Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X sleep question

OS X sleep question
bighill
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 09:14 AM

Dual 800, OS X.1.4, newbie to all things mac.

Hi guys,
When my machine is woken from sleep, sometimes the menu bar at the top of the screen is duplicated several times filling the screen with the clock frozen at whatever time it was put to sleep, or went to sleep on its own. The only way to get out of it since I can't access the apple button to restart, is to do a reset. I've called apple tech twice. The first person thought it might be a screwed user profile and suggested I make a second and try putting it to sleep under that one. Same thing happend when waking it. The second sent me an email to an nvidia driver update link. The update is for a g-force 4 card, mine is a g-force 2, so i didn't download it thinking it could be the wrong driver for my card.

Can anybody give me a clue here what might be the problem??
Should I try this driver for the g-force 4??
I forgot to add, this does not happen every single time it goes or is put to sleep, only once a week or so.
Thanks for your time.
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2002, 09:49 AM

It certainly wouldn't hurt trying that GeForce 4 update. Worst case scenario is that the update is indeed only for the GF4 in which case it wouldn't affect anything since it will not touch the GF2 drivers.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Forum Links
Forum Rules