Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So im thinking about buying a Mac for the first time....

So im thinking about buying a Mac for the first time....
CookieMonster92
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 06:23 PM

Now I am 16 years old and have been into filming skateboarding for about the past 4 years. Now why is this important to you your asking well let me tell you.

So I have been editing my footage on an Dell with Windows XP. I have grown up using windows so I no nothing about Macs really. Only time I have used one is when I am at the Apple store. I have heard/seen that most skateboard filmers use Macs to edit footage for various reasons. Now I am looking into a Mac but find myself not with many options since most Macs are priced really high for me to buy. I have found that a Mac Mini I would be able to afford though. Now I have read up on it buy first I have some questions. Also I am looking at the cheaper version that has 1GB RAM and 80 GB hardrive. So here are my questions (watch out there are quite a few)

1. I noticed it does not come with a key board and a mouse so can I hock up a normal mouse and keyboard to it or do they need to be USB mouse and ketboard?

2. I am looking at a PC also that has the video imputs like you see on the back of a TV. Is there anyway I could buy an add-on for the mac mini so I could have those ports on it?

3. How many USB ports does it have?

4. How many firewire ports does it have?

5. I recently bought an external 250 GB hardrive its a Free Agent so would I be able to hook that up to the Mac?

6. What kind of Graphics card does it have?

7. What kind or processor does it have?

8. Is there anyway to expand the RAM large than 2 GBs?

9. Is there a version of Adobe Premire video editing software I can instal on a Mac?

10. Do I have to use an Apple Moniter or can I use just a normal PC monieter?

11. Is a Mac built any diffrent then I PC?

12. Why is a compueter with 1 GB RAM and 80 GB harddrive so expensive.

Well sorry for so many questions but as you can see I don't know anything about them really.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 06:32 PM

I would suggest you start with Apple.

It will answer many questions about the hardware specs of Apple's computer lineup. There are different lines of Macs (Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro), so your answers can not be adressed without looking at specific Macs.

Some ground "rules":
You can use almost all monitors, and all USB keyboards and mice on a Mac.
external harddrives can be used, given that they use USB or FireWire as a connection.

-t

edit: just notice dthat you specified the mini. Nevermind my "lineup" tirade...
( Last edited by turtle777; Jan 8, 2008 at 07:25 PM. )

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 07:01 PM

well, Macs can use all external hard drives made...fiber channel, scsi, NAS, SANS, USB, firewire, etc. some of course, may need an expansion card (fiber channel, scsi).

(you made it sound like Macs can only use USB and firewire external drives...just being an ass)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 07:04 PM

Kids still skateboard nowadays?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 07:09 PM

for video editing I wouldn't even consider getting a mini. I would look at the refurb imac prices and wait until after the keynote next week before buying anything.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CookieMonster92 View Post
1. I noticed it does not come with a key board and a mouse so can I hock up a normal mouse and keyboard to it or do they need to be USB mouse and ketboard?

2. I am looking at a PC also that has the video imputs like you see on the back of a TV. Is there anyway I could buy an add-on for the mac mini so I could have those ports on it?

3. How many USB ports does it have?

4. How many firewire ports does it have?

5. I recently bought an external 250 GB hardrive its a Free Agent so would I be able to hook that up to the Mac?

6. What kind of Graphics card does it have?

7. What kind or processor does it have?

8. Is there anyway to expand the RAM large than 2 GBs?

9. Is there a version of Adobe Premire video editing software I can instal on a Mac?

10. Do I have to use an Apple Moniter or can I use just a normal PC monieter?

11. Is a Mac built any diffrent then I PC?

12. Why is a compueter with 1 GB RAM and 80 GB harddrive so expensive.
1. Yes, you need a USB mouse and keyboard; any brand will do.

2. Yes, you can; see Miglia and Elgato.

3. Four

4. One

5. Yes

6. Intel GMA950 integrated graphics... the low-end from about 2 years ago, so don't expect to do much gaming on it.

7. The previous generation of mobile Core 2 Duo.

8. Yes, you can go to 3GB.

9. Yes.

10. Any monitor will do.

11. Not really aside from marginal differences. Built by the same companies in Asia using the same components.

12. Because it's built from laptop components.

Don't do video editing on a Mac mini; get a refurb iMac instead.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
(you made it sound like Macs can only use USB and firewire external drives...just being an ass)
Oh, come on, don't confuse the n00b

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 08:58 PM

well, Macs can use all external hard drives made...fiber channel, scsi, NAS, SANS, USB, firewire, etc. some of course, may need an expansion card (fiber channel, scsi).

And you're going to wedge a FC or SCSI adapter into a Mac mini how?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 09:10 PM

You'll want to avoid the Mac mini and get an iMac if you want to get into video editing. One thing to note is that Apple's refurbished (used, then reconditioned) computers come with a full warranty and qualify for an extended warranty. So you needn't worry about the computer not working after you buy it.

Apple also offers free lessons on using their video editing software, so that would be worth looking into.

Also, Macworld is in just 1 week. You should at least wait until after Macworld to see if Apple announces any new products. Even if you can't afford the newest product, it will at least drive down the cost of the last generation products.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
And you're going to wedge a FC or SCSI adapter into a Mac mini how?
don't need to wedge anything in for SCSI; USB 2.0 to scsi cables and firewire to scsi adapters have been around for a long time.

i will get back to you on FC.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2008, 10:40 AM

Now I am 16 years old...
I’m guessing from your username and the current date that this means you’ve just turned 16 one of these past days. So happy birthday, and welcome.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 11:10 AM

Get a refurb. Core 2 Duo iMac...in fact I might do the same in a few months.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 06:31 PM

don't need to wedge anything in for SCSI; USB 2.0 to scsi cables and firewire to scsi adapters have been around for a long time.

i will get back to you on FC.
Why would you buy an external SCSI drive if you're just going to bottleneck it through Firewire or USB anyway?
More expensive and slower... winnar!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why would you buy an external SCSI drive if you're just going to bottleneck it through Firewire or USB anyway?
More expensive and slower... winnar!
nobody said you should. but if you happen to have an older external SCSI drive and wanted to use it on your new Mac that doesn't have PCI slots...

winnar!!!

the entire point was that new macs CAN use all external drives; it isn't limited to USB or firewire.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 11:45 PM

the entire point was that new macs CAN use all external drives; it isn't limited to USB or firewire.
eSATA on an iMac or Mac Mini?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
eSATA on an iMac or Mac Mini?
yup; again...simple cable adapter. dumb to do it; but if you had an eSATA drive just sitting around and you had to use on your iMac or mini...you can.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2008, 02:57 PM

yup; again...simple cable adapter. dumb to do it; but if you had an eSATA drive just sitting around and you had to use on your iMac or mini...you can.
Sorry but there's a big difference between natively handling an interface and adapting it to USB. It would be terribly deceptive to say that iMacs are eSATA compatible.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 04:37 PM

sorry, but who said anything about natively? my original statement is still true. don't put words into my mouth, k? so someone asking can "external drive X work with a mac", the answer is yes.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2008, 09:05 PM

sorry, but who said anything about natively? my original statement is still true. don't put words into my mouth, k? so someone asking can "external drive X work with a mac", the answer is yes.
Who said anything about natively? I did. I would never recommend a person use an adapter to get their external hard drive to work. That would not be a pleasant experience. So, while technically it would work, it would not work well. You're technically right, but also technically an ass.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 09:18 PM

yup, an ass. and correct. so are you done now? good. k. bye.

Forum Links
Forum Rules