Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Uninstalling Norton Antivirus

Uninstalling Norton Antivirus
mephastopholes
Aug 2, 2009, 12:42 AM

Hi,
I recently migrated over from a Power Book G4 to a Mac Book Pro. When starting up I always get a couple of error messages from Norton

"Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect could not continue. Please run LiveUpdate or reinstall Norton AntiVirus and restart. (Code 10)"

I've searched for and deleted all symantec and norton files even under the preferences folder but w/o any luck... any suggestions?
thx in advance.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2009, 01:00 AM

Check your Login Items in your Accounts preference pane, and check your root Library folder for items in StartupItems and/or LaunchDaemons.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mephastopholes  (op)
Aug 2, 2009, 01:28 AM

thanks for the info... nothing in the login items, but I deleted 3 com.symantec files that i missed under "user-lbirary-preferences" but to no avail. Anywhere else that these may be hiding?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2009, 02:40 AM

Open up Activity Monitor when the error box is visible on the screen. Do you see any processes in there that could have something to do with Norton?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2009, 07:57 AM

Does this removal tool help at all? Removing all Symantec programs for Macintosh by using the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility

There may be a more up to date one on there, but give it a try.

mephastopholes  (op)
Aug 15, 2009, 10:29 PM

just following up here; I finally got some time to sit down and dig into this...
I tried the uninstaller from symantec's website but all it did was tell me that norton was already uninstalled did a little more looking around and lo and behold, there were about 3 symantec/norton folders that I found in the library folder... deleted then, restarted and all is well in the world again!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2009, 07:35 AM

Symantec's AV for Macs really NEEDS that uninstaller. Unlike most Mac apps, you can't just drag the main app to the trash and be done with it-because of those random Symantec/Norton folders, and maybe some other detritus left around. It's not because this app is "badly written," just that to work right any AV has to integrate itself somewhat into the OS and that is sort of messy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2009, 08:52 AM

mephastophles- Can you please tell me the specific path where to delete some remaining files. Because I'm having the same issue. Check at my post: http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...error-message/

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 10:46 AM

I have Norton Antivirus installed on my Mac as well, this is what I have found related to it:

Inside your user account Home folder,

/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Preferences/

Look for com.symantec… files and some folder (I have three files and just one folder), these ones:

/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Preferences/com.Symantec.LiveUpdate.plist
/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Preferences/com.symantec.nortonantivirus.plist
/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Preferences/com.symantec.quickmenu.plist
/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Preferences/com.symantec.symsched

^ last one is an empty folder for me.

Then I have found items related to Symantec Norton Antivirus outside your User Library, at the Root level of the hard disk. Go to your hard disk icon and then go to the Library folder:

/Library/Application Support/Norton Solutions Support folder

/Library/Application Support/Symantec folder

/Library/Contextual Menu Items/NAVCMPlugIn.plugin <--- the only item you have to delete there

/Library/LaunchDaemons <--- has inside these files you want to delete,
com.symantec.avscandaemon.plist
com.symantec.uiagent.plist
com.symantec.diskMountNotify.plist
com.symantec.MissedTasks.plist
com.symantec.navapd.plist
com.symantec.navapdaemon.plist
com.symantec.Sched501-1.plist
com.symantec.symdaemon.plist
com.symantec.symSchedDaemon.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes <--- might have the "SymantecQuickMenu.prefPane" file you want to delete as well

/Library/Preferences/Network <--- "com.Symantec.LiveUpdate.plist" file to be deleted

/Library/PrivateFrameworks <--- I have found 13 folders related to Norton Antivirus, names as shown below:
SymAppKitAdditions.framework
SymAVScan.framework
SymBase.framework
SymDaemon.framework
SymInternetSecurity.framework
SymIPS.framework
SymIR.framework
SymNetworking.framework
SymScheduler.framework
SymSharedSettings.framework
SymSystem.framework
SymUIAgent.framework
SymUIAgentUI.framework

/Library/Receipts <--- you might have some packages with names starting with symantec or norton there.

/Library/Widgets <--- I have a "Symantec Alerts.wdgt" Dashboard widget there.

Then go back to the root level of your hard disk (double click on your hard disk icon) and then go to the System folder

/System/Library/Extensions I have the "SymInternetSecurity.kext" and "SymIPS.kext" which are kernel extension files.

That is it. Hope this helps.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2009, 04:03 PM

Hey. I deleted "everything" manually. When I restarted and logged in then these 5 window prompted quickly as i logged in. All of them showed the same error message (Code 10) and one of these showed (Code 9)?

I tried to figure out everything and couldn't? Help?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 04:28 PM

Open with some editor like BBEdit the file…

loginwindow.plist

located here: (root level of the hard disk)
/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist

and see if you can find entries for 'norton' or 'symantec'.

Items listed there are run as background tasks once the login is done. So I guess deleting those might solve that issue.

Please note I am not an expert when it comes to command line / editing code… so better advice would be welcome. I tried to open it with TextEdit but it looked like gibberish to me. 

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2009, 01:49 PM

REINSTALL THE SOFTWARE. USE THE INCLUDED UNINSTALLER. TASK COMPLETE.

Seriously, this application MUST integrate itself with the OS enough that a regular "drag to the trash" delete will NOT uninstall it. That's why they gave you an uninstaller. Even reinstalling the app and then using the uninstaller will be MUCH, MUCH faster than poking around to TRY to find the bits left over from a drag to the trash delete.

Norbert Maior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2009, 04:17 PM

Hello "angelmb", thank you for your advice!

I had the same issue as mentioned in the screenshot by Matt OS X. After removing all the related files I managed to eliminate the error which was displayed even after uninstalling SAV.

Thank you again angelmb, much appreciate your effort! Happy new year everyone !!!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2009, 04:55 PM

Hello and welcome to the boards Norbert Maior !!. Glad it worked for you. Happy New Year to you as well.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2009, 05:08 PM

I've found that Sophos works really well.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2009, 10:42 PM

So does Symantec's RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility. I've used it several times, with complete success.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2009, 12:59 AM

^^ What Glenn have said. It's the best and easiest way to remove everything related to NAV. Tried it myself recently as well.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2009, 03:14 AM

For what its worth, here are a couple of equations I have found invaluable:

NAV+MacOSX=Stress+Headache+Heartburn+Pain in Left Arm

ClamXav+MacOSX=No Stress+No Headache+No Heartburn+No Pain in Left Arm+Happiness

Happy New Year Boys and Girls!
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
For what its worth, here are a couple of equations I have found invaluable:

NAV+MacOSX=Stress+Headache+Heartburn+Pain in Left Arm

ClamXav+MacOSX=No Stress+No Headache+No Heartburn+No Pain in Left Arm+Happiness

Happy New Year Boys and Girls!
voicebox
Our experiences have varied quite a lot, especially in terms of the first equation. Never a single glitch with NAV-as long as I had a version that supported my OS version. Perhaps I didn't stress it much, but I also didn't dink around with the OS's innards or with a bunch of settings throughout the system either. Most of the posts I've seen that blame NAV for a goofed up OS X installation have been related to "I changed permissions and..." or "NAV borked my fancy hacked kexts and now I can't..." That's not to say that some people don't have problems with NAV "just because," but in general I've never managed to get anywhere near a problem, nor have I been able to replicate such problems with it.

And this is the last sentence of this "derail."

Andreas.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2009, 03:06 AM

I have had no adverse comments about this script which should remove everything Norton. It will tell you item by item what it finds and ask for permission before deleting anything. I have housed the script in the Bombich Forums where I am a Moderator -- just ignore any references to CCC.

Andreas

Forum Links
Forum Rules