Can anyone help

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by treebark7182 View Post
My wife just purchased a new macbook core2duo and she wants to transfer all her music (20-30gigs worth) from her old MDD dual 1ghz tower. What is the proper way to transfer all music from one mac to another??? When i have in the past just copied and pasted my whole itunes folder i tend to end up missing a few songs during the move. Can anyone help
I just move my whole library like you did and have never had an issue. Unless there is another place that you have directed iTunes to store the music, you should be good.

plamparello
Nov 21, 2006, 01:11 PM

Also, If you have .mac the backup 3 tool works well if you have an external hard drive.
plamparello

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 02:04 PM

does transfering the whole folder over a wireless network possibly cause the loss of some music?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 02:10 PM

Ever considered the migration assistant that comes with OS X and fires up the first time you use the MacBook?

Specifically, use it to transfer the home folder ("user account" or whatever it's called). It will get her iTunes music, as well as any other stuff in her home directory (backgrounds, dock preferences, etc). Takes about 45 minutes for that much music, and then you're laughing.

Seriously, it's great. You can run it manually if you opted out initially, though it may crud up some stuff on the new machine if it runs into conflicts.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by treebark7182 View Post
does transfering the whole folder over a wireless network possibly cause the loss of some music?
That shouldn't have caused the music loss.

You could always use a program like iPodRip to download all the music off the iPod and place it in your iTunes library. You would have to redo your playlists and etc. This would only be useful if all her music is on the iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules