Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Will i Be able to ugrade to vista?

Will i Be able to ugrade to vista?
wake266
Dec 17, 2006, 04:50 PM

I am preparing to install bootcamp on my macbook, and i was wondering if when vista comes out, can i just purcahse the upgrade and install it on the windows xp? opr will i have to buy the the full windows vista

jwoods
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2006, 07:09 PM

Why bother? It appears that Vista is just a copy of OS X, anyway. LOL. (See David Pogue state why MS didn't rip off Apple.....very funny video review)

I think you will have to buy a full version of it. Just as you cannot use the upgrade to XP to install XP via bootcamp. If Apple did allow the upgrade disk to work, you could almost be that MS would be filing a lawsuit.

Edit: Deleted questions I found answered elsewhere in the forum pertaining to install Vista.
( Last edited by jwoods; Dec 17, 2006 at 07:18 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 07:17 PM

You can't use the upgrade disk for XP because there isn't any previous Windows installation. Upgrading to Vista from XP should work out of the box, and even if it doesn't I'm sure someone will figure it out.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 07:25 PM

Well since Vista isn't really out yet its difficult to say whether the upgrade version will work. I suspect it will be fairly easy to install the upgrade cd. I have run into a number of bumps in the road to install Vista (an early beta) so there still may be issues with vista and boot camp.

Also keep in mind that vista's high demand for resources, i.e., bloated. If you have a MacBook (not pro) then your GPU will be hard pressed and performance will be impacted. It should work, I've been using vista on a mini but I'm waiting for the gold copy to install it on my MacPro.
Michael

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Also keep in mind that vista's high demand for resources, i.e., bloated. If you have a MacBook (not pro) then your GPU will be hard pressed and performance will be impacted.
The GPU (GMA 950) in the MacBook (and Mac mini) fully supports all of the graphics needed for Vista's Aero interface.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The GPU (GMA 950) in the MacBook (and Mac mini) fully supports all of the graphics needed for Vista's Aero interface.
I never said it wasn't. What I said was that it will be hard pressed and performacnce will be an issue.
Michael

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 01:07 PM

You'll want to be sure that your Windows partition is NTFS...boot camp makes it FAT32 but Vista doesn't want to install on FAT32.

Forum Links
Forum Rules